OMG, I made it

Started by purplepickup, March 07, 2008, 09:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

Quote from: "bucketmouth"........and diagnosed a faulty dissi module. Luckily I kept the old points and condenser fitted them and was fine for the rest of the weekend.............

Yep that is a real possibility also, happened to me.  I carry a coil, cap, rotor and module with me.  It can be a long way between parts stores where I live.  I also carry the parts to convert a 3-wire alternator to a 1-wire as parts houses don't have those either as I once found out the hard way.  Summit now has those parts in a kit or you can go to the tech part of my site and I list them thanks to Wayne.....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/techinfo.html

...... look for the 1-wire alternator section on the menu.

George I'll bet that it is an ignition problem (coil or module) and not fuel as I don't see the filter clogging progressively quicker like that in such a short period of time.

c ya,

Sum

purplepickup

Quote from: "Harry"
Quote from: "Purplepickup"It's close to spring.  I think I'll let it set until warm weather.  I've got another backup car :lol:
Are they difficult to drive?
Do you have large mirrors?

Good one Harry :lol:
Naw, it's not too bad.  I just back up til I hit something...sort of how the blue hairs drive in Florida.

Quote from: "1FATGMC"George I'll bet that it is an ignition problem (coil or module) and not fuel as I don't see the filter clogging progressively quicker like that in such a short period of time.

c ya,

Sum
It's a 3.8 and has three coils.  It doesn't seem like they'd all go at the same time.  I don't know where the ignition module is.  It doesn't have a distributor.  Sometimes I'd think it was ignition then sometimes I was convinced it was fuel....dunno.   I'll see if I can get a code on it to point me in the right direction...and borrow a service manual.  

My shop is full and I don't need the car right now so I'll put it on my spring to-do list.  It's an ugly old people's car but it gets 30 mpg on the highway and is very comfortable to drive.  It needs to be brought back to life.
George

1FATGMC

Quote from: "purplepickup"........It's a 3.8 and has three coils.  It doesn't seem like they'd all go at the same time.  I don't know where the ignition module is.  It doesn't have a distributor............

Well knowing that, it doesn't have a module and the ignition is all computer controlled and sounds like "wasted spark" with 3 coil packs.  You are now past the territory that I know much about  :cry: .

I'll be interested in finding out the solution, besides switching cars  :shock: (that's been my solution at times also  :D ),

Sum

Leon

Sharon's was a 3.8 and had the 3 coils and I found the part that they mounted to was the ignition module.  When ran for a bit it would quit and after it cooled off it would run again.

rooster

Quote from: "Leon"Sharon's was a 3.8 and had the 3 coils and I found the part that they mounted to was the ignition module.  When ran for a bit it would quit and after it cooled off it would run again.

On our 3.8 it was the crankshaft pickup, if the engine was cool it would run! To get home we poured water on the magnetic pickup to cool it , about a 35 dollar fix , but not east to get to. I made a post about this years ago.

enjenjo

The module is under the coils, if you need one, I have a spare.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

Quote from: "rooster"
To get home we poured water on the magnetic pickup to cool it , about a 35 dollar

awful expensive for some water. was it evian???

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Bugpac

I agree module...and or crank sensor, i have had both go bad on the same car..dont buy nothing from autozone for it tho, unless you thrill on gambeling... :D
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

jimcaf

Hey George,,,i dont much about the ignition or have much experiance with GMs but on the fuel end ,,If you turn the key in the on position and you hear the fuel pump cycle id think that would probly eliminate the fuel pump and fuel pump relay as the problem,,if you pull the fuel filter you should be able to blow thru it fairly freely,,,

purplepickup

Just a follow-up......

I finally put the Buick on the lift and tried the easiest thing first.  I changed the fuel filter and I was able to start it and it kept running 8) ....BUT....when I checked for leaks I noticed that there was brake fluid dripping.  I must have bumped a rusty brake line.  I changed the line and while bleeding the brakes I popped another rusty brake line.  I sat under the car with brake fluid running down my arm and thought about this whole situation.  I bought the car for $2000 5 years ago so it has only cost me $400 per year.  I called the junk yard and they will come get it and give me $325 for it.  

Looks like it's taking it's final trip real soon :D
George

river1

400 bucks a year, yup you got your moneys worth, it'll live on as a new toyota.  :?  :?

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

sometimes it is best to 'let it go' .
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

It's got a full tank of gas and I don't know how to get it out.  I tried siphoning but I can't get a hose to reach the gas.  I tried taking the fuel filter off thinking the electric fuel pump would pump it when I turned the key on but it doesn't.  I think I'll go to the cabin for the weekend and ponder on it.
George

wvcab

a punch in the bottom of the tank, and some clean 5 gallon buckets?

rooster

Quote from: "purplepickup"It's got a full tank of gas and I don't know how to get it out.  I tried siphoning but I can't get a hose to reach the gas.  I tried taking the fuel filter off thinking the electric fuel pump would pump it when I turned the key on but it doesn't.  I think I'll go to the cabin for the weekend and ponder on it.

George, maybe you could get to the gas by siphoning throught the ele pump RETURN LINE. Just a brain fart!