My 38 Ford PU, the beginning

Started by 38FordPU, May 30, 2008, 01:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

38FordPU

WOW  all of you have already been a huge help.  I like the traditional street rods, like something my grandfather might have built back in the 50's. I like the lowered look, but not scraping low. I have really started to like the "parts hauler" look that is becoming so popular. I just want something to be able to hop in take my kids for a cruse. I have pretty much ruled out using the 79 frame. Now I have to find a frame from that period, that could be a task I think. Not much survived the salted roads of PA. I have the complete truck, a good cab (minus the bottom of the doors, no biggie), the fenders, good side curtains with emblems, a hood, the box and even a tail gate. I also bought a 40 Ford truck that is way worse for the left side of the box and the tailgate. The frame is real shot on that one. The problem is when I bought it I brought it home in a few box's. I was 13 and had big dreams, here I am 15 years later sitting in a combat zone trying to make them come true. Funny how that works. So here I am, just trying to get a start while I am here. Thank all of you for all of your great advice so far. I look forward to any help I can get. Thanks again Jason

Dave

Quote from: "38FordPU"WOW  all of you have already been a huge help.  I like the traditional street rods, like something my grandfather might have built back in the 50's. I like the lowered look, but not scraping low. I have really started to like the "parts hauler" look that is becoming so popular. I just want something to be able to hop in take my kids for a cruse. I have pretty much ruled out using the 79 frame. Now I have to find a frame from that period, that could be a task I think. Not much survived the salted roads of PA. I have the complete truck, a good cab (minus the bottom of the doors, no biggie), the fenders, good side curtains with emblems, a hood, the box and even a tail gate. I also bought a 40 Ford truck that is way worse for the left side of the box and the tailgate. The frame is real shot on that one. The problem is when I bought it I brought it home in a few box's. I was 13 and had big dreams, here I am 15 years later sitting in a combat zone trying to make them come true. Funny how that works. So here I am, just trying to get a start while I am here. Thank all of you for all of your great advice so far. I look forward to any help I can get. Thanks again Jason

Hey Jason welcome and thanks for defending our country.. ...My step daughter is going over there next month.. She is in the air force.. There is a lot of good info on the board here.. Im not a truck guy so im prolly no help on frames and stuff but i can do suspensions for under em
Dave :lol:

GPster

Ther is a shop that mostly only works on this vintage Ford frames. He advertises up-grading you old frame or has frames in stock and takes your's as a core. In may wandering around I'll see if I can come up with the name or maybe someone else will add it. Usually those frames shared weak spots and the same places to trap whatever  but are both of the frames bad in the same places? It has been said that turning those early frames over to hydralic brakes was just a bolt in deal with the later parts (pedals and such)so maybe the two frames could make one, Some of the stuff would be removed for up-grading anyway. or you can start searching the WEB for Ranger specs. It's easier to make a long frame shorter so maybe you can look at wheelbases for long bed and/or extended cab pick-ups. 15 years ain't all that bad. I bouht my Jeepster in '93. It had sat in a cow field since '71. It had a flat Ford engine in it that I got running and now it's sitting on it's second frame. I've put 3 different engines in it 2 transmissions 2 steering assemblies 1 different rear end (plus 2 in the new frame) and it's still sitting in the back yard. Plus I'm on our third computor in 8 years. This will give you something to do just reading. GPster

kb426

I have a friend that put his 40 on a s-10 frame. It wasn't too bad a deal. I seem to recall that there are some frame manufactures' that do the frame you need. Depending on how much money you want to spend, your decision will be made for you. The s-10 deal will give you an inexpensive front and rear suspension. That may not be what you want though. Tell us more of your plan.
TEAM SMART

Danimal

Rangers and S10s are dimeadozen trucks. You might be able to get a cheap runner, swap the body, and run it for a bit while you scrounge for a traditional or stock frame

I don't know much about the Rangers but the S10 has a joint under the door where the front and rear frame halves come together. In about 10 minutes you can grind this out and slide the frame apart, cut out what you don't need, and slide it back together. We did this with my son's '54 Chevy truck and it worked great. We altered the wheel base a little bit so the tires fit under the fenders better in the rear and off we went. May even get it running this weekend depending on the weather.

I've gotten tons of help from here and on the HAMB (www.jalopyjournal.com) There are also a few old Ford truck sites that might be able to give you more frame specs as well.