A New Junk Brother ?????????????

Started by Bob K, June 08, 2008, 10:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob K

It Rained all morning and we sat in the cars at the grounds and got bored. I thought that this was stupid as I have all kinds of stuff to do at home so I went back to the motel and packed up.

I decided to stop at the Comfort Suites in Brownsburg In. on my way out of Indy.

As I pulled into the parking lot I heard a loud clunk from my right front. At that, the power steering went away. Got out, looked at all of the wheels, nothing amiss.

Went inside and talked to the troops for a bit and told them about it. The junk brothers Sam (MO JUNK) and John (WZ Junk) went out and tried the steering. while this is going on, the left front wheel falls in at the top creating the worst negative camber situitaion I have ever seen. One of the bolts holding the cross arm to the hat of the MII suspension had loosened up.

A quick trip to Wally World which was right next door ( Thanks to Charlie Chops) and we are back with a floor jack and a pair of jack stands. (the jack will be an xmas present for my son, I'll keep the jack stands) and the repairs are under way. They got it fixed and back on it's feet and then it wouldn't start. Jumped it off of Sam's BEAST starter and it was good. Will change the starter today.

I am prolly gonna be the next junk brother. Since the showdown last year I have had these things go wrong.

Right rear wheel bearing ( thats to Clark and Sumo)
Left rear wheel bearing, on the way to Austin.
Power vent window motor in Austin
Broken outer race on left front and damaged rotor and the clip on the end of the nail and spring that holds the shoe to the backing plate broke causing the shoe to flop around in the drum. Power brake booster diaphram broke, replace the booster. All three of these kept me on a hoist at a chevron station in Cambria Ca. after leaving the the Paso Maria show.
Right rear wheel bearing again, only 4 miles from home on the way to Indy, went back to my shop and changed that, delaying the start of the trip just long enough to hit rush hour on the Illinois tollway around Chicago.
And then the described event at the Comfort.

I ain't complaining  or whining about this. I am so lucky to have so many good folks that can step up and help out when needed.

Maybe it's cause the ol girl has 65K on her now.

I could be "IS JUNK" is suppose.

Seems that all I'm doing latley is writing thak you's.

B :D B

I'm surprised that George hasn't posted pics yet.
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

phat rat

You know Bob it sounds as though if it weren't for BAD luck you'd have no luck at all. You've certainly had more than your share in the last two/three years. From what I've picked up on over on the Hamb I certainly made the right decision by leaving first thing yesterday morning. I was out of the rain before I hit Kokomo and had sunshine in Mi.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

57larry

good thing your problem didn't hit you while you were driving. I always carry my NSRA's fellow pages for help

river1

you know, if you didn't drive it anywhere nothing would break
but you know that won't happen :roll:  :roll:

just keep drivin and keep fixin

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Bob K

Got the new starter in this afternoon, gotta find out what that squeak is in the front end and then ready to leave for BG HHR on Wednsday.

Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

slocrow

Quote from: "Bob K"Got the new starter in this afternoon, gotta find out what that squeak is in the front end and then ready to leave for BG HHR on Wednsday.

The Squirrel cage probably needs lubing after that many miles. It won't hurt to change squirrels' too................. :lol:
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Charlie Chops 1940

I weathered the storm very well in the campground. The track roadster got very wet though! There was a lot of water standing around and a half dozen or so extremely stuck motorhome/stacker rigs. I was on relatively high ground. It rained for about 12-13 hours straight - from about 10 Friday night to 10 or 11 Saturday morning. The problem around Indy is that the ground is mostly clay so the water tends to hang around for days.

It is always fun to "help" Bob out. Some of us have done it in various far away places. It's bound to happen when ya drive the wheels off. Just glad we were there.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

MO_JUNK

Glad you made it home ok Bob. Sunday was actually pretty nice. We watched some of the eliminations and pulled out around 12:30. We flat-towed the HEAP. We made it to Rolla around 7:30. Even though the weather was bad Friday night and Saturday morning, we still had 3 nights of Garage Crawls. We met some new folks and made some new friends. As always we enjoyed the comaraderie with all of you that attended. All-in-all, a * fine weekend. Sam

WZ JUNK

It was a great weekend even with the rain.

Glad you made it home okay Bob.

Best news yet is that it looks like I have fixed my computer so that I can not post on the rrt.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Bob K

I wouldn't have made it out of the parking lot without the help of you two guy's.

Thanks again

river1

hey bob

did you sustain any damage from the storms?

i noticed some antigo date lines on some of the new articles.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Bob K

Thanks for asking Jim, nope, lots of trees down and shingles off of roofs but nothing major like last year. We had a toronado wipe out a whole resort complex to the tune of 1 million.