Helmet Law ?

Started by Learpilot, February 18, 2008, 08:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: "Rayvyn"
Ya'll can argue it farther. That's my 2c.

No argument here.. ill wear mine as it already saved me once.. Screw the feds it should be the riders choice..
Dave  :wink:  :arrow:

WZ JUNK

I did a little research on the net.  One of the studies I looked at was this one.   http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab004333.html

This research looked at several studies of the topic and summarized the results.  The just of the report came down to this.

Main results
Sixty-one observational studies were selected of varying quality. Despite methodological differences there was a remarkable consistency in results, particularly for death and head injury outcomes. Motorcycle helmets were found to reduce the risk of death and head injury in motorcyclists who crashed. From four higher quality studies helmets were estimated to reduce the risk of death by 42% (OR 0.58, 95% CI 0.50 to 0.68) and from six higher quality studies helmets were estimated to reduce the risk of head injury by 69% (OR 0.31, 95% CI 0.25 to 0.38). Insufficient evidence was found to estimate the effect of motorcycle helmets compared with no helmet on facial or neck injuries. However, studies of poorer quality suggest that helmets have no effect on the risk of neck injuries and are protective for facial injury. There was insufficient evidence to demonstrate whether differences in helmet type confer more or less advantage in injury reduction.

Authors' conclusions
Motorcycle helmets reduce the risk of death and head injury in motorcycle riders who crash. Further well-conducted research is required to determine the effects of helmets and different helmet types on mortality, head, neck and facial injuries. However, the findings suggest that global efforts to reduce road traffic injuries may be facilitated by increasing helmet use by motorcyclists.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

tomslik

Quote from: "jusjunk"
Quote from: "Rayvyn"
Ya'll can argue it farther. That's my 2c.

No argument here.. ill wear mine as it already saved me once.. Screw the feds it should be the riders choice..
Dave  :wink:  :arrow:

exactly!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

tomslik

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I did a little research on the net.  One of the studies I looked at was this one.   http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab004333.html

This research looked at several studies of the topic and summarized the results.  The just of the report came down to this.

Main results
Sixty-one observational studies were selected of varying quality. Despite methodological differences there was a remarkable consistency in results, particularly for death and head injury outcomes. Motorcycle helmets were found to reduce the risk of death and head injury in motorcyclists who crashed. From four higher quality studies helmets were estimated to reduce the risk of death by 42% (OR 0.58, 95% CI 0.50 to 0.68) and from six higher quality studies helmets were estimated to reduce the risk of head injury by 69% (OR 0.31, 95% CI 0.25 to 0.38). Insufficient evidence was found to estimate the effect of motorcycle helmets compared with no helmet on facial or neck injuries. However, studies of poorer quality suggest that helmets have no effect on the risk of neck injuries and are protective for facial injury. There was insufficient evidence to demonstrate whether differences in helmet type confer more or less advantage in injury reduction.

Authors' conclusions
Motorcycle helmets reduce the risk of death and head injury in motorcycle riders who crash. Further well-conducted research is required to determine the effects of helmets and different helmet types on mortality, head, neck and facial injuries. However, the findings suggest that global efforts to reduce road traffic injuries may be facilitated by increasing helmet use by motorcyclists.

John

just out of curiosity, is there a "study" that lets us know the difference between death and being confined to a wheelchair?

chopped

What's the point of $10.000.00 medical ? Thats going to last one day in the hosp.

Pep

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "phat46"I'll never undestand why it takes a law to make some people wear a helmet, but maybe Darwins law will prevail   :lol:

maybe not, ever see a t bucket uhh, t-boned?

gonna make THOSE guys wear a helmet?

a helmet IS NOT a sure lifesaver!
neither is a seat belt or airbags....

it STILL should be up to the rider/passenger....

May not save your life, but may just pay for the constant care you will require for the rest of your life when you are in vegitative state...If your insurance is willing to pay for that and  not burdon your fellow tax payers, then go like Evil Kenevil.....I also find it amusing that the powers that be in that state can make that decision without consulting the insurance comapanies, they're the ones that will be stuck with huge medical bills..
See Ya
Pep

EMSjunkie

In my line of work, I often work with helmet and helmetless riders.
I have found, that depending upon the speed, and how many and what type of vehicles involved, will deterimine if the injuries are "survivable" or not.
I have seen low speed collisions involving a helmeted motorcycle rider and a passenger vehicle, where the rider received minor injuries.
and I have seen low speed accidents that resulted in a fatality.
same with high speed accidents. helmet or not, injuries received depend upon alot of variables.
personally...........I like helmets.......shorty type that cover the main crainium. I have noticed that full length helmets tend to "sit" right at the lever of C-2 C-3 vertebra, which control vegatative functions, such as respirations and heart rate.
full size helmets tend to add alot of weight to the head and neck area, and when subjected to a frontal impact, tend to make the head "sublex" or bend backwards, causing injuries to the neck and brain stem area.

sorry, didn't mean to get off into the pathophysiology of head and neck injuries.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

tomslik

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"In my line of work, I often work with helmet and helmetless riders.
I have found, that depending upon the speed, and how many and what type of vehicles involved, will deterimine if the injuries are "survivable" or not.
I have seen low speed collisions involving a helmeted motorcycle rider and a passenger vehicle, where the rider received minor injuries.
same with high speed accidents. helmet or not, injuries received depend upon alot of variables.
personally...........I like helmets.......shorty type that cover the main crainium. I have noticed that full length helmets tend to "sit" right at the lever of C-2 C-3 vertebra, which control vegatative functions, such as respirations and heart rate.

'ang on, what does that mean?
translation please?

btw, i generally wear a "beanie" but have been thinking about an open face type....
have a full face one that fogs up;)

full size helmets tend to add alot of weight to the head and neck area, and when subjected to a frontal impact, tend to make the head "sublex" or bend backwards, causing injuries to the neck and brain stem area.

sorry, didn't mean to get off into the pathophysiology of head and neck injuries.

Vance

tomslik

Quote from: "Pep"
Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "phat46"I'll never undestand why it takes a law to make some people wear a helmet, but maybe Darwins law will prevail   :lol:

maybe not, ever see a t bucket uhh, t-boned?

gonna make THOSE guys wear a helmet?

a helmet IS NOT a sure lifesaver!
neither is a seat belt or airbags....

it STILL should be up to the rider/passenger....

May not save your life, but may just pay for the constant care you will require for the rest of your life when you are in vegitative state...If your insurance is willing to pay for that and  not burdon your fellow tax payers, then go like Evil Kenevil.....I also find it amusing that the powers that be in that state can make that decision without consulting the insurance comapanies, they're the ones that will be stuck with huge medical bills..

pep, don't feel too bad for the insurance companies.
rates ain't EVER gonna go down, no matter what!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"In my line of work, I often work with helmet and helmetless riders.

Vance

so ...  would those foam wrap around suppports that NHRA ( I think) requires in some classes / certain ETs and lower  help or not..?

:?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

Crosley, I don't think the neck collar you are talking about would be practical on a bike. I think it is mainly to keep your head from banging off your shoulders in a side to side motion.It would probably be pretty hard to do a proper shoulder check while wearing one.Just a comment about the safety issue(accident/fatality rates) as stated about some of the southern states without helmet laws. How much of the lower accident rate can be attributed to the average motorist being used to looking out for motorcyclists year round .Where I'm from the average motorcycle has about 4 months of real regular use per year . By the time the average motorist gets used to sharing the road with bikes the season is over.I think a good portion of the accidents are from drivers not looking for bikes on the road.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "chimp koose"Crosley, I don't think the neck collar you are talking about would be practical on a bike. I think it is mainly to keep your head from banging off your shoulders in a side to side motion.It would probably be pretty hard to do a proper shoulder check while wearing one.Just a comment about the safety issue(accident/fatality rates) as stated about some of the southern states without helmet laws. How much of the lower accident rate can be attributed to the average motorist being used to looking out for motorcyclists year round .Where I'm from the average motorcycle has about 4 months of real regular use per year . By the time the average motorist gets used to sharing the road with bikes the season is over.I think a good portion of the accidents are from drivers not looking for bikes on the road.

I do understand the bike thing since I have ridden for 4 decades and still do.

I was after the NHRA collar opinion and I was not clear on that.  Some times there are safety requirements that do not actually  help.

Seems like some of those players in the football game wear a similar device?

I am Just curiask what,  if any thing, Vance may have to say on these devices

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

You've probably seen the airbag jackets that have a collar bag that pops out too.  http://www.impactjackets.com/
George

38HAULR

Interesting reading. Here in OZ we have had compulsory seatbelt wearing since the 70,s , pre 1964 vehicles do not require belts if the vehicle is unmodified ,these vehicles are deemed not to have factory fitted anchorage points , If you have upgraded and fitted them though, and not worn you are fined ,not sure about the bike helmets though,but the compulsory wearing certainly pre date the seat belt laws.  We do have some concessions  though. Our footballers do not wear padding........Frank.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Crosley"

Vance

so ...  would those foam wrap around supports that NHRA ( I think) requires in some classes / certain ETs and lower  help or not..?

:?

usually what happens in a motorcycle accident is......the riders head strikes the pavement, causing a subluxation, or bending backwards of the cervical spine area.  this is bad.  the added weight of the helmet just compounds the energy being transferred to the riders neck, often resulting in a C-spine fracture, which can lead to total paralysis, or death.
the key is to keep the head from bending backwards.
is a foam neck collar the answer.......I dunno. I wore one when I had my race cars, I believe in them. however, in a street application, where vision is a must, I can see some drawbacks............

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****