My break in today

Started by sirstude, June 16, 2008, 10:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

The side issue of this, is I am just in a "Funk".  Kind of * off all the time, and wondering when it is going to happen again, or what the next thing will be.  This is kind of a surprising feeling, but I guess it is to be expected. I will get over it, but for the time being, I will go with the flow.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Quote from: "sirstude"The side issue of this, is I am just in a "Funk".  Kind of * off all the time, and wondering when it is going to happen again, or what the next thing will be.  This is kind of a surprising feeling, but I guess it is to be expected. I will get over it, but for the time being, I will go with the flow.

Doug

I went through this when my place was broken into. I think it's probably natural, because you feel a bit helpless. I came to terms with it, I am still much more aware of security than I was before. None of my stuff was ever recovered, it's been 10 years, and I am still looking for it. But you can't let the thieves run your life.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

Has anyone played with the X10 computer interface stuff.  A friend of mine has an alarm that uses that.  I looked at it a few years ago, but it would be nice to be able to control the lights in my garage from the house.  And if I can control the alarm from the house too, could be a bonus.  The web site I am looking at is www.x10.com

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

sirstude

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "sirstude"The side issue of this, is I am just in a "Funk".  Kind of * off all the time, and wondering when it is going to happen again, or what the next thing will be.  This is kind of a surprising feeling, but I guess it is to be expected. I will get over it, but for the time being, I will go with the flow.

Doug

I went through this when my place was broken into. I think it's probably natural, because you feel a bit helpless. I came to terms with it, I am still much more aware of security than I was before. None of my stuff was ever recovered, it's been 10 years, and I am still looking for it. But you can't let the thieves run your life.

Thanks Frank, that is kind of what I figure will happen as time goes on.  The best part of this, is nothing that I can see was taken.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

wayne petty

that kinda has me worried...   nothing taken...

several thoughts go through my mind...  

either ...    look at all this junk...

or...     were going to need a bigger truck..  

the second one is what worries me...

and what would get me doing even more....

i understand that there are a few tool makers here...  the knowledge of how to mark machine tools..   think of a few custom rubber stamps..(your name here)    with the proper etching solution to apply too each and every chrome tool in your boxes...        tig welding your name and contact number in the sides of the tool boxes...  and on other items...

crooks don't like to be caught with i'd items...

a friend of mine carries tons of computer stuff in his trunk... he now has a HF remote control winch running through some plastic electric conduit to hold the trunk closed..

this same thing could be used to latch the doors... spring loaded slide locks...   sliding plates that drop down blocking the door from opening.. need to be lifted by the cable with a spring to take up the excess tention ..

oh... another friend who works for a ford dealership out here had his brand new mac tool box stolen along with 8 or 9 other techs..

i want to put an armored cable in a  diamond plate box under the rollaway... the armored cable will pull out  to fasten to something really solid... like a lift... and can be reinserted into the box that mounts below the wheels.....    the armored cable i am thinking of has 1/2 inch steel cable and machined balls and spacers over the cable... so it cannot be reached with  cutters...

sirstude

Went out to the garage tonight and they tried again sometime today.  The door and frame are ruined, but the iron I put in stopped them.  I have the door bolted shut right now and just using the remotes on the overheads.  Will call the insurance company tomorrow, and they are going to put in a steel door with a steel frame this time.  The cop said that there were a couple more break ins today in the neighborhood, with nothing taken, excpet stuff like beer and the like.  They took a life vest at one place.  REALLY strange.  I was just starting to get over it, and here we go again.  My alarm was delivered today, so that is also on the agenda.  For now, I will just get out of the rig and reset the alarm by hand if necessary, just need to get it in.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

phat rat

Well give them an A for determination. After that they need some suprises. As to what kind I'll leave that up to you.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

sirstude

The cop was talking about I ought to wire up an electric fence generator on the door. right next to a camera, so I can enjoy it.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

Bugpac

stick 110 to the door and leave the hose on.... :D
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

wayne petty

last year i posted over in the throne room info to stop people from getting bumped...

has anybody else tried it...???     dual springs in a rear pin in the lock...

or .104 section silicone o rings cut to length to replace a top spring..  

just curious...

one more thing....

how many people have cheep ($30-$50) video cameras hooked up to old but still working vcr's...

phat rat

Quote from: "sirstude"The cop was talking about I ought to wire up an electric fence generator on the door. right next to a camera, so I can enjoy it.

Doug

Sounds like a plan. Hey maybe this/these guys are related to my visitor that morning. It certainly seems as though your targeted. Maybe this on the door would get them to thinking :lol:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Woody2B

I sat on a jury for what they called a "spring trap" case.  The guy owned rural property with a detached garage that kept getting broken into because he wasn't living there at the time.  He rigged up shotgun shells with model rocket igniters glued into the primer and stuck in PVC tubes aimed at the door.  A transformer hooked to the light switch would heat the igniters and fire the shells.  A sheriff he asked to check on the property happened to go in the garage, tried to turn on the lights (luckily power was off) and then noticed all the wires and tubes and got his * out of there.  They busted the homeowner for setting the trap.  He claimed he had them outside to go off and alert neighbors and the vandals must have relocated them to get him the next time he checked on his own property.  He was guilty as hell but we had to let him go because we couldn't prove he set it.  My problem was, the "vandals" used the same black RTV to glue down the tubes aimed at the door, that he admitted gluing the whole shot gun shell/PVC tube/igniter assembly with.  Moral of my ramble: don't go setting any kind of harmful traps to protect your property.  Innocent people will get hurt or the laws protect the criminals more than the victim.

wayne petty

well there goes my idea of using a nail gun or a box of drywall screws and spike the door from the inside ...  so lots of sharp things stick out around the lock  and down where they would try to kick it...

when i worked at the cad restoration shop... there was a secure room inside...   it seemed to have a metal door...  when i got a good look at it...  it had an aluminum door...   a solid aluminum door...  then i remembered the building was previously occupied by hughes tool and die... must have been where HH kept his handy cash...

i still think a video camera ...  with a old tv set running inside.. so it can be seen through the window...  nothing worse than seeing your self breaking in somewhere..... http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/135/Cameras/1.html

sirstude

Among other things, I will have steel tubes that the door latch and the deadbolt (that I did not get installed) go into, and they will continue on into the studs.  I will also have them welded to a flat plate that bolts to the wall studs.  I do like the idea of the camera on a TV, but will try to record it on my PC too.  What a PITA!!!!

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

wayne petty

camera hooked up to the pc...    got dsl... broadband...  stream it.