Visited my dad yesterday

Started by purplepickup, June 01, 2004, 10:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I know it's a little late for a Memorial Day post but I live two miles from the National Cemetery in Fort Custer where my dad, uncle and 3 really close friends are buried.  It's a very peaceful place where the plots are just whittled out of the woods.  

A friend of the family works there and when dad died he picked a spot at the foot of a shade tree.  Yesterday all the graves had flags on them and it was really something to see.  It brought a lump to my throat and I was very proud of my friends and family that are there.    I'm not exactly looking forward to my turn to go there but it's comforting to know that it's such a peaceful place where veterans are treated with respect and honor.

I went back out tonight to take a couple of pictures with the flags but they had already taken them away.  Being the picture taker that I am, here's some that I took anyway.

George

47wood

Thanks for your service ...and thanks for sharing.    :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

Great shots George!This past weekend while in Springfield for the NSRA event,I had the opportunity to drive by the National Cemetery there...it was quite a sight...everything trimmed neatly,Flags flying in the breeze!I have walked thru several National Cemeteries and it is quite a humbling experience....they all seem to be located in an extremely serene setting...a fitting tribute to those that have served!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

OlBuzzard

My American Legion post had a Memorial Day ceremony and put flags on our veterans in the Knippa Cemetary.  We even have a Medal of Honor winner from WWI in our tiny town.  It was a beautiful sight to see those flags waving over the veteran's graves.

SKR8PN

Moments like that,help you to keep things in perspective...........Unfortunately,I wasn't able to go visit my father over the weekend,but I plan on getting out there today.
He was a veteran of the Korean War,recipient of a purple heart.
Thanks Pop.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.