Dying carpet

Started by teal32, March 20, 2008, 06:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teal32

The carpet in my trunk has changed from black to a dingy looking something. I know there are several brands of dye available, but was wondering which ones you guys use. Thanks in advance.

Bob
Your drug test came back positive...Welcome aboard!

Don\'t get to close....I\'m alergic to stupid

Dave

Wow lets go back a lot of years.. There was a detail shop in town and all my old buddy's worked there.. Hell we would detail my car every week  :lol:  :lol: The thing to do for the carpet was just go get some RIT dye and mix it up and put it in a spray bottle and go for it.. They did mask off any adjacent off colors but with black for the carpet it worked really well.. My car looked sweet till they went out of business.... Too bad too as they were doing all the used cars in ann arbor that went thru the big dealerships....
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

teal32

Thanks, Dave. I thought about RIT, but figured it was too easy. The better half even tried to tell me that was the way to go. But, oh no, I wouldn't listen to her. Now I know better. I'll give it a try when it warms up a little. I'm lucky, the whole trunk carpet comes out in one piece, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Bob

wayne petty

one of my friends used to do old cads and would use a half of a metal 55 gallon drum... over a habachi to heat the water from the bottom to die carpets...  

i was there when someone came in the shops display room and swore that the interior in that 59 cad was original...    it had just come out of the back room.....   he took it as a huge complement...  i just tryed calling him... no answer... will try again tomorrow....if you still want an answer... i am sure he use rit... in the hot water to set it....

chimp koose

I used RIT and boiling water in the bathtub to do a carpet once......That was during my first marriage.

Dave

Quote from: "chimp koose"I used RIT and boiling water in the bathtub to do a carpet once......That was during my first marriage.

:ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  );b(  );b(  :ha)  :ha)  :b-d:  :b-d:

Dave

By the way when I first saw this post I was thinking if you had wool carpet it should already be dead unless of course you got the stuff from Texas.. Then i could see where Vance sent it to you because it was dying and of no use to him anymore   :lol:
Dave :wink:

slocrow

Like these guys, just make sure you hot tud it and then do the dying. Not the other way around...................... :lol:
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

enjenjo

Back in the 60's, I used to prep used cars for a dealer. We sprayed carpet with an aerosol fabric dye in spray cans, the brand name excapes me now. Unless it was black, then we used spray can black lacquer.  :shock:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

slocrow

Quote from: "enjenjo"Back in the 60's, I used to prep used cars for a dealer. We sprayed carpet with an aerosol fabric dye in spray cans, the brand name excapes me now. Unless it was black, then we used spray can black lacquer.  :shock:
Wouldn't that make the carpet stiff, using the lacquer?
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

EMSjunkie

I got some at the shop, works great on wool........don't ask :oops:
stays on pretty good too, stands up well to our TX weather :-o

I can get the name of it when I get home, if yer interested :idea:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

teal32

I'd like the name. I will probably use the RIT, but like to see all options.

Are we allowed to say "stiff" and "wool" in the same sentence?

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "teal32"

Are we allowed to say "stiff" and "wool" in the same sentence?

gets said ALOT around my place :shock:  :oops:  :wink:  :wink:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "slocrow"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Back in the 60's, I used to prep used cars for a dealer. We sprayed carpet with an aerosol fabric dye in spray cans, the brand name excapes me now. Unless it was black, then we used spray can black lacquer.  :shock:
Wouldn't that make the carpet stiff, using the lacquer?

Not really. I never saw a problem with it. It works great  on carpets that are like new, but just won't clean up that last little bit.

enjenjo