hidden hinge info

Started by 31suv, April 04, 2008, 12:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

31suv

Anyone got pictures or factoids on this subject(still thinging abou doing it)
East Texas,the right side of Texas

31suv

This is going on 40 ford truck

Dave

Personally i dont think its worth the effort.. Most hidden hinge and suicide kits dont allow enuff door opening.. Also most of them are cheaply made (not cheap to buy though) and that leads to sloppy hinges or out of alignment hinges that just wear faster.. But if you must you must.. I sure wish my 32 roadster had conventional hinges on it cause the hidden hinges suck  :!: Most manufactures dont use any bushings in em either so its metal to metal instead of having a nice oilite bushing setup.. Both my coupes my 34 and my 32 with suicide doors i was forever lubing the * hinges to keep em working right .
My 2 cents..
Dave

crdnblu

Take a look @ this site:

http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/online008.htm

Hagen seems to be the vendor of choice.  Also, I don't know if your '40 truck doors are like this '38 coupe's, but if so, I'd also recommend welding in a piece of square tubing, from end-to-end, in the diagonal  door brace.  This step REALLY stiffended up my '37 2-dr sedan doors from flexing & twisting.  (Even though I don't have hidden hinges)  Also, an added strap brace from the hinge side to the diagonal brace, also helped keep my door gaps consistent.

crdnblu

The pic that I couldn't add b/4:

enjenjo

I think most of the hidden hinge kits are badly engineered. They are not strong enough, or durable enough. I think I would start with some type of factory hinge myself.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

papastoyss

The hinge kits that Parr in Okie City sell are well made & have GM bushings in them.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

phat rat

I don't remember who's kit I used. I didn't think it was the best because as Frank said no bushings. But after 12 yrs and 65,000 mi they are still tight and work fine.  My $.02
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

31suv

Thank,s guys, the set that I have do have bushings.But I have to try it. I found one site(progressive automotive)that has pictures& info,and they just happen to be in a 40 Ford. Besides the brown truck already dropped um off fri and I'm going to be off next week.This is what makes rod building fun is the challinge.Come to think of it,I dont think the original hinges are bushed . I'll keep yall updated.
Thanks agin and keep on buildin

Bugpac

Quote from: "jusjunk"Personally i dont think its worth the effort.. Most hidden hinge and suicide kits dont allow enuff door opening.. Also most of them are cheaply made (not cheap to buy though) and that leads to sloppy hinges or out of alignment hinges that just wear faster.. But if you must you must.. I sure wish my 32 roadster had conventional hinges on it cause the hidden hinges suck  :!: Most manufactures dont use any bushings in em either so its metal to metal instead of having a nice oilite bushing setup.. Both my coupes my 34 and my 32 with suicide doors i was forever lubing the * hinges to keep em working right .
My 2 cents..
Dave

I got a set sitting right here of conventional hinges, were you want me to send them?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

31suv

I got mine off ebay delivered to the house for $160 , bran new for both doors+ bear claw latches from a ebay store called FBI.They look very strong plus cad plated. I might be just another statistic but I gotta try it. I will keep yall posted.

Welder Series

The Hagan kit has some pretty neat features... the detents are nice - just like a new car.  It's a little more expensive, but worth it IMO.  

We designed hidden hinges with GM bushings and pins for Ramrod fiberglass bodies a long time ago... still have lots of pins and bushings around!

enjenjo

I was looking at some late model hinges today, it would take some reengineering of the body, as the front of the door actually goes inside the body line, but it would sure look nice done that way.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Welder Series

There will be a '37 coming out this year with the doors like that... really neat idea!