Pulling a nine inch diff Q

Started by C9, May 17, 2008, 08:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

I have a new floor style auto trans jack and was wondering if anyone has used one of these to pull or install a nine inch diff?

I've done ok with a floor jack, but it can be a little spooky at times.
Wouldn't take much to let it get away from you.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

wayne petty

well i could not get to the van.  so no dry lakes trip today...

i was looking at 8 and 9 inch rear ends this last few weeks..   for the fairlane project...

i was thinking of how i would support a 8 or 9 inch rear end center section  on a jack... with a removable saddle..

an offset rod that goes through the u joint opening in the yoke... or a flat plate that bolts to the face of the yoke and a upper piece that has a big bolt  to lock into the upper webbing to stop it from rolling over...

C9

Thanks Wayne, good ideas.

I've thought of building something, but thought I'd ask if anyones used the trans jack for the diff.

If things work out, I'll probably do a swap in a week or two and let you know what happened.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

UGLY OLDS

Quotei was thinking of how i would support a 8 or 9 inch rear end center section  on a jack... with a removable saddle..

an offset rod that goes through the u joint opening in the yoke... or a flat plate that bolts to the face of the yoke and a upper piece that has a big bolt  to lock into the upper webbing to stop it from rolling over...[/quote
]

Picture a piece of 8" wide flat stock ( 3/16"-- :?:  :?:  )...Front part bent 90* up to bolt to the front of the pinion yoke ,( or pinion flange if that's what you have), rear part bent 90* up & "scalloped" to fit the radius of the area below the pinion bearings.....Drill a hole in the middle of the flat bottom area & loosly bolt it to the part of the jack where the saddle was removed from so it could "wobble" around a bit but still be secure......... :idea:  :idea: Maybe a piece of 1" load binder strap around the plate & rear end housing for the more "timid"  :?:  :)    If I could only draw pitchers with this dumb thing .... :x  :x  :lol:  :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****