rambler disc brake options

Started by tomslik, January 19, 2008, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

i already know that amc disc brakes are about as close to a bolt-on as possible BUT trying to find the stuff to do it in a salvage yard around here is zip.... so, is there a rotor that will fit the spindles that fairly common?

ford OR gm boltpattern?

how about caliper mounts?

gonna have to make my own or what (assuming there's a rotor available)?

wouldn't mind using a metric GM caliper anyway....as i've got a pair of rebuilt ones....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

As you probably know, there are only two spindles on AMC cars from 1950 on, and they will interchange. Last I checked, you could still get Concord rotors at a decent price, and they will fit the older spindles. The calipers on Concords were Ford bendix, and used a cast bracket that bolted behind the spindle.

I am told, but have not tried it, that Ford Ranger rotors will bolt on to AMC spindles, with stock Ford bearings. Can't help you on a GM caliper bracket.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"As you probably know, there are only two spindles on AMC cars from 1950 on, and they will interchange. Last I checked, you could still get Concord rotors at a decent price, and they will fit the older spindles. The calipers on Concords were Ford bendix, and used a cast bracket that bolted behind the spindle.

i THINK you need a disc brake spindle and that's the problem....

I am told, but have not tried it, that Ford Ranger rotors will bolt on to AMC spindles, with stock Ford bearings. Can't help you on a GM caliper bracket.

any idea on what year ranger?

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

t-vicky

Go to www.carnut.com & look under car tech - econoline disc brake install. If it looks like anything that might work let me know & I will send you the info.

tomslik

Quote from: "t-vicky"Go to www.carnut.com & look under car tech - econoline disc brake install. If it looks like anything that might work let me know & I will send you the info.

that might just work, what're the rotors?
+i'll take any info you wanna share!

t-vicky

The rotors are 96-7 Inteipid FWD & the calipers are mid 70s chevy.

Crosley.In.AZ

Rotor over the hub is an option as shown in the econoline mods.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)