32 3window linc plate placemnt

Started by Daveyboy, May 15, 2008, 12:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveyboy

Ok I know some of you have built a 32 3window high boy
show me how you mounted you linc. plate.
The back pan is so much smaller on a 3 window than a 5  
Show me guy

Dave

Quote from: "Daveyboy"Ok I know some of you have built a 32 3window high boy
show me how you mounted you linc. plate.
The back pan is so much smaller on a 3 window than a 5  
Show me guy

Davey your gonna have to wait till i get home and go thru my pics... It will fit and i also used an aluminum frame with a third brake light in it.. The bottom of the plate will hang over the lower body line a bit. I put the bolts thru the plate and then put vacuum caps (the rubber ones) over the bold ends to insulate them from the body and attached the plate to the body at the top . I drilled and tapped the fiberglass to hold the plate on and it worked fine (i did that on the roadster too). You just dont reef the bolts down and it will last forever.. Ill get a pic up tonite
Dave

How about using a spring loaded bracket and mounting it underneath.I believe they can still be had at the GM dealer.I have done several this way.....when parked,it can be flipped up and out of sight.I will admit,I've been pulled over more than once for forgetting to put it down though.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

rumrumm

This is how I did mine. I built a frame with sides that curve around that bolt to the frame. The license plate and billet frame bolt to it.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

chimp koose

can you use a power window mechanism and make it retractable?I would try it on my car but I have no room in the trunk.

Woody2B

I like the spring loaded hinge idea.  Maybe you could add some kind of limit switch to it that would work a reminder light on the dash.  Or, wire it into the starter solenoid so the car won't start if the plate is in the up position. Would make a great anti theft deterent also!

rumrumm

I don't have enough room to make it retractable. It doesn't bother me that a person sees my plate as it is my handle for all my website forums.  I do not run a front plate, and so far [knock on wood] the men in blue have left me alone.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

HotRodLadyCrusr

They make a retractable one that drops down when you turn the key on.  Dad had one on his '37 ragtop.  Really cleaned up the lines on the rear end.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Daveyboy

I have the stock tank and bar there. I want to put a hollywood light on but there is not much room.
Any one have a pic of that?

Dave

Daveyboy

Can you show me a close up?
And where did you get that part?
thanks Dave

Dave

Im trying to find one davey but its a billet specialties frame with 3rd brake light and license light but there are copies on ebay  that are cheaper. I have one on my roadster.
Dave

river1

here is one guys's version of a retractable plate

http://www.project33.com/article.cfm?ID=674

three total pages

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

C9

Never have understood the retractable plate bit.
Seems that designing in a place and holding device for a plate is part of the engineering challenge.

Gotta admit, Jims posted site with the sliding plate shows a nice piece of work.

I like the two bolt method with 18 gage stainless backer.

Note that the stainless backer hangs the plate down about 2" so as to make it more visible to the gendarmes.
Easily seen from a vehicle, if you're on foot and somewhat close the plate doesn't show.

I did run a plate sized stainless backer and was never bothered by the Men in Blue, but decided it ought to hang down a touch so they wouldn't be tempted to stop me.

The cars we build and drive are so one of a kind that's the first thing spotted anyway.

The pic shows the present day rear plate setup.
When the frame was built I made and welded in a pair of 1/4-20 weld bungs flat in the rear crossmember.
Makes for a quick plate install.

License plate light is out of sight and bolts to the trunk floor.

Here's an on-foot shot of the 32 at the drags.
A bit of the plate is hidden, but when you're in a vehicle behind the car it's fully visible.

Sunny California requires a front plate and the same method, threaded weld bungs and a stainless backer were used there.

Arizona doesn't require a front plate, I run the Route 66 Fun Run plate they give us every year.
This year, cool design, flames and a partially black background, just the thing for a black car.

The 2006 Fun Run plate.

Here's a little better pic of this years plate.

Yeah, I put the blackwalls back on the back.
Wide & tall blackwalls are getting hard to find.
I didn't like the look of the car with the narrower wheels that sat too close in with the deeper wheelspacing.
Woulda been idea for  fendered car though.

Still running the WWs in front, I plan to flop em and run the skinny WW on the inside and wear em out....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

UGLY OLDS

Yeah, I put the blackwalls back on the back.
Still running the WWs in front, I plan to flop em and run the skinny WW on the inside and wear em out....
[/quote]

Everybody should spend some time lookin' at this photo...
Small rubber axle bumpers... :idea:
Sway bar mounted BEHIND the axle... :idea:
Grade 8 hardware.. :idea:

These's a LOT of neat stuff happening under there  :!:

Good Job C9.. :)  :!:   Oh..About the whitewalls......GREAT idea.. :P

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****