Sun Visors Sagging

Started by teal32, June 04, 2008, 04:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teal32

Is there a good way to fix a sagging sun visor? I've tried tightening them with no luck. Of course it's the one in front of the better half.
Your drug test came back positive...Welcome aboard!

Don\'t get to close....I\'m alergic to stupid

UGLY OLDS

What kind of car.. :?:  I went crazy fixing the visors in the Olds ...But it "woiked"..... :D

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

teal32

It's a '40 Chevy Coupe. I hate to have to replace the entire unit since it matched the rest of the interior. I haven't checked "Chevy's of the 40's" or any of the other parts places to see if only the mechanism can be purchased. I was hoping that there was some magic that I can perform.

UGLY OLDS

1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

junkyardjeff

Are they the original sunvisors are late models?.

teal32

Pretty sure they are originals, just recovered. They were in the car. There aren't any other '40 Chevys in the area to look at, to verify if they are original. They "look" like originals when I check on line.

oldmanolds

Quote from: "teal32"Pretty sure they are originals, just recovered. They were in the car. There aren't any other '40 Chevys in the area to look at, to verify if they are original. They "look" like originals when I check on line.
Hey I'd like to know the answer to this question.I've got the same problem on the same side of my '40 Olds.Sags,loose a real pain in the butt!
GETTING OLD SUCKS..BUT IT SURE BEATS THE ATERNATIVE.     www.stophd.org

junkyardjeff

I dont know anything about the originals but if they were late model GMs I know how to fix them.  Jeff

oldmanolds

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I dont know anything about the originals but if they were late model GMs I know how to fix them.  Jeff
OK lay it on me.My '40 Olds has a later version triangle 3 hole mount.It mounts to the original bracket,but on the passenger side it's lose as hell.

junkyardjeff

On the latemodel GM visors the chrome base where it bolts to the roof can be removed by removing the screw that is seen on one side of the visor and it goes through the material,if you remove the base you will see a thin plastic bushing in the visor and that keeps it tight and sometimes just tightening the screw will tighten it up some.      That sometimes does not fix the problem as the shaft that comes  out of the base that goes into the visor will come loose from the part that bolts it to the roof and it can be welded or epoxied or replaced with parts from the junkyard as I doubt they are still available from the dealer.  The thin plastic bushings used to be available at the local discount parts stores in the red help packages but I have not seen them lately.  Jeff

oldmanolds

If it wasn't so frickin' hot I'd go out and do it right now.Thanks for the info,I'll try to work on it in the morning.