What to look for in a 60's buick V-8?

Started by couper, February 12, 2008, 10:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

couper

My employer has asked me to dispose of an old monster of a tri-hull boat his dad bought new in the mid to late 60's. I have'nt looked at it for a few years, but I remember seeing 'Buick' valve covers on the engine.

My question is, is there anything special about a Buick marine V-8 motor that would make it worth keeping for a future rod project, or is it just another 'run-of-the-mill' motor? What should I look for to determine an answer to my question?

I know it's not a 'Nailhead', but rather resembles a smallblock GM motor.
I'll know more in a few days, but thought I'd throw it out there in advance.
Thanks for any input.
Lance

wayne petty

that could be anything from a 330 to a 400 to a 455...

a lot of intersting parts could come out of that... a marine hydraulic shift transmissiuon...
a vee drive tranmission...    stainless steel prop shaft...  a lot of metals also...  is the hull totallty rotted???

be aware that there will be a large fuel tank under the floor boards.. that is probably still filled with rotten gasoline...  

most of the pieces are resaleable. fittings.. cleats.. electronics..

again just a thought....

Charlie Chops 1940

Mid-60's, like 65/66 might be 401 or 425 Buick Nailheads with factory aluminum valve covers with BUICK in block letters on the side of the covers.

Definitely keepers!

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Distributor in the front or rear? There was nothing special about Buick marine conversions, but they were pretty good engines to begin with.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

couper

I went to look at it today, but the ice storm that hit us monday's got a tree across the boat. I'll keep you posted what I find.
Lance

couper

I looked at the boat motor today and saw that the valve covers are non-descript with no 'Buick' ensignia like I thought(?)....bad memory apparently. The distributor is in the front of the motor angled with the cap at the 1 o'clock position. 'GM' is on the intake (seems like it's wider than a small block chevy). Two barrel carb. The valve covers are not at the same plane as the head surface, but not level either, they tilt upwards near level but not quite.  Cat Iron heads. The front two spark plugs on each side angle forward, while the rear two on each side angle backwards.With all the tree limbs and debris I couldn't get as close as I'd like to find block numbers. Where should I look?
It looks salvagable. Looks cool actually!! besides mouse crap, acorn shells, and the like, I think it's worth a go no matter what it is!
Lance

Charlie Chops 1940

Not a nailhead anyway. Bit I'm not familiar enough with the other Buick engines to identify them. Frank will tell us.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Dave

They used a lot of olds 355's in boat applications too..
Dave

Bugpac

Quote from: "jusjunk"They used a lot of olds 355's in boat applications too..
Dave

you mean 455's right? :D
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

Dave

Quote from: "Bugpac"
Quote from: "jusjunk"They used a lot of olds 355's in boat applications too..
Dave

you mean 455's right? :D
Ya I do now LAY OFF PUNK

Ps: what key is right next to the 4 on your qwerty?????? Ill Be its a 3...

Dave :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bugpac

Someone get up on the wrong side of the bed this am? :D
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Not a nailhead anyway. Bit I'm not familiar enough with the other Buick engines to identify them. Frank will tell us.

Charlie

Well, if the distributor is in front, and the heads are cast iron, it has to be a 300, 340, 350, 400, or 455. If it is truely a 60's motor, the valve covers will tell the tale. 300 or 340 will look like a nailhead valve cover, with bolts around the edge. 400 or 455 will have grooves in the valve cover crosswise, with a flat area in the center. 350 will have grooves the length of the valve covers. Post 69 400 and 455 have valve covers similar to the 350

couper

Valve covers are basic enamel painted metal, shallow in height (not tall) with maybe 3 or 4 raised ribs running length-ways front to back with a flat spot in the center of both. They look very Chevy-350'ish, although I know they're not.
Are the plugs angles in the heads I mentioned sound like the norm for Buick? Olds? As I mentioned, this motor looks a fraction wider than the basic 350 small block.  Hope ya'll don't mind my 'greenhorn' questions. This is new territory for me.

Lance

enjenjo

Quote from: "couper"Valve covers are basic enamel painted metal, shallow in height (not tall) with maybe 3 or 4 raised ribs running length-ways front to back with a flat spot in the center of both. They look very Chevy-350'ish, although I know they're not.
Are the plugs angles in the heads I mentioned sound like the norm for Buick? Olds? As I mentioned, this motor looks a fraction wider than the basic 350 small block.  Hope ya'll don't mind my 'greenhorn' questions. This is new territory for me.

Lance

If the valve covers have 6 bolts, it's a 350, if 5 bolts,  it's a 400 or 455.

Jokester

Hey Lance,

Go to www.napaonline.com or www.oreillyautomotive.com and look up valve cover gaskets for various years and engines.  When you find it click on the link and you'll see a picture of the gasket.  That won't pinpoint it exactly, but at least you can narrow it down quite a bit.

Can you post a picture of the engine?

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.