Custom made brake hoses

Started by junkyardjeff, March 10, 2008, 11:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

Does anyone know where custom made brake hoses can be made,I am adding discs on my 37 chevy p/u and would like to use the original hose brackets on the frame.  I dont have the axle mounted yet so I dont know if I will need custom made hoses but would like to know if they can be made if the need arises.  Jeff

Charlie Chops 1940

Google Godman Hi Performance. They have most every fitting and adaptor known to man and can do braided hoses in a lot of configurations. They have a good catalog with diagrams and fittings and lots of neat parts. You might consider ordering one. It's very useful to understand all the different fittings and thread standards.

I'm not sure that anyone does custom rubber hoses though if that's what you are looking for.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

junkyardjeff

Will check them out if I need custom hoses,I bought a used disc kit and someone doubled up the hoses to make it work on the truck it came off of.  It has mid size GM calipers so I hope I can find something at a local parts store.  Jeff

phat rat

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"Will check them out if I need custom hoses,I bought a used disc kit and someone doubled up the hoses to make it work on the truck it came off of.  It has mid size GM calipers so I hope I can find something at a local parts store.  Jeff

If you have a store with friendly counter guys and catalogs ask them if you can look through them. Have your measurements with you and just look through the books the for length and the end sizes and style you need. Also you can cut the brackets off and move them to where you need them
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

C9

Either take the banjo bolt with you or figure out whether you have the 3/8-NF threaded caliper fitting or the metric one on the caliper.

Use care because the 3/8-NF will screw a ways into the metric tapped hole and fool you.

Been there, done that.... :oops:

The small - with lots of neat stuff - speed shop in Central California where I used to live made brake lines in-house.
More than likely theres a speed shop near you that can do it.
If they do sprint cars etc. they're more likely to have the machine to do it.

Take a look in an Earls catalog as well.
They carry brake hose and matching components.

You can put em together, but it's a *.
I like to make up Earls type lines etc., but I ain't gonna try to do brake lines unless it absolutely has to be done.

I thought I'd run black rubber lines on the new roadster, but I couldn't find any that were the right size that didn't have the steel piece halfway up the line where the line was braced or tied down to a bracket.

Stainless for me I guess.... :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Take a look over on the HAMB, one of the guys there made up a couple of simple aluminum brackets and ran stainless line to the tie rod.
A line from each side met at a tee and the line from the M/C went to the tee near the pitman arm.
Everything cleared nicely and to my eye was better than the big loop of stainless that'll trip you up sometimes when you're fooling with the engine . . . on a highboy anyway, if you have fenders no problems.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

papastoyss

If you will check $ there isn't much difference in price between braided ss in the kits w/brkts ,new banjo bolts and copper washers and the parts store rubber hoses. The kits are available in several lengths.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Charlie Chops 1940

I suggested the Godman catalog because it has a lot of info about inverted flare, AN, pipe sizes, etc.

All Star is another good supplier of ready made race car oriented stuff. Their braided brake lines are quite reasonable if anyone needs to go that way

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

sirstude

I got all my stuff from Speedway and not too expensive.  I am working with air bags, so needed pretty long lines to allow all the travel.  The only mess up I made was I forgot to order the 10mm banjo bolts.  Had to go to 2 parts houses to get them, they each stock one bolt.  The fun of living in a small town.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

river1

Quote from: "C9"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Take a look over on the HAMB, one of the guys there made up a couple of simple aluminum brackets and ran stainless line to the tie rod.
A line from each side met at a tee and the line from the M/C went to the tee near the pitman arm.
Everything cleared nicely and to my eye was better than the big loop of stainless that'll trip you up sometimes when you're fooling with the engine . . . on a highboy anyway, if you have fenders no problems.

i think this is what jay is thinking of, welder series is a member of both the RRT and the HAMB.

http://www.welderseries.com/32proj/pages/art26.htm

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.