mustang2 leak

Started by reborn55, February 27, 2008, 08:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

was trying to change insulator bushings on Mustang 2 power rack without taking it out of car.  got them out but put the rack in a bind a few time.  Now the upper--sector shaft seal area is leaking.  Pulled the rack down and took seal out.  Just a little flat seal--all that it sat on was boss in teh upper housing.  Is this little seal all that keeps the fluid in or could I ahve scored another seal internally.  Looks like th housing comes off by removing 3 bolts and line fittings.  Haven't been able to find an exploded view or instructions in any of my shop manuals or the seal as of yet.  Any help would be appreciated.

enjenjo

Yes, that is the only seal in there. There is an Oring below on the shaft, but I can't see how you could hurt that.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/16/76/1f/0900823d8016761f/repairInfoPages.htm

click on the image and it will enlarge if you have java script on...

edit... looks like you have the TRW unit not the ford unit...
internal parts are simular.... and available.. probably less wear...

be sure to center the rack and figure out the inputshaft  rotational position before you remove it.. i think there is a nut on the bottom end of the input shaft..    maybe, maybe not...

see if there are any rack and pinion rebuilders in your town..
most of the smaller shops can do that rack in a few hours...

more edit.. the info below is for a ford unit...

there are teflon seals on the input shaft/valve assembly...

i have had a few apart a long time ago... the bore gets grooved from the seals pushing agenst it... wears grooves...

rebuilders bore this out and sleeve it...  and the piston bore...

that is the only way to fix it if the bore is worn... and it is either leaking pressure out the input shaft or left side housing... lack of assist also...

the above link is for a later model but the internals are the same...

if you can find a unit that has already been rebuilt you might be farther ahead...  rebuilts are really not too expencive.... i dont know if you arack is custom.. shortened.. or with short or longer inner tie rod ends...

enjenjo

I agree with Wayne, you will probably be further ahead to get an exchange rebuilt.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

reborn55

Thanks guys--FYI--it is a early Ford unit with a short steering shaft---for some reason it is about $75.00 more that the late models.  Replaced one in my delivery.  I think I am going to replace the seal as it was only seeping before I started this project.    Only problem is trying to find just the seal.  If it only comes in the kit then I will replace the rack.  I know I got it into a bind a few time wrestling with it to get the insulators out, but don't think I did any internal damage.  We will have to see if Murphy shows up.  Thanks again.
I found that exploded view last night.  Still trying to find one where the housing seperates.  Have a good one

reborn55

Quick question--Is the seal that I took out considered an oil seal--that actually keeps oil in the unit or a dust seal that keeps the elements out.  thsi would help in pointing me in a direction to go in.  thanks

wayne petty

i forgot to mention that....

it is just a dust / debris seal... like you thought...  the inner pressure holding seals  are replaceable.,...  powercraft , omega  edelman sell reseal kits for it...or at least they used to....

pm me... if you cannot find a seal kit for it...  i have a few of real autoparts stores nearby... and at least 1 father and son rebuilder who has sold me parts before....M2789 moog may be the proper part number for it the parts guy also says ac delco shows a part number for it..ac delco number.36-351670    SEAL KIT,S/GR PINION SHF - ...   . all of my manuals are put away... most of the older chilton thick books cover  this assembly....

reborn55

Thanks--spent about an hour at NAPA earlier going through Ford manuals etc.  Did find what I believe is the correct seal kit.  Will take 4-5 days to get---I did have them order  a rack just in case.  I am going to try to pull the housing off tonight and have a look see.   Will make a decision at that time. Do you know if that is an appropriate way to go.  Got an exploded view and it looks like it.  Thanks for your time.  
Hate to go the rack route as toe in has already been set and it drives down the road real well.  Oh well