Help with my kids Jeep - Dead Battery?

Started by msuguydon, December 31, 2007, 04:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

Need your help, yet once again.  :roll:

So the kids ride is a , 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I think has a dead battery.  I do not know the age of the battery.

I had to doors open most of afternoon, kid spilled soda and we washed out the carpet so had the doors open to dry.  Went to start it... dead, dead, dead.

Jump started it, started and ran... let in run for about 10-15 minutes... shut it off, went to start it... nothing... dead, dead, dead, no lights, no nothing...

re-connected the jumper cables, we got lights etc... starts... runs... as soon as we shut it off... dead.

when the jeep is running, the little voltage gauge say 14 amps....

anything else I should check or do?
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

MrMopar64

Check that the posts are clean and the cables are tight......  :wink:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

enjenjo

You may have to charge it for a while to make things happen.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

msuguydon

Quote from: "enjenjo"You may have to charge it for a while to make things happen.

so put it on a charger and see what happens???

phat rat

Quote from: "msuguydon"
Quote from: "enjenjo"You may have to charge it for a while to make things happen.

That's the best way
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Dave

Well if it runs when ya jump it ita gotta be a bad battery or dirty cables don.. Also if you want eat at kzoo lunch would be better.. We could go for lunch and some beers.. you will just have to get up early to rally with us..
Ya ill have your jacket ... You like pink  :?: And im sure bugpac cnd bring some of them  * print cookies too.
Dave :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

enjenjo

On some of the newer cars, there is a temp control in the computer that will shut off the alternator if the charge rate is too high. On these cars with a dead battery, the alternator won't function. So you have to charge the battery with an external charger.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

msuguydon

I love showing off my ignorance to the world  :roll:

I guess that's why the guys of Team Smart were so quick to ask me to join   :lol:

soooo I put the jeep on the charger....  when I jump start it, it starts... when I try and use the charger start position... lots of fast clicks, no motor turn over... as of right now... does not seem like the battery is taking or holding a charge... anyway to tell for sure... don't want to spend the money on a battery if it is something else.... call me cheap!

UGLY OLDS

Quotesoooo I put the jeep on the charger....  when I jump start it, it starts... when I try and use the charger start position... lots of fast clicks, no motor turn over... as of right now... does not seem like the battery is taking or holding a charge... anyway to tell for sure...

The charger may not have the capacity to boost the system enough to crank the engine ...Jumping from another car will....This sounds like a battery or cableconnection issue...When running , what does the voltmeter say??  Does the dome light get brighter if the RPM's are increased slightly??  Get dimmer if the heater blower is turned on ?? (Sneaky charging system test there) ...
Is this battery original to '94????
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

msuguydon

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Quotesoooo I put the jeep on the charger....  when I jump start it, it starts... when I try and use the charger start position... lots of fast clicks, no motor turn over... as of right now... does not seem like the battery is taking or holding a charge... anyway to tell for sure...

The charger may not have the capacity to boost the system enough to crank the engine ...Jumping from another car will....This sounds like a battery or cableconnection issue...When running , what does the voltmeter say??  Does the dome light get brighter if the RPM's are increased slightly??  Get dimmer if the heater blower is turned on ?? (Sneaky charging system test there) ...

Thanks for you PM  8) -- I have lots to think about....  

when the jeep is running, the volt guage reads 14 volts... have not noticed a light dimming kinda thing going on....

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

Thanks for you PM  8) -- I have lots to think about....  

when the jeep is running, the volt guage reads 14 volts... have not noticed a light dimming kinda thing going on....

Any time on the PM Thing...Again..Thank You.... :wink:

As far as the Jeep....If the cables are clean & tight my vote goes for battery...Normally If it wasn't chargin' it won't stay runnin'....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

msuguydon

GOT IT FIXED.... WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO   :D

Feeling good about myself.... Mr. Fix it DAD!   8)

Cables were not clean and tidy, but they are now... the jeep starts, runs etc... leaving the battery on the charger to get it a nice full charge.

Thanks Guys !!

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "msuguydon"GOT IT FIXED.... WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO   :D

Feeling good about myself.... Mr. Fix it DAD!   8)

Cables were not clean and tidy, but they are now... the jeep starts, runs etc... leaving the battery on the charger to get it a nice full charge.

Thanks Guys !!

Good job Dad :!:  :-o

whats next......oil change :idea:       lube job :idea:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

msuguydon

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"

Vance

Lets not get carried away here... I was thinking more along the lines of checking the air pressure in the tires.

Don

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"

Vance

Lets not get carried away here... I was thinking more along the lines of checking the air pressure in the tires.

Don

OK........baby steps :lol:  :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****