How much are you paying for a new interior ?

Started by Learpilot, March 12, 2008, 09:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

My next project is to re-do the interior of my 36 Dodge Coupe. I would like to know how much  you guys are paying for a new interior. I was thinking about leather.  I got some great bucket seats from a Mercury Mountaineer. They are six way electric with lumbar support. The only thing I don't like about them is it has " Mountaineer" written in the area below the head rest. So the need recovering.
Thanks for all your input !!!
Rick

HotRodLadyCrusr

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone great to do a complete leather interior for under 10 grand nowdays.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

BFS57

Hello;
If the only thing you don't like about the seats is the Mountaineer word wouldn't it make sense to have the seats "inserted"? I know it would be way cheaper! And I think those seats are leather already, aren't they?
Any good upholstery person can take the covers off and cut and sew in an insert and re install.
Just a thought.

Bruce

Okiedokie

There are some places that will do it for maybe half of that 10 grand, but they won't be well known. You will have to do some serious shopping and get some references you can look at. You can also save some by mixing leather with some man made leather like materials. I have talked with a couple of local shops that have done quality work for friends that have quoted in the $5000 range for leather for my 40 coupe.

Okiedokie

Quit to soon. The local "well known" guys estimated 10 to 12 grand, with 2500 down to save a spot for maybe a year away. Not for me thanks.

papastoyss

I just had a 47 Ford coupe w/back seat done in Optima  (fake) leather by a local guy . I furnished & mounted the seats. The quality was ok, I've seen worse jobs that cost a lot more. I've also had cars done by that "name" guy in Cullman Al. He's out of my league pricewise  now so this 4000$ job looks pretty good.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

DRD57

Two friends just got hot rods uphostered. The 36 3W went for a TJ T&R and the 32 5W went for leather T&R at Ron Mangus' shop. One was $600. and the other was $13500.

37fordcoupe

I bought my hides off E-Gay six full size hides and a local guy did my 1937 Ford Coupe complete, Seats,Headliner, Doors, Trunk, and wool carpet for $5200 labor. the total price with me buying all the meterial was $6400. I had priice quotes from $9000 to $19,000 so I was really happy with the job and price...

Darrell Lewis
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TO MUCH SPACE

Carnut

Nephew bought hides and did it himself.

I was really surprised how much spray glueing was involved on the
interior surfaces with now a days leather interiors.

57larry

Denise just had the interior done on her Olds. how much was that?

kb426

You guys got my attention. I had no idea that it cost that much. There's a shop in Kansas City that did several of my friends cars. I believe they were all from 2 to 3 grand but this was at least 5 years ago.
TEAM SMART

phat rat

Good work isn't cheap. But cheap work can be expensive. A few years ago a friend of mine didn't want to spend the money to have the guy that did my cpe do his car. Well after about the fifth redo including having to buy more leather, because of all the needle holes, he and his wife took it apart again and finished it up themselves. The reason for all the re-dos was that he was having it done tricolor w/vertical stripes and the stripes the first time were off by a little over 1 full stripe from bottom cushion to top cushion. I think peace of mind is worth a bit myself and I've never regreted the 5 grand my leather and wool interior/trunk cost me 12 years ago.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

phat46

:shock:  :shock:  I had no idea that interior work was that expensive. I balked at a guy that quoted me $700 a few years ago to do the seats and side panels in my '46 with material that i already had. He said that was no carpet, and no headliner and I thought that was way too much!!! I guess i'm WAY outta touch!

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "57larry"Denise just had the interior done on her Olds. how much was that?

Fat Lucky at the South Austin Speed Shop did Big Olds' interior.  The shop can be reached at 512-693-7277.  Each car is different and they ask that you call for a quote.  John is the name of the guy that runs the place.  I could not be happier.  I've also been a firm believer in you get what you pay for.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.