Coupe is out to paint :)

Started by Daveyboy, March 19, 2008, 09:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveyboy

Well today i dropped off my body for paint!!!
Man i am so HAPPY !!!!! :) :) :)

Now i hope i get it back in the 3weeks he told me :)

EMSjunkie

Congrats on passing another major milestone 8)  :D

it won't be long now Bro. you'll be cruisin soon 8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

rumrumm

Seeing the body painted ranks right up there with hearing the engine for the first time. Congrats! You're getting there!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

A coat of paint sure changes things.  
We're gonna have to see some pics when you get it back. :D
George

Daveyboy

Well i went by today and he has not done a thing to my car :(
Why do they take them in if they cant do the work on them yet??
I have only paid him $500 so its all good
I think he will get to it this week

Crosley.In.AZ

Seems a problem with many paint / body shops... stuff sits
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

river1

Quote from: "Daveyboy"Why do they take them in if they cant do the work on them yet??

i think in most but not all cases it is just overly optimistic scheduling?

you think they'd learn but how many times have you gone out to the garage for a ten minute job and didn't finish for three hours. multiply that by a bunch of cars and you can see where the schedule gets jacked (dave'd  :D  :D  :D  ) up.

good luck

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

rumrumm

I lucked into a shop that took my '32 and had it finished in one month. Outstanding work, too. That made up for the six months I had my frame was in another shop and was never finished.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Dave

Daved up  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
I used to know just about every good body man around and I know a few still and they all as far as im concerned are lazy :lol:  :lol: They also dont really work till they need money.. Now there are exceptions to the rule but ive found over the years thats the way most of em work.. I used to bump and paint as a side job and i tried never to take on more than i could handle and i always tried to get em done when promised but i needed the money so i worked a lot..   My coupe was well done but i noticed quite a bit of shrinkage in the paint before i sold it. Im letting this one cure in the primer stage for a year  :wink: .. Actually when i get good weather and time and ambition im gonna shoot the rest of the car but its nice i can do it myself.. I dont have to rely on anyone this way.
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

purplepickup

Quote from: "Daveyboy"Well i went by today and he has not done a thing to my car :(
I've had shops do that to me but it's usually my own fault.  I told them that they could fit my work in as filler work since they supposedly gave me a better price. Bad plan! The work got put off and the price was actually higher because there's bad feelings when I get VOCAL after 6 or 8 months of no activity. :twisted:  

If I need anyone to do work for me now, I make sure we both agree on price, expectations, and dates.
George

39deluxe

I've ran a couple of dealership body shops before and stuff like we do is used as filler jobs. Also it is better to over schedule and have a couple of jobs waiting to be done than have your guys run out of work. It's just the nature of the beast.

As for the small independant shop or one man operation, they fear putting off customers for fear of loosing the job. Once it's in the shop it's unlikely the customer will pull it out. If the shop is really good then it's probably worth the wait. Just keep watching so they don't run someone else's job in ahead of yours just because the other guy bugged them more.

Tom

Beck

I have been doing all my own paint work for the last many years. I have had the car sit in the body shop for way to long too. I learned the fine points through threads here on the forum. When I had a problem I posted it here and help was always available. My problem is I only paint a car about once every 2 years. There are all the little parts in between so there is always the smell of paint around, but I forget the fine points.
I am building a '62 rat pu now. Friday I was going to put a nice coat of flat black on it. I had it all sanded and ready to go when I got home from work. I flipped on the furnace (mistake #1) and mixed the paint. The garage was cold, including the truck. Without realizing it my paint gun has been getting pretty dirty inside. That reduced the amount of paint flow, so I was getting closser and closser to my work. Flat black has to go on really consistant or it will leave stripes. I was having a problem with these stripes so I really layed it on at close range. After painting the cab, doors, and bed (stepside) I realized I had problem. Not only did I have runs, I had waves in the runs. Too bad I didn't want a flat black floor, because it ran bad enough it made it there too. After 3 days of sanding I am about ready for paint again.... Maybe I shoud take it to a shop, and wait for it to be done right... I think it would be easier to make a shiny finish. This flat black is messing me up.. You can't buff out the imperfections.

wvcab

Quote from: "Beck".....when I got home from work. I flipped on the furnace (mistake #1) and mixed the paint. The garage was cold, including the truck. .....

that was your first and biggest mistake.....

depending on the temperature before furnace turn on... things tend to "sweat" when first getting warm

always have the garage and item being painted at temp for 6 hours before starting....

Daveyboy

Well 6 weeks and the coupe is in primer!!
Maybe paint next week. he told me he would be painting today the 27.  But he had not blocked out the primer so i bet it will be this week. But its moving along.