gas questions

Started by river1, May 24, 2008, 08:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

i was going to put this in "close to 4 bucks a gal thread but then thought it needed it's own thread.

talkin with one of the fellas at work today. he said it costs him $11 dollars a day, round trip, just to go to work :shock:  i did some math in my head and it costs me $5.50 a day, round trip.

what's the math for you folks???

on the news this morning they were talkin about the US going to a 4 day work week (4 tens) to save gas. one less trip to work a week.

would it work?
would you be willing to do it?

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

phat46

I would guess it would cost me  about $3:00 a day to drive to work. It's the trips afterwards that would add up for me.  We were working a four day week for a while this year, but we're back to six days a week now due to business. I would love to stay on the four day week, but it's impractical for the type of business i work at. It definately helps  as far as gas useage goes to do the four day week; I have been contemplating riding a bicycle one day a week, it's about 3.5 miles one way for me and i could always use the exercise anyway.  :D  I'm going to be retiring in a month so it's really a moot point for me now....

UGLY OLDS

I spend $1.20 each way in TOLLS... :shock:  Add another $8 / $10 for fuel...And I get 19 MPG+  on my daily.....I'm just thankful I work the hours I do...I'm able to beat the "rush" in both directions .... 4-10's are not possible in our business...We run 24/7..... 8)

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Carnut

ah, well, being retired, don't use much gas from the bedroom to the living room.

4day workweeks is ok with me.

Just don't want any gas rationing.

Crosley.In.AZ

fuel costs only ?  

we travel 34 miles one direction.  We carpool more now since Janice finished her schooling for a degree. She attended night classes 3-4 times a week for a few years

numbers are;

Jetta averages 41 - 43 mpg.  Diesel fuel   lately has been 4.05 to 4.10 a gallon in metro area of phoenix.  Just under 8 bucks a day for fuel.

I've chatted with  the general manager at work about this very subject of 4 day work week; 4-10s  or a 9 - 80 deal.  Work 9 days with a total of 80 hours if the 4-10 was rejected by the family - owners of the business

We have an employee who drives in from Casa Grande every day.  River1 would under stand the length of the drive.  He says he puts in 100 bucks a week of gasoline in a 4 cyl GM Colorado pickup.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

t-vicky

Quote from: Carnutah, well, being retired, don't use much gas from the bedroom to the living room.

A 4 day workweek would be a big increase for you.  
 He comes out to my shop & sits and watches me work all day.  Then tells me I just wear him out working him so hard.
Course I only work about a 2 day week myself.

Carnut

Quote from: "t-vicky"
Quote from: "Carnut"ah, well, being retired, don't use much gas from the bedroom to the living room.

A 4 day workweek would be a big increase for you.  
 He comes out to my shop & sits and watches me work all day.  Then tells me I just wear him out working him so hard.
Course I only work about a 2 day week myself.

Heh, heh, well, I did manage to get the oil changed in the Chrysler.

enjenjo

The other day, I needed a part that Ididit had. it is a 100 mile round trip, $16 in gas plus nearly 2 hours time. Shipping was $12. I had it shipped :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Fast.Fords

Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating or something.  My shop is 20 paces out the back door of the house, a grocery store across the street, and I run the shop truck on E-85...  The biggest fuel expense is getting to the drag strip on weekends, but it's only 60 miles away.  We used to race alternate weekends at another facility that is 200 miles away, not doing that one this year!!!!

Kustm52

76 mile round trip.. 24 mpg (out of a '89 camaro with 210k miles at that!) figures out to a little over $12 per day right now.  I worked a 3 day week for years, but 2 yrs ago a new boss decided everyone was working 5. Mgt. is currently "considering" a five day week.

Oh, hi everyone. been a while since I've been on here..

Brian

58 Yeoman

I drive 25 miles one way, and the Ranger gets approx. 17, so I'm paying over $8 per day.  That 3% raise I got this week puts me farther in the hole than I was.

I work in receiving and supplying production with supplies...maybe I should talk with the boss about working 4 10's.

$40 per week with the truck, and I could cut that in half if the weather co-operates and I can ride the Goldwing.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Uncle Bob

Quote from: "river1"would it work?
would you be willing to do it?

later jim

My guess is it would for a while.............until people get used to the price (assuming some stability settles in).  We've seen this movie before in the '70s and that's what happened.  People adjusted their budgets and plan their non-work trips to be more efficient.  The big kicker is, when it happened before we "only"  had to deal with rising crude prices and inflation in the rest of the economy.  This time, in addition to those factors, we're having to compete with emerging economies for energy resources at a level unlike before.  My concern is we don't have as much competitive spirit as a nation that we once had.  Instead of releasing our efforts to expand our energy base, to dominant political voices continue to constrict our options instead.  It's great for increasing their personal power but not for the citizen's general benefit.  I'm with Carnut, if any of the ideas most frequently floated in Washington are implemented we'll be back in lines again.  I'm kind of surprised we haven't also heard about bringing back another, old, ineffective measure...........55 mph.

As for my doing a 4 day work week................it would probably be too big a shock to my bride, so I'll generously not subject her to that pain.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

enjenjo

A 4 day work week would not make a difference. I'm willing to bet you are not going to set home on that extra day off.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bugpac

I drive about 18 miles each way, last week i filled the van, avg 14.4 MPG, this fillup I have been running 60-62 mph going to see what the difference is in the overall picture....I think i spend about 9.00 per day as well on fuel....
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

Ed ke6bnl

I guess I win, 42 miles each way 82 miles of diesel at $5 per gallon  17mpg. $24.17 per day.  Will be a contributing factor in retiring this or next year.  Hopefully get my 53 chevy on the road for commute.  My start driving the 50f1 all get better milage and gas cheaper then diesel. Oh well leaving for a couple weeks vacation end of the week diesel pulling trailer about 14mpg. $5 per gallon may seem cheap in the sierras. Ed
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,