Fun Suprise

Started by sirstude, June 19, 2008, 09:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

Monday afternoon I noticed several hot rods that I had never seen running through Helena, and wondered where they were on the way to.  Later that evening I was helping a friend on his rig, and got a call to come up to one of the local hotels.  I got there and there were 78 cars from Idaho.  Seems this bunch of really nice people go every summer for a 7 day 6 night cruise somewhere.  This years runs left Nampa Idaho on Fathers day and was headed up to Glacier park.  Several of our people were there and then we set up a drive through the Mansion district of Helena and then over to the Capital.  We figured that probably 15 or 20 would go.  We ended up with over 60 cars traveling through Helena.  I know I sure enjoyed the time and the residents sure seemed to enjoy the impromptu parade through their neighborhoods.  The Idaho people also had much fun.  I am jealous of what they do every year.  That is what rodding should be about.  They don't travel in one large group, but leave in small bunches and they have made plans for stops at scenic points, resterants, side tours and the like.  They meet at specified hotels at the end of the day.  There were 5 guys that started this a few years ago, and one of them died 2 years ago.  The remaining 4 guys do all the planning, including making the hotel reservations starting in early fall.  They apparently even drive the route 2 or 3 times in the year before they leave to make sure it will work for everyone.  Mostly drive on secondary roads.

Here is a link to pictures of some of the cars that were here

Doug

http://picasaweb.google.com/orogard/CruiseIdaho2008HelenaMontana618708
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

purplepickup

I'm jealous too. It sounds like they have a great time. 8)

That's a nice mix of cars.  I'll bet the guy with the rollback gets invited every year.
George

kb426

Very good. How nice to have that many people that get along well enough to travel for a week.
TEAM SMART

sirstude

The guy with the rollback says he get 12mpg on the highway.  Big inch Ford with a blower.  They also have 2 support trucks with trailers that travel with them.  They each kick in 20 bucks for the upkeep.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Danimal

That is really cool. Looks like nearly every body style covered and every range from resto to muscle. Very nice. Glad that you had the chance to join in!

zzford

Being the anti-social type, I'm glad I don't get sucked into stuff like this! It sounds like far more fun than I'd ever want to be involved in! :wink: