Weight

Started by kb426, March 12, 2008, 08:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I weighted the deuce today. Half tank of fuel, no radio or the rear speakers, no ac lines or dryer. 2640. That's not as light as my target. What do you guys think?
TEAM SMART

Fat Cat

Quote from: "kb426"I weighted the deuce today. Half tank of fuel, no radio or the rear speakers, no ac lines or dryer. 2640. That's not as light as my target. What do you guys think?

I don't know what was your target? :)

phat46

My brother has a '34 P.U. full fendered, small block Ford/4 speed. That weight you quoted is virtually the same as his as he had his weighed at the Nats' in Louisville with quite a bit of stuff in it. He doesn't have air, and the fenders are 'glass.

kb426

My target was 2300. This is with a 9" rear end, the Ford rear disc brake setup from an 86 Lincoln mark vi, the tremec 3550 5 speed, steel driveshaft, steel head engine, all steel cab, box, floor, hood, grille shell, 2.5" exhaust out of 16 gauge and the mini van seat. There seems like around 100 lbs. of wiring for the efi.
TEAM SMART

purplepickup

I weighed my truck at the Nats and it was 1560 on the front axle and 1565 on the rear....total 3125 lbs with a half tank of gas (10 gal) and nothing else in it.  I thought maybe they made a mistake but it weighed the same two years in a row.  Glass fenders, aluminum heads & intake, aluminum wheels... :|
George

jimcaf

For a comparison,,I had to have my 36 weighed to get it registered,fenderless,no door glass or regulators,5.0 with a 5peed aluminum heads,weld lights,ETstreets,8.8 rear with half a tank of gas just shy of 2300,I built it as light as i could no frills basically gutted,
from what i read the chevy small blocks weigh quite a bit more then the 5.0 fords and automatics weigh lots,steel wheels?steel belted radials?AC adds up quick

unklian

2300 is tough to hit,especially with a steel body,and cast iron motor.

Dave

Im thinnin my old 34 was about 24 to 2600 and almost perfect front to rear. I never got round to checking the 32 coupe.. Maybe some day ill check the roadster..
Dave

C9

Roadster?

32 roadsters with SBC, T-350 and 9" usually come in at 2300#.

Mine with 462" (bored 455) Buick, T-400 and 9" with the addition of a four point 2 1/2" roll bar and top weighs 2400#.
(The big Buicks weigh 15# more than an SBC when you replace the heavy cast iron intake with aluminum.)

Get your car weighed somewhere else.
Big scales are somewhat inaccurate on the low end in my experience.

A good way to be accurate is to weigh the car one corner at a time on a 1000# balance scale like you see on farms and in warehouses.

Make up three blocks, place them under the wheels not on the scale so the car is level.
Weigh each corner, record, add all four corners together.
It can be enlightening sometimes.

I finally found one of these big scales for cheap, just need to figure out what the hanging weight holder needs added to it so it will balance properly before any weights are on the scale or weight holder.
About three projects down the line . . . I hope.... :)
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.