Larry Brown Collectors Cars

Started by Robza, February 11, 2008, 07:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robza

Hi there,

Just wondering if there is anyone here who has dealt with Larry Brown - Collectors Cars in the past and whether or not he is a reputable person to be dealing with.

I have an eye on an old pickup in Quincy Illinois and was wondering if there is a member near by that could possibly drop in to take a look at the pick up for me to see if its worth buying or not.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Robert

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

38HAULR

Ouch!.   I have seen a similar  tale of woe re a classic dealer in California.and subsequent other buyers adding their similar tale of their experience with that dealer. My experience was also a misrepresented vehicle from a big name dealer in  Florida. Photos looked nice,I asked about the floor pans and was told they were ok,the vehicle had a list of "new parts" replaced,that were obviously not when  I finally got the vehicle. It was described as,a "good driver" But ran like a chaff cutter with shot brakes. The vehicle has had dodgy bodywork covered by a coat of new paint.And floor pans that need replacing,as well as a section of the trunk floor.Front qtr vent window frames rusted out.  When I expressed disappointment ,I was told that he only relayed what "he was told" re the vehicle condition ,and offered me a discount on any other purchase I make.I am puzzled as he moves quite a few vehicles,and  I just might have been unlucky. Sure gets disappointing when you wait  eagerly for 3 months to get a new purchase ,and your first sight of it leaves you floored. Meanwhile ,It gets shelved until I finish my rod construction.......Frank.

chimp koose

WOW, aren't you glad you asked questions first?When I sell a vehicle I tell people all of what I know is wrong with it first. If they are still interested then we deal.Last time I sold a project carI had the guys relative come take pictures of it so he knew there was nothing to hide.

Robza

Well that's annoying yet good to know. :lol:

Thanks enjenjo! I was looking at doing the same with a 69 Vette a few molnths ago. Joined up to a Vette forum and quickly found out a lot of bad info on the Dealer.

Ah the wonders of the Internet.  :)

38HAULR

How do these guys stay in business?.  I am starting to get cynical and look at it this way. Sell a lot of cars ,post good testamonials on their sites[they seem to love these] . Then every now and then flog off a lemon for a quick buck without their image being tarnished.  I thought I was safe when I made my purchase,high profile dealer,everything looked rosy,even emailed me to tell me everyone was commenting on it whilst it was being "detailed". I reckon now the "detailing"work was  done at a clinic for recuperating patients with sight defects...........Frank.

Woody2B

If you're still interested, contact the Early Tin Dusters car club out of Quincy.  They put on a great show in the fall and should be able to help.

Dave

Quote from: "38HAULR"How do these guys stay in business?.  I am starting to get cynical and look at it this way. Sell a lot of cars ,post good testamonials on their sites[they seem to love these] . Then every now and then flog off a lemon for a quick buck without their image being tarnished.  I thought I was safe when I made my purchase,high profile dealer,everything looked rosy,even emailed me to tell me everyone was commenting on it whilst it was being "detailed". I reckon now the "detailing"work was  done at a clinic for recuperating patients with sight defects...........Frank.

With the way the laws work here there are a lot of these guys and they can stay in business.. They really have to screw a bunch of people before they get theirs.. Its a sad deal.. Every time i see someone requesting help looking at a car they are buying sight unseen i pray they get someone close to look for them. Over xmas break a guy on the hamb asked if anyone was in a town in indiana that could look at a car for him. He said he would pay 100 bucks.. I was going to be in Ft wayne and it was another hour  drive to go look at the car but i told him id do it if he couldnt find anyone else..  I never heard back so i think he made a connection..
dave

junkyardjeff

I some how got on his email list and get a list of cars for sale frequently,I did request some pics and from what I seen were over priced for the condition.  Jeff