Holley carb

Started by zzebby, March 07, 2008, 12:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzebby

On a 460 Ford motor I can't get the accelerator pump to squirt.  The passage from the pump through to the squirters seems to be plugged.  The pump lever will not depress when all together as a carb.  I pulled the bowl and metering block and it will squirt through the brass tube,  you know the one with a little o ring on each end.    I look up un the body of the carb and seems like there might be a ball bearing in there,  but can't see for sure.  I don't see how to get into the body or the squirters.  Anyone else solved this in the past ???
It is a single pumper, single feed and probably the stock factory carb.  Vacuum secondaries.
thanks

wayne petty

the check ball is under the diaphram... that is the inlet....

the outlet check is a tapered end pin under the acclelrator pump shooter screw... there are no check balls in the metering block....

how to clear the passage????? hmmm... soaking the metering block in  carb dip...    boiling water.(in a container that is never going to be used for cooking food).. spraying  brake cleaner into the passage...

the strongest carb spray i know of is B-12 chemtool spray... and you want to remove the power valve if you are going to spray in the area...

i have only seen these clog when sugar or syrup has been spiked into the fuel system.... and the heat from the engine running cooks it to candy....

Jokester

Old memory cells waking up here.  I seem to remember that you could get the metering body gaskets on backwards and plug the pump shot hole.  Check your holes.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

zzebby

Got it fixed, thanks guys.
I did check the gaskets for backwards,  but they were correct.  Actually on this one you can't get them backwards.  
It was the little steel tapered pin below the squirter.  Stuck down.  I'm surprised as the pump makes a lot of pressure,  but I guess the combo of aluminum and steel makes some corrosion and it was stuck.  As soon as I wiggled it loose I had squirt.