Full size truck frame swap, for 41-48 stude "M" se

Started by 54stude, March 16, 2008, 11:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

54stude

I have an '89 gmc 1500 4x4 truck, that I have driven daily for 12 years here in mn, but the body is starting to get very rusty. I am thinking about doing a "quick and dirty body swap", onto this running gear.

Has anyone done a swap of an old truck onto a "k" truck frame? This will be a daily driver, minnesota salt and all.

The gmc is a 350/NV4500 5 speed manual/14 bolt posi (6 lug wheels).

I was thinking about using a "grain truck" sized version of the '41 to '48 studebaker truck body and fenders to make the track look right, and then use gmc steel wheels painted with trim rings (no aluminum wheels). The other advantage to the big truck is they are cheap as the rodders dont want them. I might use the gmc truck bed floor, and 41-48 small stude bed sides, but big truck front fenders to complete the bed. (the front and rear "m" fenders are the same)

I want the truck reasonably low (about the same as it is stock), and would channel the floor if necessary, the front end has torsion bars, so I can crank them down to account for the weight reduction.

Anyone done this to a 1988-2000 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 frame yet? Pics please!
Thanks!

enjenjo

I have done  several frame swaps on trucks, but not that one in particular.

The frames are going to be very similar in overall configuration, but the later frame is about 4" wider than the Stude, usually not a problem. I like to set both frames side by side, and duplicate the early cab mounts on the later frame, measured from the front axle centerline. The engine may have to be moved to clear the firewall.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.