'50 Suburban Grill Suggestions?

Started by johnnib, May 19, 2008, 05:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnib

I currently have a project street rodding a '50 Suburban and want to redesign the "massive front grill" to something a little less dominant and a little more contemporary.  Dose anyone have any suggestions or photos of '47-54 Chevy pickup grill modifications, radical or otherwise that might accomplish my wish or give me food for thought? Thanks

enjenjo

You could remove the top grille bar, or weld it to the body and paint it to match. I have also seen one with a 47 Car grille in it. Lots of work, and I don't know if I like it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Danimal

You put that 47 car grill in and it becomes that Southern Trucking Co truck!!

You could go with '54 fenders so they are shorter and drop a bar or two from your grill.

wayne petty

i keep thinking about how nice a waterjet or plasma cam cut grill would look...

with    horizontal and vertical bars that interlock for stability...

chromed or painted....   1 inch openings.. with 3/16 flat stock...

johnnib

Quote from: "Danimal"You put that 47 car grill in and it becomes that Southern Trucking Co truck!!

You could go with '54 fenders so they are shorter and drop a bar or two from your grill.

I'm thinking now of trying to join the top and bottom of the '54 grill and remove the nose bar and fill the mouth with some fancy woven stainless steel wire mesh (like the new Cadillacs, Jags and Chryslers).  When you say the '54 fenders are shorter is that the length)headlight to door jamb dimension or from top of fender to running board line? John

Danimal

The height from the headlight to bottom edge is less. There is a detent in the front for the marker lights though.

Enjenjo has a '51 fender he might be able to measure and I've got '54s here.

Mac

I'm not really sure what this truck started out as, F1 maybe, but you did say radical and modern.  :)
Taken at  York, PA Nats some time ago. The little fellow mugging for the camera turned 18 today.  :?
Who\'s yer Data?