bench vise

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, March 23, 2008, 01:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I've been looking at vises... I have not bought one in years.

I am seeing 150.00 - 350.00 for a basic 6 inch  vise?

Harbor freight web site search feature seems down this AM.

I know steel and fuel a re all UP , but vise prices seem high to me?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Dave

Quote from: "Crosley"I've been looking at vises... I have not bought one in years.

I am seeing 150.00 - 350.00 for a basic 6 inch  vise?

Harbor freight web site search feature seems down this AM.

I know steel and fuel a re all UP , but vise prices seem high to me?

Tony being the tool and die business since about age 13 or 14 i can honestly tell you that wilton is the best. At least they used to be but they arent cheap.. If you can find an auction or something like that maybe you could score one.
Dave

enjenjo

Wiltons are the best. A 6" costs about $800 new. :shock:  I bought mine at auction, used for $100. The good part about Wilton, you can buy any part of any Wilton vise ever made from the factory.

Monarch is also another good brand.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I dont visit auctions....

the auctions I attended years back the items sold for 3/4 of a new price.  I tried the auction scene for a while... parts , tools , city , county , state , private auctions.  I was surprised at what junk sold for.

The vehicle auctions of the city / state are silly.  Most of the cars sell for high price and end up in Mexico I would  imagine.

8)
Tony

enjenjo

kb426

Wow. There's another thing I hadn't priced in years. I have a real old vise that is in need of a little work. I guess I'll go get started. :lol:
TEAM SMART

1FATGMC

I got one from HF a couple years ago that rotates until you close the jaws.  I like it and use it 90% of the time.  The draw back is that it only opens 5 inches and sometimes the rotating thing is a drawback.  It was like $30-$40 on sale at a store in Missouri and weighs a ton.

If the HF one isn't up to the job then I go to the other end of the workbench and use a 6 inch Craftsman that I think I paid $25 for in the early 70's and picked up used from a guy who used it in a motorcycle shop.  I'm surprised I've never broken it with some of the stuff I've asked it to do.

c ya,

Sum

enjenjo

I take the swivel base off, and bolt the vise right to the bench. my bench weighs about half a ton, for real, and it will take anything I can dish out. It was originally a die table in a factory near me. I cut it in half, and used half for a bench 3' by 5'. There have been times when I moved the whole bench with a cheater bar.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"I take the swivel base off, and bolt the vise right to the bench. my bench weighs about half a ton, for real, and it will take anything I can dish out. It was originally a die table in a factory near me. I cut it in half, and used half for a bench 3' by 5'. There have been times when I moved the whole bench with a cheater bar.

The one I'm talking about has a swivel base, and a rotating head.  The head is what I was talking about,

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Not sure what brand my old vise is..... I wanted to add a vise to another bench till I started looking.

Harbor freight site now working better.  I found some 60 - 100 dollar 6 inch  vises that may fill the void
Tony

wvcab

frank,

i to took the rotating base off my harbor freight vise, and mounted it directly to the pedestal. the pedestal, is 1 1/2 plate steel 36" in diameter, with a 30" piece of 6" x 6"  for a base.  I broke the rotating base  while attempting to loosen a 4" ball valve..... something about a 6' cheater and chinese steel.... but the harbor freight vise has held up great to the other abuses...

Bill Adkins

In following my new hobby doing blacksmith work I aquired an old blacksmiths post leg vice, it works a little differently but by far the most abuseable vice I have ever used. They can be found on e-bay used or a new one can be had for near 600.
Bill
Retired mechanic, learning blacksmithing in my hobby shop.

Crosley.In.AZ

I am still looking around at vises.

Most black smith anvils I've seen are large , heavy and usually old... 8)
Tony

Bill Adkins

Quote from: "Crosley"I am still looking around at vises.

Most black smith anvils I've seen are large , heavy and usually old... 8)

I actually wasnt sugesting an anvil, a post vice is different. They are available new and I doubt that you could wear one out in a lifetime of normal use. They were designed to be hit and hit hard during a time that used a hammer as a normal production tool. The design put a leg extending to the shop floor so the energy from a blow wasnt absorbed by a flexing bench. I have mine sitting atop a 1 inch thick steel plate set in concrete. The shop floor is dirt covered with crushed rock, its a fireproof floor.
Bill :)
Retired mechanic, learning blacksmithing in my hobby shop.

Crosley.In.AZ

Bill..

I did not read your post like that.  I was making a statement that I was still looking for a vise

I also edited your post to separate your words from the quote of my post so folks could read it all a bit easier.
Tony