Oil pressure sending unit

Started by Learpilot, January 19, 2008, 06:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

Could you use a oil pressure sending unit for fuel pressure ? Both of the oil pressure sending units are the same.
I was thinking you could have a switch between the gauge and the sending units to monitor  oil or fuel (EFI pressure is 30 to 45 psi) pressure.
Most fuel pressure gauges That I have found are for Carbs and top out at 20 psi.
Thanks, Rick Harris.

tomslik

as bad as most o/p senders leak, i wouldn't even concider it.....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

UGLY OLDS

Neat idea & good thinkin' but I have to agree with him....Most of them "seep" from day one ..Besides...Would the diaphram hold up to todays fuels   :?:  :?:

Bob...
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Ed ke6bnl

I am using a Summit digital oil guage for diesel pressure gauge but that is kinda oil.

probably would work. At the price about $45 with sender they get for the summit unit it was worth a chance. most places get that much for the sending unit and a replacement sending unit is about $10
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Learpilot

The reason I have a extra oil pressure sending unit is because I though I had one that was leaking.  It was not ,but a bad distributor. The sending unit is good, but you bring up a good point about if the fuel will eating up the sending unit and start leaking. You know the rest, " FIRE".  I don't want that so I want do it.
Thanks for the info.
Rick Harris

enjenjo

What brand gauge do you have? there are several fuel pressure senders available for various brands. Either 0 to 15 psi, or 0 to 100 psi.

You could also use the oil pressure sender with a fuel pressure isolator.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Learpilot

Quote from: "enjenjo"What brand gauge do you have? there are several fuel pressure senders available for various brands. Either 0 to 15 psi, or 0 to 100 psi.

What do you mean by fuel pressure isolator ?
I have VDO Cockpit gauges.
Thanks, Rick Harris

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "Learpilot"
Quote from: "enjenjo"What brand gauge do you have? there are several fuel pressure senders available for various brands. Either 0 to 15 psi, or 0 to 100 psi.

Thanks, Rick Harris

fuel pressure isolator

this is a fuel pressure isolator it will take the gas on one side and on the other side of the diaphragm will be glycol solution that will run to the gauge in the cab.
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Learpilot

Quote from: "Ed ke6bnl"
Quote from: "Learpilot"

Thanks, Rick Harris

fuel pressure isolator

this is a fuel pressure isolator it will take the gas on one side and on the other side of the diaphragm will be glycol solution that will run to the gauge in the cab.
That is very cool !
Thanks , Rick Harris

C9

You can get smaller fuel pressure isolaters for use with mechanical gauges.
Not sure where, the local speed shop ordered this one in for me.

You can see mine just behind the half-way point of the stainless throttle rod.

Follow the braided line out from behind it - where it makes a 90* turn toward the rear of the car - and you'll see how it goes up to the top of the firewall.
At the firewall it connects to a bulkhead T fitting partly hidden by the black hose from the oil/air separator where it drops down to the pressure gauge on the dash.

One outlet of the T is capped.
You'll note that the capped outlet is the highest point in the system which makes it self-bleeding.
Takes a little time, maybe a half hour to get all the bubbles out, but no big deal.

Not shown is a hose barb fitting - also Earls for the 37* AN factor - with dedicated hose and funnel for filling.
Lives in a plastic bag when not in use.

Between isolater and gauge, some guys use anti-freeze straight, some use mineral oil (easily obtainable at the grocery store), but I like ATF cuz I almost always have some on hand.

C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.