help with my frame

Started by oiler, December 30, 2007, 02:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oiler

This is the problem I have with putting a nailhead and a Tremec 5 speed in my A sedan
I've had to notch out the x member to make room for the rear of the trans
So what would be the best way to get the strength back into the x-member while still having clearance
Thanks
Jeff

Dave

Quote from: "oiler"This is the problem I have with putting a nailhead and a Tremec 5 speed in my A sedan
I've had to notch out the x member to make room for the rear of the trans
So what would be the best way to get the strength back into the x-member while still having clearance
Thanks
Jeff

Can we get a better bigger pic.. Id like to see more of the frame before i suggest anything.. Usually just a good strong removable cross member under the transmission will suffice. Look at the frames out there and you will see that the majority of the strength comes from good strong boxed outside rails.. Then tie them together really good front and rear and your almost there. Then comes the x member .. The best way is to make the xmember meet the frame rails and each other from side to side in at least one spot on the frame to help tie everything together. The you use it to mount brake mounts and exhaust and stuff like that..
Dave

kb426

TEAM SMART

Canuck

Set mine up originally for a 350/350 combo, when I changed to a Nailhead/SP400 the rear of the trans is right on top of the crossmember "U".  As the crossmember also mounts the rear suspension arms I decided it wouldn't be that big a deal to pull the motor to service the trans, hood and rad and your there.

Just left the crossmembergoing under the rear of the trans.

Just another .02

Those nailheads are long suckers, especially in a little A.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/