How do you protect your ride from HAIL Storm!

Started by rooster, May 27, 2004, 07:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Resenty in St Louis and mid-west we have been under the gun with hail storms, more expected tonight. Unable to fit all my rides in the garage we place wet quilts on the cars left outside, cordbord works good also but blows away to easy. Parking under tree only helps alittle! Hail storm the other day stripped the trees bare in parts of the city. estamated 40K were damaged, Ideas Wanted!

sirstude

One year we had hail at out rod run (starts tomorrow) and I saw a couple of guys strip all the blankets from their hotel rooms and put them on the cars.  They then layed (sp) across the cars to protect them as much as possible.  I am not sure that I want to take the hail beating to save my car myself.  Wish I had my camera at that time.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

HotRodLadyCrusr

As far as if your at home, seems like your doing everything you can to try to keep damages to a minimum.  Blankets, cardboard, pillows, ducktape or bungees, this is about all I can think of to cover your cars with.  If the cars are running does any or your neighbors have room in their garages?

While in Springfield on Power Tour 2001 we got hit with some outragous weather one evening, tornados and hail expected.  We were staying at at Super 8 and a few of the guys took the mattreses off their beds and put them on their hoods and roofs.  Needless to say the motel staff were not pleased.  The bank kittycorner from the motel had hot rods in the driveup window areas.

Dad, I and a few others decided to head to the local In-N-Out burger place which had drive-in overhangs.  We waited the worse of the weather out there eating and drinking with other like minded PT folks.

While on the way to a GG show one year dad and some buds hit some hail and they didn't pull over under a overpass or anything and dad's '50 Olds fastback ended up with a couple thousand dollars worth of hail damage.

We usually get what you guys get the following day so I guess cruzn in Big Olds on Friday nite is probley out of the picture.  :lol:

Good Luck bud
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

58 Yeoman

Self service car washes are always a good bet, if one is handy. Also, around here, the self service storage buildings are left unlocked if they are empty, and when you want one, you put a lock on it and go to the office. Only works if they do it that way when you need it, and it's not fenced in. Many hospitals have parking garages, worth the quarter to park there.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

1FATGMC

We get hail here more than I like.  My truck has been parked in it a couple times with no damage.  The hail was pea size and smaller thank goodness.

A couple years ago I had a woman and her mom in the store and a big storm hit and you could hear a little hail.  She grabbed her mom and rushed out of the store and drove off.  The storm passed with just a touch of really small hail and she came back.  I asked her where she went.  She said that a friend of her's told her that if there was hail that it would do less damage if she drove like crazy away from it.  Only problem here is that all the roads go north-south and the storms go west-east.

Oh well it must have worked as she had no hail damage  :roll: .

c ya, Sum

Dolly

Seems to me like you guys need to move here, where our biggest issue is birds crapping on our cars.  :wink:

Hail is pretty much unheard of andwhatw e call hail is smaller than your pea sized stuff, although further north in Sin City they do have at least one big hail storm each year that damages cars.  Like even now in the middle of winter we're all just wishing it would rain for a few days.
Dolly

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

rooster

Quote from: "Dolly"Seems to me like you guys need to move here, where our biggest issue is birds crapping on our cars.  :wink:

Hail is pretty much unheard of andwhatw e call hail is smaller than your pea sized stuff, although further north in Sin City they do have at least one big hail storm each year that damages cars.  Like even now in the middle of winter we're all just wishing it would rain for a few days.

Pea size is common in the most rersent storms but a few days ago a part of the city got up to 2 1/2" with 70 MPH winds, some of these cars were destroyed, and houses also! This week has been Hell week "weather wise" around here, but this Sunday dont sound good!

Dirk35

Lightening struck somewhere near (like within 50 feet) my house last night. It blew out both satellite cable boxes, my VCR, the Air Conditioner, and about 5 different light bulds in the house.  I flipped the outside breaker for the A/C and hit the reset switch on the side of the unti, but the outside compressor and fan still wouldnt come back on.

Weird thing about the cable boxes and the VCR, they were on the same surge protector as the TV and the DVD but they are working fine.

enjenjo

I had my AC fixed last week, Lightning burned out the contacter at the compressor, $85 parts and labor.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Nick32Vic

* Rooster, we didnt get any hail on this side of the river (alton) before Friday that i know of. But hail helps sales for my dad! haha, he sells fastners to body shops.

I was in Springfield MO this weekend along with some others from RRT and about half the participants left saturday from the forecast of baseball sized hail, we stayed and it cleared up and the peeople from our area supposdly got hammerd with rain and hail and stuff on there drive home saturday.

Nick

rooster

[quote * Rooster, we didnt get any hail on this side of the river (alton) before Friday that i know of. But hail helps sales for my dad! haha, he sells fastners to body shops.

I was in Springfield MO this weekend along with some others from RRT and about half the participants left saturday from the forecast of baseball sized hail, we stayed and it cleared up and the peeople from our area supposdly got hammerd with rain and hail and stuff on there drive home saturday.

Nick[/quote]

You were probly smart to stay where you were in Springfield, it developed about their and just expanded accross the whole state and then some. Around 5pm it came threw Fenton, little rain, no hail, but alot of wind (big time) SUDDENLY! 20 minutes of that and it was all over.Funnel cloud siteings all over the place, All the touch downs seem to be on your side of river, Carlye, and Vandelya. Same string of stoms has produced over 100 twisters and is headed toward the East coast, sounds pretty bad in Indana. I hope this sfuff is over!

Nick32Vic

Wow, sounds like it was pretty intense here! My uncle said trees were bent over with the tops touching ground.

So are you all right Rooster? Did you get lots of damage and stuff? We just have tons of tree limbs in our yard.

Nick

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Nick32vic"this side of the river (alton)

This is off topic, but Alton is where another guy and I had our motorcycle shop (Honda, Suzuki, Norton) in the late '60's.  It was down on Broadway.

c ya, Sum

Leon

I hope this stuff quits real quick!  We're leaving tomorrow to cruise east with the Americruise group then heading down to Ft Worth to pick up the Power Tour.  I guess I should bring a hard hat if I want to keep the top down :lol:

Nick32Vic

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "Nick32vic"this side of the river (alton)

This is off topic, but Alton is where another guy and I had our motorcycle shop (Honda, Suzuki, Norton) in the late '60's.  It was down on Broadway.

c ya, Sum

WOW! Thats cool 1FAT! We cruise down broadway to go up the river road on sundays when its nice with the top down. How long did you live here? Did you know anybody in the rod scene?

Nick