Pet Peeve

Started by enjenjo, January 08, 2008, 09:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I am getting tired of trying to remember where the controls are on my various cars. One has the high beam on the turn signal stalk, pull up to activate the high beam, the other has it the same place, but you push down to activate. One has the wipers on the left, the other, has the wipers on the right. One has the cruise control on the steering wheel, the other has the radio controls there. nothing seems to be more distracting that trying to figure out what does what on the particular car I am driving at that minute.

End of rant.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

TEAM SMART

classicautoresto

I know the feeling....I yanked down on my wife's wiper comtrol about 20 or 30 times on her van to put it in gear. The gearshift is on the dashboard on her KIA. :oops:

Charlie Chops 1940

I'm with you on that...I'm never sure what to expect with a rental. My hot rods are still old tech with stuff where it belongs.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Jokester

Plus it's hard to get your foot up to that column mounted dimmer switch.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

chimp koose

Have you ever mistakenly gone for second gear on the truck's column shift three on the tree only to realise you are driving the van with column shift automatic? I feel your pain.

chimp koose

I was just thinkin, that last one aughta put me on team smart eh? Or at least on their intellectually disabled list!

moose

Frank,
I totally agree. I think it is a plot against us seasoned drivers. Kids probably do not have the same issues having grown up with game controlleers all having different layouts not not having developed the muscle memoery for the CORRECT control layout we all grew up with....

Tim

Learpilot

Quote from: "moose"Frank,
I totally agree. I think it is a plot against us seasoned drivers. Kids probably do not have the same issues having grown up with game controlleers all having different layouts not not having developed the muscle memoery for the CORRECT control layout we all grew up with....

Tim
I know what you mean about cars. I guess the solution is to have the same type through out your fleet (Chev, Ford, ect.). You need to try Airplanes. We are going 550 mph and no two planes are the same. You can have two Lears and a Falcon and have 300 switches in a different place in everyone. Also we had three different FMS (flight management  systems or GPS ) in each one. They programed differently and they all called fuel by a different name. One was fuel the other one was plan and the other one was flt plan. At one time we had four different type of Airplanes to fly. One day you would be in the a pure jet powered, the next a turboprop and the next a fan jet. One with  round gauges the other with electronic gauges (glass cockpit). The Learjet 45 is the first airplane that I have flown that all of them are the same.
That is just my two cents worth.
Rick Harris

48ford

When I was a young man I drove a fork lift(hi-lo) and the tranny selector was in the same spot as a car would have the trun signal,so when you got off work after driving that thing all day, you would jump in the car push the turn signal up and wonder why the thing won't move! so now when I run down the road and see a car with the blinker on I think he may have drove a fork lift.
Russ

Uncle Bob

Easy solutions Frank.  Pour on the Rain X so you don't need the wipers and do like the Honda drivers around here do.  Never use your turn signals and drive with your brights on all the time.

:)
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Jbird

I solved that problem a long time ago. I only use the three main controls, gas pedal, steering wheel and horn. All those other gizmos just take the pleasure out of commuting.   Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

river1

Quote from: "Jbird"I solved that problem a long time ago. I only use the three main controls, gas pedal, steering wheel and horn. All those other gizmos just take the pleasure out of commuting.   Jbird 8)

i only use two the gas pedal and steering wheel.

in my daily driver i never use my turn signal (i know :oops: ) but when i drive my 48 i reach for the turn signal for every turn. problem is the 48 doesn't HAVE a turn signal.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

WZ JUNK

Frank, you are a fabricator.  Pick out the set of controls that you like best and then modify the rest of your vehicles so that they are all the same.  Simple solution and it should not take more than a couple of months to do. :lol:

As a side note.  We have about 60 school buses.  There are many different models, years, and makes.  Each one is a little different and some are as different as night and day.  Every time I drive a different one I have to relearn the controls.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

purplepickup

Yup, besides having 4 different cars in the house, I use the pool vehicles at work to travel in.  I damned near broke the right hand windshield wiper stalk off the column the other day trying to get a car in gear.  The beater I've been driving this winter has a column shift and this car was a floor shift....or I should say a dash shift.   Then I tried to turn the radio down and couldn't find the volume....same with the heater controls :|  My travelling companions were real impressed  :roll:
George