stuck in Afghanistan

Started by 38FordPU, May 30, 2008, 05:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

38FordPU

Hello, My name is Jason and I am currently serving in Afghanistan with the Pa Army National Guard. To help keep myself sane I am trying to plan out my restoration/rodding of my 38 Ford PU. I am looking for any advice I can get. I bought a 1979 F100 to use for for a donor frame and I would like to know how relistic this is. The original frame did not come with the truck and the one that did come with it is a 1947 ford frame( i think it is a 3/4 ton because it sits rather stout). I don't know where to begin or if the 79 was even a good match. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. Proudly serving  Jason

Danimal

Jason,

Welcome aboard and thanks for your service. Keep your head down!

I think the 79 frame is going to be a bit wide for what you are building. You might lean towards building a new one or keeping an eye out for something closer to stock. What lug patern is on the '47? I'm no Ford guy but would think if it is 8 lug it is 3/4 ton and up. What is the wheel base? It might be OK.

Can you elaborate on what your 'dream truck' looks like? Fenders? Hood? Traditional? Independent suspension? Flatty? OHV? Those will help us AND give you something to focus on.

There are guys here that will point you in the right direction. Well, the few that KNOW the right direction. There are those that will just point, also... They are the ones that have to lay their Team Smart jackets down on the floor to put them on like in Kindergarten class. It is OK though, they have their names and bus numbers on the inside if they get lost.

Dan

EMSjunkie

Welcome Jason.

Thanks for your service

get home safe.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

GPster

I'll tell you what I think I know. I think up until '41 the small Ford pickups shared their frames with the passenger cars. You will not be as fortunate with the sheetmetal ( the front clips are different). I also think that the '37 to '40 frames are relatively close to each other with '37 to '39 using the "wide 5" wheels and the '39 ("wide 5") and '40 ( 5 x 5 1/2") having hydralic brakes. I think that a '79 Ford truck may have slightly too wide tread width although I think '79 may have been the last year before Ford's next jump in width so that thought might be debatable. What you will find is the "twin-I-beam" front suspension which will make that suspension rather difficult to get "Down". The wheelbase of that frame will probably be too long but truck frames are fairly easy to shorten and you could probably "Z" it during the shortening process and doctor the springs so that your lighter '38 body doesn't ride so much like a trash hauler. Unfortunately, I can come up with a lot of ideas but it would be helpful to know more about what you've got and what you want. Do you only have the truck cab or do you have front sheetmetal and the bed also? Does the cab have a floor? What style and use do you have planned for this vehicle? Don't mis-understand me but if you want this vehicle to be un-fendered, chopped,channeled, sectioned and ground scraping then your chassis choice would be bad but maybe there are pieces to save (9" rear end). The best choice here would probably be buid your own frame under the body, above the ground, between the wheels and around that 9" rear end. I like that style but I'm dis-abled enough not to be able to get in one let alone drive it. Now if you have enough of the truck's sheetmetal to be planning to build a nice servicable "street rodded" truck my first suggestion would be check out and see if I'm correct about the passenger car frames. If I am, there would be more suggestions on what would bolt together and a four year span of frames that wouldn't be model specific would probably turn up a donor. Half-way between these ends I have heard that Ford Ranger frames seem to sit well under these trucks. We've started this discussion. Let's build what you want. GPster

purplepickup

Welcome to the RRT Jason, and thank you for serving our country.  Many of us here have served too....more than a few years ago for some of us.   :wink:  

I don't know much about using the later model ford frame on your '38 but I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here.

Be careful over there and good luck with your build.
George

phat rat

Welcome Jason. GPster is right, the Ford 1/2T and passenger car shared frames and a car frame from 36-40 would fit right under your truck with only mods to the body mounts needed. The 79 frame would be too wide I'm sure.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

The Ranger frame is a good idea too, the right tread width front and rear. There may be some difficulty lowering it, but they make lowered beams for Rangers.

Your cab is a near bolt on to a 47 truck frame, and the only real difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton is the thickness of the frame, and the wheelbase.

What style build are you planning?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Jason...Welcome to the RRT...Thank You for serving our Country "over there" ...You will get help here...LOTS of experience on this board...

Stay safe ..

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Danimal

I think GPster and Enjenjo are on the track with the Ranger frame. IIRC there was an article some years ago where someone was making fiberglass 30's/40's Ford trucks to mount on Ranger frames. It might be close enough to use steel.

I was also thinking that maybe you could get away with a similar year car frame if you don't mind the kick up. I would think you'd get a bit lower than a truck with that and have a similar wheelbase AND still be able to run a traditional drivetrain and dropped axle.

There is a '46 4 door around the corner from me with the flatty still in it for $1500. Not too bad looking at that other than all the doors. You might be able to score something like that.

Might not matter if it is a Ford/Chevy/Mopar frame either.

48ford

Thank you for serving our country,and keeping us safe.
I know a guy that put a 40 ford pick up on a S-10 frame and still had to use a vega box to clear everything.
He lives out by you Frank
When you get home go join the vfw,we all need each other
Russ

38FordPU

Hello Russ,
 I am a step ahead of you on joining the VFW. I filled out my membership information right before I left to come here, this is my second tour so I was already qualified. I am excited to get home and maybe I will see you at the VFW sometime. Maybe we can go crusin with our rods when I get back, if i ever get her on the road. Thank you and have a great  day. Jason