tech tip

Started by tomslik, March 30, 2008, 10:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

sooo, i sent a gas tank for a rambler to the radiator shop to get boiled out, comes back clean with a hole punched in it to let air escape i guess.
now why they couldn't have poked it where it was damaged, i don't know, but it really wasn't a big deal BUT when i got the bill, well, i figgered it couldn't be more than about 50 bucks.............

A HUNDRED *' DOLLARS!

what's the tech tip, you say?
ask 1st on what the damages are and then go buy a fuel cell....

mine's suppopsed to be here thursday :wink:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

slocrow

Sell it on e-bay with the description to include "converted for FI with return line bung partiality complete"........................ :lol:
Yes, all of us, "Too Soon Old, To Late Smart"...............
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Crosley.In.AZ

yep , they punch holes in them to get air out to boil the innards clean... then solder a metal patch over the hole.

It has been my eggspeariance that most radiator shop employees are not real bright and no common sense.

I thought you were after a fuel cell for the ol Rambler?  what?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"yep , they punch holes in them to get air out to boil the innards clean... then solder a metal patch over the hole.

It has been my eggspeariance that most radiator shop employees are not real bright and no common sense.

I thought you were after a fuel cell for the ol Rambler?  what?

well, like i said,thought it'd be about 50 bucks.
it wasn't.... :roll:

oh well, i've got another rambler that may need one....

yeah, i've got an 8 gallon cell coming

58 Yeoman

A couple years ago, I took my '41 tank to a place in Rockford, IL (Butatta Bros., I think), and they cleaned it out and sealed it inside and out for around $300.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

tomslik

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"A couple years ago, I took my '41 tank to a place in Rockford, IL (Butatta Bros., I think), and they cleaned it out and sealed it inside and out for around $300.

this was not sealed inside or outside, told 'em not to as i wanted to weld in a sump.

lesson learned, ask how much 1st.... :lol:

btw, that shop is now closed, went belly-up...

purplepickup

Quote from: "tomslik"
btw, that shop is now closed, went belly-up...
Shoot, if you'd a knowed that ya prolly wouldn't a paid em. :twisted:

It's funny that I read your post first thing this morning after I woke up from a dream that an oil change shop charged me $5,000 for an oil change.  I was so mad I woke up ready to kill.....then I couldn't get back to sleep.  I'm sleepy now tho....
George

1FATGMC

I just had mine cleaned of gas and sniffed for $50.  I'm putting a sump in it today for an elect. fuel pump that is going on now since the new motor can't run a manual pump and I'm putting fuel injection on next winter.

I've blown them out and used water, etc. before and welded on them, but I felt the $50 was cheap insurance.  I thought about getting a new one on e-bay where one would cost about $200 delivered, but when I took the sending unit out of the one I have it was so good looking inside I decided to use it again.

I'm wondering if I should put any of the gas tank sealer like eastwood sells in the tank after I weld the sump on to coat that area and the welds??

What are you going to do??  Or anyone else??

c ya,

Sum

1FATGMC

Quote from: "1FATGMC".................I'm wondering if I should put any of the gas tank sealer like eastwood sells in the tank after I weld the sump on to coat that area and the welds??...............Sum

Well I see where Competition Engineering recommends sealing it when you weld in their sumps....

QuoteClean tank thoroughly to remove all traces of weld spatter. At this time, we highly recommend that
you coat the interior of the tank/sump with a high quality gas tank sealer. This is available through
The Eastwood Company (1-800-345-1178)

Here is a link to their sump where they also have a link to installing it.....

http://www.competitionengineering.com/catalog/CategoryDisplay.asp?CatCode=10070

Sum

enjenjo

I use Redcote sealer on every tank I modify. I found the hard way that water tight, does not mean fuel tight.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "enjenjo"I use Redcote sealer on every tank I modify. I found the hard way that water tight, does not mean fuel tight.

Where do you source the Redcote Frank?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!