Nine Inch Ford Brake Drum Q

Started by C9, April 02, 2008, 11:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

Along with the no shifting C4 in the other post, my pal and I hit the junkyard yesterday.
He's looking for a two sheave pulley so he can add A/C later on.

We didn't find one, but I spotted a pair of rear brake drums on a 1/2 ton 1978 Ford pickup that may have had an I-6 in it.

Couldn't get em off to measure, but they look like they might be the right ones for my 31 on 32 rails roadster project.

To back up a bit, the 31 has an about 62 Ford 1/2 ton rear axle, 9" diff, 11" x 1 3/4" brakes, but it came with 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern axles.
They've been replaced with Dutchman alloy axles with 5 on 4 1/2" pattern.
So far, all I can find information-wise is that 57-59 Ford pass car drums will work.

Measuring from the outside cuz we didn't have the tools to pull the drum it looks like that drum may fit.
11" diameter, 5 on 4 1/2" pattern.
Lining width looks like a 2" brake shoe would work.

So far I understand that the common brake shoes in the nine inch diff axles are 1 3/4" or 2 1/4".

I'm hearing that there is a 2" wide brake shoe for the Ford nine inch 11" drums.
The thinking there was that the 2" wide drums may work fine with the 1 3/4" brake shoes.
And . . . since the pickup at the junkyard probably had an I-6 there may be something to the rumor about 2" wide shoes.

I'd like to use the 1 3/4" brake shoes cuz I already have a set of new ones on hand, but I also want the smaller rear brake . . . but not too small....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

tomslik

i think the bolt pattern is 5 1/2".....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Deuce

Quote from: "tomslik"i think the bolt pattern is 5 1/2".....

You would think so ... BUT ... a few  F-150's had the 5 on 4.5 pattern. I would not believe it but I saw it for myself.

A friend called me late one and he had a flat tire on his fairly late model ( at the time ) F-150 and it had no spare. He had just bought the truck ... 6 cylinder, automatic ... no A/C basic truck ...  a few months before. He did not know the F-150 had no spare or jack.  :cry:

I had a few 5 on 5.5 rims and tires ( my 32 roadster runs this pattern ) so I load one up and take it to him. Wrong bolt pattern. The truck pattern was smaller. Doubled back to the house and got the spare tire for my car trailer ( 5 on 4.5 pattern ) ... and it fit.  :)

The next day, a guy at the tire store told my friend that they saw a few others like his with the 5 on 4.5 pattern and that they were supposely built in Canada. True or not ... I do not know ... but I do know a 5 on 4.5 rims fit his F-150. It was a mid 80's to late 80's F-150 I believe.
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

C9

Quote from: "Deuce"
Quote from: "tomslik"i think the bolt pattern is 5 1/2".....

You would think so ... BUT ... a few  F-150's had the 5 on 4.5 pattern. I would not believe it but I saw it for myself.

A friend called me late one and he had a flat tire on his fairly late model ( at the time ) F-150 and it had no spare. He had just bought the truck ... 6 cylinder, automatic ... no A/C basic truck ...  a few months before. He did not know the F-150 had no spare or jack.  :cry:

I had a few 5 on 5.5 rims and tires ( my 32 roadster runs this pattern ) so I load one up and take it to him. Wrong bolt pattern. The truck pattern was smaller. Doubled back to the house and got the spare tire for my car trailer ( 5 on 4.5 pattern ) ... and it fit.  :)

The next day, a guy at the tire store told my friend that they saw a few others like his with the 5 on 4.5 pattern and that they were supposely built in Canada. True or not ... I do not know ... but I do know a 5 on 4.5 rims fit his F-150. It was a mid 80's to late 80's F-150 I believe.

That truck may have been as new as 81, but I think it was a 78.
I owned a 77 3/4 ton and the bodies were pretty much the same, but the 78 had an egg-crate grille.

Fwiw, I did measure the bolt pattern carefully and it was definitely a 4 1/2" bolt pattern.

Thinking about grabbing the diff for the 32.
It's geared a bit low with the smaller diameter tires I'm running now and I'm guessing it may be around a 3.25 and maybe a 3.00.
The 3.25 would be ideal for the 32 considering all the highway miles it gets nowadays.

Anyone have an idea as to whether the axles are 28 or 31?

The so-called heavy duty vehicles - station wagons, pickups etc. don't always have 31 spline axles.

Since this was an I-6 truck I'd bet the diff is a 3.25 and the axles are 28 splnes.
C9

Bib_Overalls

The brakes on my 32 came off an early 80s Ford pickup.  As I recall, they are 10" x 2.5" and they have the 5 on 4.5 lug bolt pattern.   I also got the 31 spline axles.  Sent them off to Moser to be narrowed to fit my SoCal/Curry housing.  They shortened one side but had to make a custom axle for the other side.  

I have seen 5 on 5.5" lug bolt drums redrilled with the 5 on 4.5 pattern.  That might be a solution.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Deuce

Quote from: "C9"

That truck may have been as new as 81, but I think it was a 78.
I owned a 77 3/4 ton and the bodies were pretty much the same, but the 78 had an egg-crate grille.          

I very well could be off on the year. TIME flys when having fun. It has been a good bit of time since it happened. It had a 9 inch under it and they quit making 9 inch Fords in the mid 80's ... so it had to be a mid 80 and back F-150.

Check the tag on the rear end ... for the ratio.  :D

58 Yeoman

Don't always believe the tags.  I bought a rear out of a '64 Merc, and it said 3.00.....turned out to be a 3:5x.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

papastoyss

Does anyone know if the aforementioned 4.5 bp truck backing plates will bolt up to a 57 ford rear or is there a difference in bearing size or register hole?Truck stuff is much more plentiful around here.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

enjenjo

Quote from: "papastoyss"Does anyone know if the aforementioned 4.5 bp truck backing plates will bolt up to a 57 ford rear or is there a difference in bearing size or register hole?Truck stuff is much more plentiful around here.

In most cases, no. Most truck rears use the big axle bearings. The only 57 rears with big bearings came in Convertibles, wagons, and Rancheros. There can also be axle flange to bearing face spacing issues depending on the year of the truck.

You can weld a spacer ring into the backing plate to modify them for small bearings, and redrill the mounting holes.

There were some full size cars that used the 11 by 2 1/2" brakes too, with small bearings, but hard to find.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Deuce

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Don't always believe the tags.  I bought a rear out of a '64 Merc, and it said 3.00.....turned out to be a 3:5x.

:lol:   :lol:

Used to be a old rodders trick ... when looking for rears in the junk yard ... find a good ratio ( like a 3.50 ) and stick a less desirable ratio tag on it ... ( like a 3.00 ) so the chances of the 3.50 would still be there when you came back later ... to get the 3.50  :?

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "Deuce"
Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Don't always believe the tags.  I bought a rear out of a '64 Merc, and it said 3.00.....turned out to be a 3:5x.

:lol:   :lol:

Used to be a old rodders trick ... when looking for rears in the junk yard ... find a good ratio ( like a 3.50 ) and stick a less desirable ratio tag on it ... ( like a 3.00 ) so the chances of the 3.50 would still be there when you came back later ... to get the 3.50  :?

Yeah, someone must've forgotten to come back and get this one.   :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

wayne petty

ok... i went through a large part of my bendix drum illistrations...

there are 9 drums 11.0 inch with the 5on 4.5 inch bolt pattern...

there are various specs like height of the drum sitting on its opening..

hub diameter

bolt hole size...

ford, linc , merc apps
E127-66-008      3.66 Hi 2.43 hub .610 bolt
E127-66-009      3.66 hi 2.77 hub .610 bolt
E127-66-016      3.60 hi 2.78 hub .620 bolt
E127-66-028      3.96 hi 2.78 hub .560 bolt

mopar cars
E127-68-010      3.58 hi 2.83 hub .640 bolt
E127-68-013      4.48 hi 2.83 hub .650 bolt    outer flange
E127-68-018      4.24 hi 2.82 hub .650 bolt    inner flange
E127-68-021      4.44 hi 2.83 hub .650 bolt    dual flange
E127-68-033      3.33 hi 3.06 hub .460 bolt

and this.. but it is a fraction larger... 11.03 new...max 11.08
ford truck/van
E127-70-048      3.93 hi 2.80 hub . 570 bolt

the flange is what fits over the backing plate or inner  

the 66 series fits ford, lincoln and mercury cars... the 70 series fits ford vans and trucks....

the 68 series fits mopar cars... .

these are bendix part numbers...

let me know which one is closest and i will reverse a search for app.....

the E127-66-028  fits rears on ford full size wagons,  taxi, and police specials  79 to 91  not the standard full size cars... they use a differnt rear drum....

i still have a few more pages to go through... it is a huge pdf file.. so it takes a while...

C9

Thanks guys, especially Wayne with the printed and pictured info.

Gonna print it and take it with me next time we hit the junkyard . . . Wednesday I hope.
C9

Hooley

If it is any help I have redrilled the brake drums to fit another pattern. My 2 cents worth. The Ford rear ends are easy to work with.  

Good Luck Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

wayne petty

again... if you post your hub size i will reverse the

or here it is for the 66 series...ford models....

E127-66-008  64 to 68 full size models. Front and rear .. except wagon, police and taxi's , except disc brake cars...

E127-66-009 69 to 72 full size   except wagon police and taxi

E127-66-016   69- 72 full size rear

E127-66-028  79-91 full size rear .. wagons, taxi's police specials only.

and i know it is dangerious... but has anybody turned the outside of a drum smooth on a brake lathe????

just a thought.... how about a hub size....