Looks like tomorrow..

Started by Dave, February 11, 2008, 07:08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Got a call last week and tomorrow the guys from the bike shop are picking up my scoot to put the remaining pieces on it  :lol: We still need to get a trunk liner for it but they have everything else.. I guess the next thing is tires. Im really leary of these dunlops and after talking to rob and debb at the show saturday it looks like in gonna try metzler's.  I dont know if i want to fool with having a set put on down town here while the bike is there or just go somewhere else after they get it done and the weather gets better.. Ill have to think on that a bit.. At least we will have it just about done this week..
Dave

tomslik

Quote from: "jusjunk"Got a call last week and tomorrow the guys from the bike shop are picking up my scoot to put the remaining pieces on it  :lol: We still need to get a trunk liner for it but they have everything else.. I guess the next thing is tires. Im really leary of these dunlops and after talking to rob and debb at the show saturday it looks like in gonna try metzler's.  I dont know if i want to fool with having a set put on down town here while the bike is there or just go somewhere else after they get it done and the weather gets better.. Ill have to think on that a bit.. At least we will have it just about done this week..
Dave

well, i ran out my dunglops, wore out my metzlers (or at least i need a new rear).
they'll get replaced with metzler again.
I'll NEVER ride on dunlops again....
might try ANYTHING else though...

i beleive you and I have the same basic bike (e-glide) right?
no matter, i had a 98 wideglide that i had metzlers put on, you could tell the difference in a 100 feet...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Dave

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "jusjunk"Got a call last week and tomorrow the guys from the bike shop are picking up my scoot to put the remaining pieces on it  :lol: We still need to get a trunk liner for it but they have everything else.. I guess the next thing is tires. Im really leary of these dunlops and after talking to rob and debb at the show saturday it looks like in gonna try metzler's.  I dont know if i want to fool with having a set put on down town here while the bike is there or just go somewhere else after they get it done and the weather gets better.. Ill have to think on that a bit.. At least we will have it just about done this week..
Dave

well, i ran out my dunglops, wore out my metzlers (or at least i need a new rear).
they'll get replaced with metzler again.
I'll NEVER ride on dunlops again....
might try ANYTHING else though...

i beleive you and I have the same basic bike (e-glide) right?
no matter, i had a 98 wideglide that i had metzlers put on, you could tell the difference in a 100 feet...

Ya EGlide.. I dont think the Dunlops have enuff grip and although the wet oil soaked ramp got me it was a few days after I got my scoot back last summer that i was making a left turn at 6:30 am across a 4 lane and a new bridge that was built here over the hiway on my route to work. As I made my left at a rather slow speed the front wheel started to slide out from under me  :?:  I jammed my left foot down and got er back up but *.. scared the S^&T outta me.. Thats when i decided to change.. I did ride out the rest of the summer but the problem was corners bothered me and i cant have that..
Dave

Rayvyn

Quote from: "jusjunk"tomorrow the guys from the bike shop are picking up my scoot. We still need to get a trunk liner for it.
Dave

A trunk liner on a motorcycle... :roll:

Of all the goldchaining things a goldchainer should worry about putting on a goldchainer motorsickle... :?  

Jeez.... :(

Didja order the built in butt warmer and custom coffee carafe' for the fairing too... :?:  :wink:  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Dave

Quote from: "Rayvyn"
Quote from: "jusjunk"tomorrow the guys from the bike shop are picking up my scoot. We still need to get a trunk liner for it.
Dave

A trunk liner on a motorcycle... :roll:

Of all the goldchaining things a goldchainer should worry about putting on a goldchainer motorsickle... :?  

Jeez.... :(

Didja order the built in butt warmer and custom coffee carafe' for the fairing too... :?:  :wink:  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :D

No was too much money :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Ill have a quote on the tires tomorrow if i live thru the night.. I just left a blood trail from the garage to the house.. * stanley knives  :? I got lucky cause Sue pulled in as i was trying to stop the bleeding and wash it with cold water.. She got me bandaged up real nice  :lol: Then She grounded me from the garage for the rest of the night..
Dave :(

Oh ya smarty pants .. The trunk liner is only on the ultra's but since i have an ultra tour pack now i need the liner as it covers up the acorn nuts and stuff for the lights and lamp holders too.. Keeps from knocking the lamps out and if your carrying a helmet is wont get all scratched up..

Bugpac

you should not mix cocktails and stanley knives, especially with less than par vision... :lol:
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

kb426

Several years ago I did a small tire test. I do sport touring so I'm in a different category than you may be. Alot of the new bikes I had bought were oem with Dunlops. I found that they were only good for 1 season before they got hard. I borrowed a durometer tester from a dirt tracker. I compared everything that I owned. The bikes that had first season tires were all about where they should be. Those that had higher miles but still in the first season checked harder but if you rode them a mile and warmed them up, they had the same durometer as the fresher ones. Those that were 2 seasons old, no matter how much tread, never softened up like the newer ones. My conclusion was that if you ride aggressive enough to need the capabilities of the tire, you need fresh rubber every year. Prior to this last year, that wasn't a problem for me because the tires were almost shot by the end of the season. Since I spent most of the summer locked in the garage, I have good tread but 2 year old tires. I have a decision to make pretty quick about that. I run Bridgestone bt020's which have worked very well on this particular bike. I change my own tires so the expense isn't terrible.
TEAM SMART

phat rat

Quote from: "Bugpac"you should not mix cocktails and stanley knives, especially with less than par vision... :lol:

I would say you hit the nail on the head with that observation
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Dave

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "Bugpac"you should not mix cocktails and stanley knives, especially with less than par vision... :lol:

Ok butt heads.. I wasnt drinking.
Dave

Bugpac

Quote from: "jusjunk"

Dave

well shoot....Did ya have your glasses on? :lol:
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

Dave

Quote from: "kb426"Several years ago I did a small tire test. I do sport touring so I'm in a different category than you may be. Alot of the new bikes I had bought were oem with Dunlops. I found that they were only good for 1 season before they got hard. I borrowed a durometer tester from a dirt tracker. I compared everything that I owned. The bikes that had first season tires were all about where they should be. Those that had higher miles but still in the first season checked harder but if you rode them a mile and warmed them up, they had the same durometer as the fresher ones. Those that were 2 seasons old, no matter how much tread, never softened up like the newer ones. My conclusion was that if you ride aggressive enough to need the capabilities of the tire, you need fresh rubber every year. Prior to this last year, that wasn't a problem for me because the tires were almost shot by the end of the season. Since I spent most of the summer locked in the garage, I have good tread but 2 year old tires. I have a decision to make pretty quick about that. I run Bridgestone bt020's which have worked very well on this particular bike. I change my own tires so the expense isn't terrible.

Thats interesting.. I do think these dunlops are junk and were junk when new.. heavy bike not enuff grip = meat wagon ride and my luck id get a guy like vance  :lol:  :lol: .. When i wrenched pavement sprinter i watched  a guy try to take out the wall with year old tires.. Sure after a few laps they softened right up then go out and qualify on em and all of sudden they are hard as a brick :?:  Watched a guy take out the wall in a super modified and brake both feet.. He is lucky he didnt loose em cause the car was cut in half.. That was at Toledo and they were fast for a short time.. We used to toss last years tires and buy new.. On the dirt its prolly different but pavement can kill ya fast with old rubber.. Tell me more about your tests though.. was this a one shot deal like go out ride warm em up good take a reading then your done or did you actually track em for a while?
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

Dave

Quote from: "Bugpac"

Dave

well shoot....Did ya have your glasses on? :lol:

Ya I did.. Nother stupid mistake and I prolly need stitches but ive been here before..
Dave :arrow:

kb426

Dave, my testing was a one shot deal. I have friends that put on new tires and ride 500 miles per year. In my checking, the age had more to do with the hardness of the tires than miles or 'heat cycles". I can't explain that because age and heat cycles should be related. I found that the Dunlop equivalent of the Bridgestones  lost it's capabilities worse than both the Bridgstones and some Metzlers I've run. I usually get 6500 miles on tires before I notice a significant difference. I have run some as high as 9500 miles but when they get some age on them, I'm very careful. That usually has to do with a trip and not replacing before I leave. I have dual sport, pure sport, and sport touring in the garage. I'm not crazy with any of the bikes but I don't ride like my age either. I just plan on new tires every 2 years to have reasonable expectations of performance. I don't know about your bike but 2 of mine are very sensitive to the tire that's on them. After I find a good one, I'm hesitant to change brands or compounds.
TEAM SMART

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "kb426".

Thats interesting.. I do think these dunlops are junk and were junk when new.. heavy bike not enuff grip = meat wagon ride and my luck id get a guy like vance  :lol:  :lol: ..  :?:    

You'd be darn lucky to get a Medic like me :-o

24 years experience, or maybe you need a eager, aggressive fresh graduate :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Rayvyn

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "kb426".

Thats interesting.. I do think these dunlops are junk and were junk when new.. heavy bike not enuff grip = meat wagon ride and my luck id get a guy like vance  :lol:  :lol: ..  :?:    

You'd be darn lucky to get a Medic like me :-o

24 years experience, or maybe you need a eager, aggressive fresh graduate :lol:

Vance

Someone needs to tell Barney Scissorhands to let the seeing eye dog handle the knife from now on... :wink:  :P  :P  :P  :D

Did the wifey kiss the boo-boo and make it better... ~:)
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...