Started by tomslik, December 29, 2007, 10:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

plastic?
aluminum?
foam?
no foam?
paper mache'?

looking at replacing the tank in the rambler (aka Berthoud Brown Streak) with a 10-12 gallon with a sender.....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"plastic?
aluminum?
foam?
no foam?
paper mache'?

looking at replacing the tank in the rambler (aka Berthoud Brown Streak) with a 10-12 gallon with a sender.....

can not use foam inserts with a sender as i recall.

Most folks use the plastic cell.

DO U have a particular  design needed for a racing sanction body or just a hard core street car.

How did the paper line art work item from ebay work for you?  I've looked at the same design , not sure how the multiple page printing would line up in real life.

thanks for any answer you may have related to that item.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "tomslik"plastic?
aluminum?
foam?
no foam?
paper mache'?

can not use foam inserts with a sender as i recall.

Most folks use the plastic cell.

DO U have a particular  design needed for a racing sanction body or just a hard core street car.

gotta be NHRA legal....
i'm leaning away from foam filled....

How did the paper line art work item from ebay work for you?  I've looked at the same design , not sure how the multiple page printing would line up in real life.

thanks for any answer you may have related to that item.

8)

i dunno yet, got to find a spot on the wall to put it.
really, all i bought it for was to lay out some paint (!) schemes.
i  could have just printed out the picture he posted (and i did;))

guess i'm gonna have to buy a 4x8 piece of sheetrock and finish the shop..... :roll:

dragrcr50

I always use the aluminum and no foam, however they make it with foam and a caged type sender that works well ... imount mine half in and half out of the car leaves a good floor and not too visible uner car.  good luck
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

enjenjo

I prefer aluminum, the plastic warps over time.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Pete

I have one car with plastic and a guage..It is stuffed with gas foam.
The other car has a steel can with plastic cell and alcohol foam. No guage.
The metal can is required by most racing associations.
Mine are both ATL brand. The one with the can is NHRA, SCCA, SCTA, FIA and WoO approved.
Pete

Crosley.In.AZ

slik,

how long will you own the car ?

Some inexpensive plastic fuel cells on ebay.  Aluminum cells with senders ; GM ohm rated.  I am sure you have seen them.

8)

Do these require 'cert' numbers on them for inspection at the track??
Tony

Pete

Most racing associations require a "cert" no.

chimp koose

make sure when you mount the cell that it is not higher than the top of the tires. thats a rule in the nhra book that is often overlooked when building a car.

C9

The top of the cell higher than the top of the tires?

Or do some mount it with the bottom of the cell higher than the tires?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JAZ makes a pretty good cell, foam is long lasting, comes with a capicitance sender that's not so long lasting.

Get the circle track model with the outlet at the top.

I'd opt for one with an aluminum case.

The JAZ cells tend to weep at the fuel flange for the fill tube.

Has to do with the way the inner flange is built.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Summit's universal aluminum fuel tank is nice, but it's not a fuel cell.

No foam = straight fuel tank.

Foam = fuel cell.

Summit also has a problem with the weeping/leaking at the fuel flange for the fill tube.

Same problem as the JAZ only worse.

The Summit tank has four feet welded on, but that's not sufficient to keep it from levering back and forth and tearing the welded feet off or open and dumping fuel inside the car - if the cell is inside the car.

If I can find an article I wrote I'll make a separate post on the Summit tank and one way to cure the flange problem.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Crosley.In.AZ

never heard of the rule on the fuel cell & tire height.   always something toi watch out for.

IF the SFI cert tag is required on a fuel cell, I wonder on time limit for that to expire?  OR does the rules vary on the ETs run?

There has been a bit of discussion on some of NHRA's rules on tube for roll cages in the fast cars.  They require CM tube in the fast cars, yet the racers question that since NASCAR uses mild steel tube.   that is what I have read.
Tony

C9

Quote from: "Crosley"never heard of the rule on the fuel cell & tire height.   always something toi watch out for.

IF the SFI cert tag is required on a fuel cell, I wonder on time limit for that to expire?  OR does the rules vary on the ETs run?

There has been a bit of discussion on some of NHRA's rules on tube for roll cages in the fast cars.  They require CM tube in the fast cars, yet the racers question that since NASCAR uses mild steel tube.   that is what I have read.

Me too on the cell height, but it makes good sense.

I don't remember seeing a date tag on the fuel cell.
I ran the JAZ cell just short of 14 years.
When removed, the foam was still in great shape.

I hear that some of the foam in other brand tanks deteriorates, probably due to our marvelous gasoline.

Where is NHRA's break for 'fast' cars?

They need to make up their cotton pickin' minds.

When little brother built his Henry J he got it certified with .120 wall tubing and a couple months later the .134 rule came out.

Lotta scared guys running around worried that they would have to do a major rebuild.
They grandfathered the .120 cars in I understand.

IMO, if they feel improvements are needed in the roll cage area, they should mandate additional bracing which wouldn't be too difficult to install.

Seems too, that some areas of drag racing are getting away from NHRA.
Note the rise in popularity of nostalgia drag racing.

Far as mild steel vs chrome-moly tubing goes, looks like NHRA is going for strength and NASCAR is going for malleability.
Not to mention that CM tends to crack over time and mild steel doesn't.

Said cracking requiring a new or partial frame.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Crosley.In.AZ

C9... cracking of CM tube  is one reason most land speed cars are mild steel tube = I've read and been told this.

Cage rules change with NHRA rules at various ET levels. I think at 10.70s or 10.90s the cage rules start in on a serious note.

NASCAR run speeds at 170 - 200 mph.  Drag cars run similar speeds in a shorter distance.

I thought NHRA rules apply at most drag strips regardless of class?  Nostalgia cars are rebuilt to modern specs too?
Tony

tomslik

C9, your weeping might have been cured by using windshield urethane :roll:

most bodied car cells i've seen at the track have it mounted to the trunk floor (inside the trunk).
i don't THINK this car will be fast enough to warrant much more than that as it won't be a tube frame car.
from what i've heard, it may not even get foam with the crap gas we got (i want to run pump gas for now, maybe E85 later)

how do the aluminum cells handle alky?
THAT makes me think plastic (lots of OEM tanks are plastic, i ought to know, i put enough fuel pumps in 'em;)

but i DO want a sender which brings me to my next question;

any idea what ohm sender a rambler fuel guage uses?

dragrcr50

Quote from: "chimp koose"make sure when you mount the cell that it is not higher than the top of the tires. thats a rule in the nhra book that is often overlooked when building a car.

I always mount it low in the floor , however i think nhra rescinded that rule??   ill need to look in the 08 book , but good sendse says dont just lay it in the floor
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,