What size exhaust pipe?

Started by ragdol, February 12, 2008, 11:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragdol

I am finishing up a '55 Chevy P/U, 350 cid, 350 thm, 3.23 pozi. What is the best size pipe to use for best sound & scavaging? I have 1-5/8" headers into 3" collectors. Also, what muffler would you recommend for a nice deep mellow exhaust note? Thanks, Larry.

wayne petty

i have found out that 90 to 92 fleetwood rear wheel drive cads with the 350 motors use a 2-1/2" muffler... one for the entire system... so 2 of them should be nice and quiet and still flow.
az Part Number:   151203
Weight:   14.1 lbs.   like 42 bucks each...

the 93 versions were stainless steel...80 each

enjenjo

As a rule, the bigger the pipe, the deeper the tone. I like 2 1/2" pipe, and turbo mufflers
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rumrumm

Either 2 inch or 2 1/2 inch would be fine. If it is 350 hp or better, go with 2 1/2. It would be advisable to go with an X-pipe or an H-pipe, too. It will affect your sound level somewhat (quieter) but it will also give you a few extra hp.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

40_Tudor

I used 2 1/2" exhaust from 3" collectors and 1 5/8" headers on my 5L SBC TPI in my 40. Also have X in exhaust and I used Force mufflers, from Jegs, I think they have a better sound than Flowmasters and about half the price. We put Flowmasters, I think they where 40 series, on the 37 Chevy 350 x 350 we built for a friend, he's going to switch to Force. Deep sound but not quite as loud as Flowmasters.