Thrash on my son's '54 truck 4/13, Riga, Michigan

Started by Danimal, April 09, 2008, 12:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danimal

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256016

I don't post here much. Just come buy to add my important goat roping information and ask stupid questions. No team smart cap or anything. Yet.

Anyway, just wanted to post up here that any of you Ohio/Michigan guys (or anyone that wants to make the journey) are invited to help thrash on Courtland's truck this weekend.

For those who don't know. He's 15 and his first car will be a '54 Chevy pick up on an S10 frame. He's bankrolled most of the project and has done the majority of the welding. He's picked up a 327, a NV3500, and lots of other odds and ends over the years.

I'm hoping to get the brakes all sorted out and anything anyone wants to tackle on Sunday. The truck is at his Grandma's house and she normally comes home from FL in May but a cousin's wedding has crashed our hot rod party! She'll be home somewhere between the 19-21!

Those that know me know that I go everywhere with my boys (when they let me) and they dig their projects and your's, too!

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

sounds like fun :!:

if i lived in the area i'd be there.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Danimal

Thanks, Frank. I'll try to get a better picture of what I'm up against on that trans brace. Not much room and I stood on my head to take the one that came out horribly!

I think it is just over 1". I was thinking of a U bracket with tabs for bolting it onto the mount. It makes it easier to change later on when I've got to do the clutch after he burns one up!

Might need your expertise on the motor as well. I'm VERY close to the steering shaft.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Danimal"Thanks, Frank. I'll try to get a better picture of what I'm up against on that trans brace. Not much room and I stood on my head to take the one that came out horribly!

I think it is just over 1". I was thinking of a U bracket with tabs for bolting it onto the mount. It makes it easier to change later on when I've got to do the clutch after he burns one up!

Might need your expertise on the motor as well. I'm VERY close to the steering shaft.

We'll figure it out sunday.  I'll bring a few pieces just in case.

Danimal

Thanks, Frank. I just picked up the drive shaft and I'm swinging by Dundee Truck & Trim to score the PS brackets, etc. for front of the engine.

I still need to drill the dash hole for the clutch pedal slave cylinder but that shouldn't take too long. I've got a psudo template.

enjenjo

I have intake gaskets for you. What do you have for a carb?

Danimal

Quadrajet. The intake is a spread bore.

I've got an HEI in it as well and I'd like to at least get it installed close to time. The oil will need changed and I have questions for you on the puke tube. Do I make it the oil fill so I don't have to put breathers in the valve covers?

Danimal

Thanks Guys! Keep that little finger out. Courtland is still laughing his butt off. I wish I would have been there to be on the inside of that one but a parts run is a parts run...

Anyway. I learned a bit and am dang tired. Got home at 7:30 to finish chores. Ate the rest of the sloppy joe and now I'm bushed. Court is dead but his brakes are alive and we'll be heading for Swanton for a parts run of our own soon. Got the garage swept but the truck is still in it.

I'll give more of an update later but I just want to say thanks again for making it a special day. I still can't believe I left my kid with a bunch of guys I met on the internet...
[/u]

enjenjo

Had fun today. Dan, your boys are special, some of the best behaved ones I have seen.

moose

[quote="Danimal

I'll give more of an update later but I just want to say thanks again for making it a special day. I still can't believe I left my kid with a bunch of guys I met on the internet...
[/u][/quote]

Dan,
Sorry I could not join in on the fun. Glad to hear you made good progress. If you have another I will try yo get there.

As far as trusting your boys to internet men we are not all perverts jus most of us..... Besides it sounds like he already has caught the sickness we would have passed onto him,. Love of HotRods!!!

Tim

Danimal

Thanks, Frank. We try to teach them right. Glad you could join us. I think we may have just one more next month, it was so much fun!

Danimal

Hey Frank, yep 3/4" jam nuts. Picked them up at the hardware last night. We've got school tonight until late so it looks like tomorrow and Saturday will be brake line finish, tighten, and bleeding day!

enjenjo

Did you doubt me? I'm glad that worked out. I found a pair of the tin nuts here yesterday. You have the truck at home yet?

Danimal

Got a reprieve until Saturday then it's got to come out. Going down tomorrow to nut it and roll around on the creeper setting the lines and tightening down. Need to bleed it out and then I'll pull it home and put it on the apron in front of the garage. Edie is THRILLED!

Court asked me a bit ago about the manifold you mentioned, you home this weekend maybe we can hook up?

I'm going to get some measurements and look at that Blazer tank and cross member up in Dundee. What do I need to do to swap the tank over to non-EFI? Anything special? Can I use the electric pump in it with a switch powered by the ignition or should I stay away from that knowing my limited skills?