Leaking fuel pressure regulator

Started by jon g, June 01, 2004, 01:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon g

I have a fuel pressure regulator that only has had a short period of running time on it in my recentely finished AV8 roadster. Just up and down the driveway. After being at the paintshop a month and the trim shop another month, I noticed it leaking around the control dial. It's the small chrome type, approx 2" dia with approx 1 1/2 " dia control dial. They are very commonly used. I have used the same type in racing applications and also a "T" bucket with no leaks. I noticed it was made in China. Has anyone had or heard of these leaking?  I'm kinda spooked now. I just put on a replacement but haven't ran it yet.
Thanks in advance,
Jon G

58 Yeoman

Yes, I put one on last summer/fall; got it at NAPA, I think it was Mr. Gasket brand. I've seen the same style under different names, but it was the same. I was driving down the road, and smelled gas, pulled over, and it was dumping gas. I took it back, and they wanted to give me another, but I declined. Still don't have one on there.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

wvcab

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Yes, I put one on last summer/fall; got it at NAPA, I think it was Mr. Gasket brand. I've seen the same style under different names, but it was the same. I was driving down the road, and smelled gas, pulled over, and it was dumping gas. I took it back, and they wanted to give me another, but I declined. Still don't have one on there.

acorrding to my local napa store, there is a recall on the pressure regulator, if you bring it back they will swap you with a new one.

robert

58 Yeoman

Robert, I received a refund last year. Wonder if the news ones are better, or not? Hate to see the car go up in flames on some lonely road.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

wvcab

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Robert, I received a refund last year. Wonder if the news ones are better, or not? Hate to see the car go up in flames on some lonely road.

news flash... NAPA guy standing over my shoulder watching this typing...

Regulators are being recalled, and there is no replacements availbe at this time...

they have had several leak, and this is a national recall.

Robert

Crosley.In.AZ

I used one on a 1950 chevy truck with a 235 six cylinder engine in the 1990's.

it worked great for the dual 1 barrel carbs
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

paul2748

I have heard from a local speed shop that Mr Gasket no longer has the  fuel regulator.  I recently got the same type, it was Spectre.  Haven't used it yet.  Got the same type on my flathead T, its kinda old, don't know what brand it is buts its not leaking.

jon g

Hey, thanks guys!!
I appreciate the replys and it confirms my suspicions. The replacement I got is also sold as a "Spectre" brand and I'm still very concerned about the possibility of getting another leaker. My gut tells me all of this type are made by the same manufacturer now, (China). After all the blood, sweat and money, I really hate the thought of my new toy burning to the ground.
I wonder if anyone could recommend a small reliable replacement made in USA. Presently it is mounted inside the frame rail right after the pump, but I could re-route the line if a replacement didn't fit there.
Many thanks in advance!
Jon G

paul2748

I looked at my 48 302 ford today and noticed it has the same type of regulator but it was Purolater brand.  Its been on the car many many years and no leaks yet (knock on wood).