Anyone going to Indy GoodGuys??

Started by HOTRODSRJ, June 03, 2004, 08:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I'm sorry to have to say that I can't go to Indy this year.  It's one of my favorite shows and I'll definitely miss seeing everyone.  Some of us only see each other once every year or two and I'm sad to miss a chance to refresh old friendships and make new ones.
George

slocrow

I'm missing it too boys & girls. I was all set to go. The coupe was together and running good. All that I had to do Thurs morning was rain-X the windows. When I tried to power up the drivers side window, nothing happened. By the time I took it apart the train had left the station. I could have rigged something temporary but with no security and with no wipers, A/C or cowl vent it wasn't going to be a pleasant 5 hour humid run in the rain. I found a bone yard motor for $25 but Specialty will replace it free in a week.
I was still attempting to get there at some point when my brother suggested I rethink my commitment. After rechecking the 4 day weather forecast and having been to the "03" bog and mud fest I decided to cancel my room and pass on Indy this year. I'll miss the com-rod-ery and fellowship but not the slogging around in the slop. :cry: Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

beatnik

I'm skipping it this year as well, weather isn't helping even if last years mudfest was kinda fun.  

I have too many things to finish on the roadster, and with all the overtime I've had to put in this year, I need to keep working if I'm going to have a chance at making the HAMB drags. Already had to skip a couple of shows this year.
If I have to explain it to you, You really wouldn?t understand

Dave

Quote from: "slocrow"I'm missing it too boys & girls. I was all set to go. The coupe was together and running good. All that I had to do Thurs morning was rain-X the windows. When I tried to power up the drivers side window, nothing happened. By the time I took it apart the train had left the station. I could have rigged something temporary but with no security and with no wipers, A/C or cowl vent it wasn't going to be a pleasant 5 hour humid run in the rain. I found a bone yard motor for $25 but Specialty will replace it free in a week.
I was still attempting to get there at some point when my brother suggested I rethink my commitment. After rechecking the 4 day weather forecast and having been to the "03" bog and mud fest I decided to cancel my room and pass on Indy this year. I'll miss the com-rod-ery and fellowship but not the slogging around in the slop. :cry: Frank

Geeze Im glad I didnt plan to go. I hope your gonna get that hunk o junk ready for louisville ? We need to talk when we get there or is that drink ..LOL
Dave

phat rat

Quote from: "slocrow"I'm missing it too boys & girls. I was all set to go. The coupe was together and running good. All that I had to do Thurs morning was rain-X the windows. When I tried to power up the drivers side window, nothing happened. By the time I took it apart the train had left the station. I could have rigged something temporary but with no security and with no wipers, A/C or cowl vent it wasn't going to be a pleasant 5 hour humid run in the rain. I found a bone yard motor for $25 but Specialty will replace it free in a week.

Ya couda put mudders on it and looked cool.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: That was somnething last year wasn't it? I imagine this year will be a repeat, including GG's lack of concern
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

We aren't going to make it either :cry: Both Shelby and I are down with a cold. 10 hours round trip to spend the day snifling doesn't sound like fun.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Isn't there still one in Columbus? Maybe all of you that have good excuses for not going to Indianapolis (although you have all mentioned that it's better) can go to Columbus instead. Indiana is another state and Toledo is a one day trek for me so Indianapolis would have be 5 motel nights to see one day of looking at somebody else's accomplishments. Maybe if they don't move the swap meet at the last minute I could find somebody in Columbus. My mind works slow so I'll need a month to even think about it. Maybe people from Mansfield should tell their doctors to not schedual any "stress tests" for the following Monday. GPster

KustomLincolnLady

Quote from: "enjenjo"We aren't going to make it either :cry: Both Shelby and I are down with a cold. 10 hours round trip to spend the day snifling doesn't sound like fun.

Guess this means you won't be stopping by tonight  :cry:  :?

Hope you two are feeling better soon!!!

HOTRODSRJ

Indy weather update.....please send lifeboats!  Tons of rain in the morning followed by air you can cut with a knife!

But, the good news is  it's bigger and better!  Even covered tent area for inside vendors.

Sorry to miss you all.
STEVE "JACKSTANDS" JACK

Charlie Chops 1940

As promised above OBT and  our two pals went down on Thursday. Ran into a gully warsher in southern Michigan that slowed us a little but we arrived at registration just after lunch. Ran into Bob Klessig and had a walk around on the convert...that is one very classy ride. Friday morning saw rain until about 11 I think, sfter which we had a pretty nice sunny day, but as Jack said the humidity was pretty rough. Saturday, rain from about 7:30 til noonish and then very nice afternoon with some good time trials and not quite so much Humidity, Was pretty nice this morning and I saw that Roadstar won the Homegrown award...his '40 sure looked right at home. We left at about 11:30 and hit one really evil looking bank of black clouds north of Kokomo, about half way to South Bend. We expected a funnel to drop out of the clouds any time...big time lightening and thunder and then the rain came...came in every nook and cranny but the good part was that it was about 15 degrees cooler once we ran out of it in 10 miles or so.

We had the pleasure of the company of WZ-JUNK and brother MO-JUNK and had great fun exercising the Mongoose. Great fun.

A great weekend with lotsa old friends - in spite of some dampness.

Charlie (MY-JUNK) Chops
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Sorry We missed it Charlie. Felt better today, so we drove up to White Pigeon to pick up some stuff for the BBQ, and stopped by Rob and Debbs on the way home. We ran into the same storm near Auburn, hard to describe how hard it was raining.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Just got home and it is about 11 PM.  We had to make a couple of roadside repairs but nothing big.  My brother did some asphalt reshaping on I 270 near St Louis.  

Great friends and a great time but I miss those of you that did not get to come.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

MO_JUNK

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Just got home and it is about 11 PM.  We had to make a couple of roadside repairs but nothing big.  My brother did some asphalt reshaping on I 270 near St Louis.  

Great friends and a great time but I miss those of you that did not get to come.

I've got crumbs of asphalt on top of the intake and air cleaner. I haven't looked underneath yet. WZ, you probably check the Mongoose for pavement as well. WZ neglected to mention that I also reshaped a front fender on a speedbump at the Indy Airport when picking up my son, "Next Junk" all in all, a fine weekend. Mo.

Scrap Fe

Left home at 6:00 AM on Thursday and at 11:00 AM was on I-294 and I-80.  I should have been at Indy by then but don't you just love the 4 hours through Chicago in the monsoons.

Got to the registration hotel around 2:00 PM and met up with my brother-in-law and several buddies from the Nashville area.  A tornado warning brought everyone from the Adam's Mark to the grand ball room for around a half hour on Thursday night.  A tornado was sighted on the ground about 6 miles west of the airport.  That area was hit hard a couple of weeks ago.

Caught up with Faat Rod in the swap meet on Friday afternoon and saw Charlie Chops crossing the street to the Adam's Mark on Friday PM but by the time I found a place to park there was no Charlie to be found.  It is kinda bad when you can't find a place to park in the hotel where you are staying.  I think I will stay at the Hampton Inn across the street next year.

Had a great time as usual but missed many of the familiar faces here on the board.  Since I got my heart fixed I got more energy and I plan to debut the '39 at Indy next year.  I hope those that could not attend this year are present next year.