I have now officially applied for team smart membership

Started by chimp koose, May 27, 2008, 01:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "chimp koose"I just priced out a new eagle crank. i will probably get one. When I last was drag racing there wasn't much available in affordable aftermarket parts. My how things have changed!

Chimp...Perhaps check with Bugpack...Len may be able to help you with pricing from Speedway or ???  I don't know about the shipping into Canada or if the current "exchange rate" would be a benefit or not ...
Just a thought ... :idea:

Bob .....
:wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

I am getting a new eagle crank with bearings $260CDN taxes & shipping included. The local rebuilders wanted $120 more for a reground stocker.Thanks guys for the offers but I have already ordered.Lets all hope I don`t drop this one carrying it into the shop!

wayne petty

change the front main bolts.... if you have mixed them up   replace all... cheep insurance...

and ... is the balancer getting replaced also... along with the crank pulley???

i have had to swap out several 4.3 v6 cranks on low milage rebuilds...

the crank breaks between the front main and the front rod...  i think this is from the BFH installation method of harmonic balancer installation..  it is the only thing i would think of where these cranks have snapped... oh... they still run...  in some cases..

please throw a  neodymium super magnet in the  oil pan....   radio shack has them ... if no other sources are available...

chimp koose

Wayne , the first thing to hit the floor was the balancer. I am replacing it with an S.F.I. rated one as the car will probably run into the 10's at the strip.Funny you mentioning engines running with broken cranks as I had that happen at work . Engine removed due to extreme knocking. Upon teardown we discovered V6 crank broken in half at an angle on #3 of 4 main journal crank and it was still running!

Carps

Welcome to the team Chimp, that beats my busted sprin and ankle by a good country mile.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sorry I shouldn't laugh but my falling down the steps is kinda funny compared to your misshap.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

wayne petty

i can nominate some friends...

at a shop i used to trouble shoot at...

a bronco 2... v6... port injection... they ask me to have a look.. the gasoline was hydraulic locking the engine.....   i told them to check and change the fuel pressure regulator...     a few days later they called me back... they said the pressure regulator was good..  and they had changed the injectors twice.. and it was still filling the drivers side rear cylinders with gas...

i walked over and pulled the pressure regulator vacuum hose off at the manifold and aimed it at the tech...  go ahead and try it now...  after he changed his uniform and washed up the new regulator got installed..

same guy...  

dead a/c system on a 87-89 cad..     i told him about the power module in the blower box...  a few days later they called me back. the customer had returned the car... the a/c service lamp was on....  but there were no codes for it.....    the a/c system worked fine...   the tech had taken the dash all apart and checked every part for proper operation..  they all worked perfectly...    i got there got in on the passenger side and ask him to show me...  he turned on the key... the a/c service lamp came on .. then turned off..    see there it is... but it does not set a code...  he had found the bulb check test... since the a/c had been out for years... the customer had never seen the a/c service light come on and thought it was a problem...

my entry was on a 80 -81 camaro with early feed back carb system.. C3..
i actually went to gm school for this system... so i am familiar..  except this car had a rat problem... they had chewed through the harness under the hood...   i fixed what i could see... and then verified the wires with my digital volt meter... and some long test leads...

i got to  the last circuit that had a short to ground.. and i could not find it... the meter just kept beeping... it was getting late and i was burned out... i decided to quit there and come back the next day...  so i unplugged the meter...  there i am... hours of work.. searching for the last short to ground...  and the meter .. in my hand... unplugged ... is still beeping...