Need help with seat foam

Started by kb426, January 01, 2008, 03:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I need to taper the foam on the seat back. It's 18" tall and 44" wide. I need to cut several inches off the top and taper down to 0 about 1/3 of the way up from the seat bottom. I don't have a saw that big, no hot wire or a good idea. Is there a 100% way to do this or do I need to find an uph. shop that knows how to do it?
TEAM SMART

Bugpac

go get a electric turkey carving knife... :D
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

Dave

Quote from: "Bugpac"go get a electric turkey carving knife... :D

You pretty fart smeller..
ya lectric k-nife.
A chain saw will work too but its pretty messy...
Dave :lol:  :wink:  :arrow:

Bugpac

I have pondered in some upholstery work... :D

enjenjo

You can also sand it into shape with a small disc on a die grinder, but it's messy.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Frank, I have around 3" to remove at the top. I don't have an electric knife close to the length I need.
TEAM SMART

Dave

Quote from: "kb426"Frank, I have around 3" to remove at the top. I don't have an electric knife close to the length I need.

Got a bic lighter  :?:  :twisted:  :twisted:
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"Frank, I have around 3" to remove at the top. I don't have an electric knife close to the length I need.

Don't try to wack the whole piece at once....Think "shaving" with the knife ACROSS the width.....Smaller pieces--A little at a time ....Sometimes a FINE tooth hacksaw blade..( No handle) , can be used....
Maybe look here ???

http://www.atrim.com/Page4a.html
Bob....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Topsterguy

If you don't have an electric carving knife use a seated edge bread knife and just whittle it down a chunk at a  time.. That's what I did.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

C9

Electric knife.

That's what the kid who did my 32's seat used.

He cut the foam, held it back and cut again.

You can carve a turkey with a pocketknife, just takes a while....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Bugpac

Walmart has the turkey knifes cheap, Or if you would rather shop at a higher class store, any big box store likely has them for 15-20 bux...

t boner

It is kind of hard to explain with  just words, but cut the foam into slices,  ( like 6" wide) verticaly with a band saw, then cut out the wedge pieces ( 2" to 0") out of each slice, then glue the slices back together.

chimp koose

a buddy of mine who used to race R/C cars would freeze the foam tires and then lathe them round every now and then. Would freezing the foam make it less messy ,possibly easier to grind?

brti

Years ago I worked in a foam rubber mine............. :?  We used electric knives for the small stuff and had a real big one for the bigger stuff like mattresses etc. Any "cuttings" that were developed were used for pillows etc................ :roll:  It was nice and dry down there and a real safe place to work cause if you happen to fall down well,,,,,,,,,,,,you just bouced back up :wink:

ok, ok I'm just working on my TEAM apprenticship :P

Use an electric knife, section the cushion and glue it back together it works great. :wink:
what\'s that noise,,,,,, never mind I\'ll check it later

kb426

TEAM SMART