Hub Cap - Keeping them from getting away

Started by houston54, June 30, 2008, 04:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

houston54

I am using some knock-off baby moon style caps on the GM rally rims and had one decide to take off on its own while making a slow turn.  Got the cap back with no damage and bent the mounting rim out a bit more so it would have more friction against the three "mounting" points the rally rims use.  

I have seen the wire leashes available but they do not appear to be workable with my style of cap.  

Are there any tricks to keeping these caps where they belong?  I was thinking of placing a dab of weatherstrip adhesive on each mounting point to lend some resistance.

phat46

I have used silicone adhesive on the plastic caps on my wheels on my '46 Chevy. I think it would fix your problem fine.

UGLY OLDS

I use "police car" type caps on my rally wheels. I too had a "pop-off" problem. Two wraps of duct tape around the mounting flange on the hub cap resolved it .....( Makes it fit tighter on the "nubs" on the wheels) ... 8)

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chopped

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"I use "police car" type caps on my rally wheels. I too had a "pop-off" problem. Two wraps of duct tape around the mounting flange on the hub cap resolved it .....( Makes it fit tighter on the "nubs" on the wheels) ... 8)

Bob.... :wink:
Same thing worked for me. Substituted electrical tape.