Need Input

Started by kb426, March 28, 2008, 06:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I'm dreaming about my next project. I want to use a 4 cylinder engine but not an Offy. What do you think would be the best choice for something you are going to drive alot? This will be a small light toy with a manual trans.
TEAM SMART

Carnut

a GM Quad Four, I liked the one in my 91 Grand Am.

Otherwise the precurser the 151 ohv ChevyII/Mercruiser/Iron Duke four.

enjenjo

I agree, it even looks like an Offy.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

The 2.3 litter Ford is popular. Supposed to be a lot of hop up equiptment available for them too. I have one with a five speed trans  in the shop for a future project.

Dave

Quote from: "Carnut"a GM Quad Four, I liked the one in my 91 Grand Am.

Otherwise the precurser the 151 ohv ChevyII/Mercruiser/Iron Duke four.

Ya know if you want you can come kick me right square in the * cause about 4 years ago I got hold of a boat with the mercrusier stuff in it and although the boat was junk I gave it to a buddy and im pretty sure he trashed the 4 cylinder.. After i regained my senses I said daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.. I shoulda known better..
Dave :arrow:

tomslik

how about an old Fiat spyder motor?
the DOHC one....about '75 i think....
would be about as much trouble to use as a quad 4, maybe less as it's rwd already...

cosworth vega maybe?

ford focus?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

Well, I have a 2.0 Focus motor, and a 2.3 Ford motor laying here. :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

I would do the 2.3L Ford . There is supposed to be a ton of aftermarket parts for them. Maybe you will get lucky and find one of the plastic ones that ford made and used in the early 80's formula ford racing program. They were slated to be offered in the ford ranger trucks but never made it to production.

WZ JUNK

Doug Lee is building a 4 cylinder Ford motor that was made only for marine use.  It uses a 460 Ford head and the 4 cylinder version has the potential of well over 300 cubic inches.  As he progress with this project, I will post some pictures.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Uncle Bob

I'll toss another in if you'd like the Offy look, the Ecotec.  They're all over the place and cheap.  They make good power, GM still makes them, GMPP makes lots of go fast goodies for them, as does the tuner aftermarket.  If you didn't want to do the injection/computer thing there are companies making carb adapters and free standing ignition modules (do internet search).  I've seen new ones still in a crate on the bay for as little as $600 and fairly low mileage used ones for $100-150 on craigslist.  If you want to really get carried away, find one from a Solstice, they already come with a front to back setup and a manual 6 speed.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Mac

Yeah, I agree. Look into the GM Ecotec 2.2. I mess around with VW's and a growing trend is Ecotec conversions into Baja bugs, sandrails, buses and more. Lightweight, compact and growing support.
Here's:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=69767&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=360

a link to the middle of a long thread on them with inspiring images.
Who\'s yer Data?

GPster

In the very begining of my recovery I had in mind simplicity. Looking at things being simple I gravitated towards flathead 4 cylinder engines. For simplicity and reliability it always took me up to the Model "C" Ford but still left a bunch of stuff to do to satisfy with the look. Holding the idea I wondered about the flathead 4s used in early Jeeps. Are they pressure oiled? Do they have counter-balance cranks? Do they have water pumps? I've never followed this idea to completion ( because of auto trans, power steering and power brakes that I need) but a choice like this with a 5 speed O.D. stick tranny would be different. I know they can be rebuilt with hardened valve seats and probably the other un-leaded gas necessities. Of course my plans also took me around the 1/2 a Chevy V8 like the 1/2 Pontiac V8s of the early 60s. Of coerse the choice mostly has to impress you. GPster

Jbird

My next project is an open roadster with a 2.3 out of a 93 Ranger with a car five speed. Mainly because I've already got both. Back in the olden days when we raced VWs a guy named Esslinger (or something similar) came up with "Pinto Beans". He used a 2.0 OHC Pinto motor hooked to a VW transaxle. Quite an impressive transplant and I think it spawned the huge aftermarket for those engines. I accidently sold an 84 Ranger that I'd transplanted an injected 93 2.3 in to, 25+mpg and plenty of poop. The guy that wanted it had CASH...... you know how we get when we see cash or nekid wimmens. Gas was barely over two bucks a gallon at the time.

I've got a dual OHC all aloonyuum Jensen Healy 1600 I4 that my brain has been trying to convince me to sell before I dream up a project for it.     Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Grandadeo

Rather than use the 324 cu. in. '55 Olds engine in my T touring that I had planned I thought I'd look into going the Quad 4 route - until I saw the price of everthing needed to covert it to rear wheel drive.  Ended up having a couple aluminum Olds 215 cu. in engines fall in my lap so I think I'll go that route.  I have had a chevy II 4 banger in the past and they are great for parts interchangeability with 6 and 8 Chevy engines.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50