Mustang II strut rods

Started by t-vicky, April 29, 2008, 11:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-vicky

I know this subject has been talked to death on here & I think I have read them all. Anyway, I have trouble with the strut rod brackets cracking out on the frame on my 40 Chevy sedan. They are only 3/16 steel & have been straightend & welded twice now. I am thinking of building some from 3/8 steel mounted on a steel plate that could then be welded to the frame.  Then I found this in a magazine. Looks like an easy bolt on fix, but I am not sure about the leverage that would be going on with it,  Would appreciate some opinions on this.  Thanks  

40 Chev

I used the following kit this one is from Macgyvers, the one I used was from somebody else put is identical I added a gusset at the end of the long bolt not sure if I needed it but it doesn't hurt. I've also seen these on many other vehicles.

http://www.macgyvers.com/susp/Cat/mustang2Components.pdf

enjenjo

Quote from: "40 Chev"I used the following kit this one is from Macgyvers, the one I used was from somebody else put is identical I added a gusset at the end of the long bolt not sure if I needed it but it doesn't hurt. I've also seen these on many other vehicles.

http://www.macgyvers.com/susp/Cat/mustang2Components.pdf

I have used similar kits, but add another mount from the frame to the back side of the strut bolt.

The bottom of the frame where the normal strut rod mount welds is only about .100 thick, and is not strong enough for the bending forces applied by an original strut rod.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Rob

Quote from: "t-vicky"I know this subject has been talked to death on here & I think I have read them all. Anyway, I have trouble with the strut rod brackets cracking out on the frame on my 40 Chevy sedan. They are only 3/16 steel & have been straightend & welded twice now. I am thinking of building some from 3/8 steel mounted on a steel plate that could then be welded to the frame.  Then I found this in a magazine. Looks like an easy bolt on fix, but I am not sure about the leverage that would be going on with it,  Would appreciate some opinions on this.  Thanks  

For what it's worth, I had the same problem with my tubular strut rod brackets.  I contacted Paul Horton (formally of Hortons Hot Rod Parts, now of Welder Series) and he set me up with (believe it or not) engine mounting brackets.  I cut them to fit, and mounted them on a plate that I bolted to the bottom of the frame (37 Chev).  A couple of gussets, drill out the hole for the bolt, and I've had over 7,000 miles so far and they work great!  It is P/N 20492 from Welder Series, and I gotta say, it works great.  He even included the plates to mount the brackets too.  I attached a picture of the item....
Just one possible solution

Welder Series

thanks very much for the link... I didn't want to be the first to suggest one of our parts.  I think it's a great solution.

We also have a strut rod bracket kit... p/n 108140.

Thanks again

dw

enjenjo

Here is one we did recently. Makes it much stronger. Notice how the bracket is welded to two sides of the frame.

Welder Series

Thanks for using our parts.  

Would you mind if I use that picture in a TTDWAB newsletter?

enjenjo

river1

Quote from: "Welder Series"Thanks for using our parts.  

Would you mind if I use that picture in a TTDWAB newsletter?

maybe put a link to the RRT in it also, a new infusion of rodders would be good around here. the more the merrier.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

t-vicky

I really like that kit from Macyvers.  Like the fact that they are SS & very little over your head welding.  Called them today to get prices & was told that they dont make them anymore due to the price of steel.
Can anyone tell me of any outher company that makes this type of kit?  I did a google  search & didnt find anything except the one I posted the pic of. Thanks for all the input from you guys.

Welder Series

Charlie Chops 1940

I have a Heidt's strut arm like that on my '40 Chevy. Been there close to 20 years and still working good.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

t-vicky

Have desided to straighten & weld the brackets that are on the frame right now for the stock strut rods & add the ones in the first picture on this post.  Make sure every thing is in line right & there shouldnt be any binding.  Kind of spread the load over 2 different points.  Anyone see any reason this wouldnt work?

Pep

We use a similar f/e over here in Oz...L300. The strut rod set up looks identical...I wouldn't be surprised if they even had the same bolt spacing on the control arm....Would be interesting to measure and compare. In any case, when I set mine up, I set the mounting brackets at right angles to the rod when to control arms were level (optimun position ) I also made sure the hole in the bracket is about 3/8" more in diameter to allow for travel and avoid binding. Urethane bushes on both sides of the bracket help as well. Here is a pic of the rod, the control arm is not exactly level as there is no  body weight on it then.

So far, after 1 1/2 years of driving, there is no signs of cracking.
See Ya
Pep