Tools you have beat up for years

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, December 25, 2007, 11:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

any of you ol codgers have a mechanic  tool that you have beat the snot out for  years?

I have an old C clamp that I have bent from use , welded braces on to it. Probably had this clamp for over 25 yrs.

:arrow:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

guess i misread....i thought you said "fools"....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

dragrcr50

I was a snap on dealer until 1979 and i still have my 1/2 inch snap on IM5 impact that was a black loaner for when the mechanics impacts had to be repaired and i loaned it out. well it is still hitting hard and looks like hell .. also have a 1922 snap on ratchet of sorts that i still use and is still in decent condition ...
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

mr t body

I have a set of Craftsman wrenches from my grandfather. I don't know how long they've been selling them, but I'm guessing these are from the 40's. There's no chrome vanadium on these wrenches....
If you are looking for vintage gauges or Mickey Thompson valve covers, I may be able to help

enjenjo

I have a set of WWII era Snap On sockets, and ratchet. They are cadnium plated rather than chrome, because of the war. My grandfather bought them when he worked at Willys

The ratchet broke a few years ago, the Snap On dealer wanted to replace it with a new one, because the repair kit wouldn't fit properly. I said no, and modified the repair kit to fit the ratchet.

I also have some cold chisels hand forged from Model T axles, and pry bars hand forged from rebar that were made in the 20s by a blacksmith
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carps

Quote from: "Crosley"I have an old C clamp that I have bent from use , welded braces on to it. Probably had this clamp for over 25 yrs.

He Cros, I see your problem.  Maleable means it's easy to bend or shape, you should be using another clamp.  The one that says 'hardened' or such like.   :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Iknow this because it was part of my induction for membership of Team Smart.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Dave

Quote from: "Carps"
Quote from: "Crosley"I have an old C clamp that I have bent from use , welded braces on to it. Probably had this clamp for over 25 yrs.

He Cros, I see your problem.  Maleable means it's easy to bend or shape, you should be using another clamp.  The one that says 'hardened' or such like.   :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Iknow this because it was part of my induction for membership of Team Smart.

Carps your my hero..
Id have thrown that clamp in the trash a long time ago .. I dont think id have spent the time to even waste welding rod on it..  :lol: You can get em at H/F for next to nothing and they are junk too so you stretch em out and toss em out.. I got all new stuff after the great robbery here but ya know I didnt have anything that ugly before i was ripped off.. I do have some nice c clamps but they weren't attached to the tool chest so i still have em.. Yup they are quality items and have been for prolly 30 years..
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

brti

I bought a 1/2 x 9/16 craftsman box end wrench in 1967 and ground the edges of both ends to about 1/16 thick to get to those real tight spots and have used it and abused it for the past 40 years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it's an old friend. :roll: it has it's own speacial spot in the tool box. 8)
what\'s that noise,,,,,, never mind I\'ll check it later

oiler

I have a 0-5 inch micrometer that my grandfather used when he was a mechanic
That would have been in the late 30's
still as good as new
Jeff

41woodie

I'm 61 years old and still have the 1/2" drive Craftsman ratchet and socket set that my dad gave me for my 16th birthday.  The only piece missing is the 3/4" socket that I dropped down inside a 16ft. sign pipe several years ago.  I thought I was going to cry.

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Deuce

I got broken into ... in the 70's and cleaned out ... Big Snap On tool box ... top and bottom with the GOOD stuff ... all gone so I have very few OLD, OLD tools. I have a few that my Dad had ... got them after his death a few years ago.

BUT I do have a set of acetylene/oxygen bottles with the date 1932 on the bottom

Have a friend who gets them refilled for me...  :D  and brings them back to me ... NO EXCHANGES on these.  

RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

wayne petty

malliable means you can pound it back into shape.... use a bigger hammer....

i have a 17 pound sledge hammer.. wonderfull wide head..

one day when i got to work the body guy was trying to straighten  a bumper reinforcment with a 6 pounder...  it was just bouncing off....  i yelled over adn said..  do you need a bigger hammer...   when i pulled the 17 pounder out of the trunk his eyes bugged out... it only took two hits to flatten it... it then went back into the car.. i never leave that out... anywhere...

oh... and another tool tip....

on the long nose pliers that everybody gets from hf... !!" ones...    open them wide and grind a small depression on either side of the jaws about 3/8" back from the tips... this allows you to grab items that have fallen and to hold on tight..   i can pick up a bolt with them... and it wont slip out....

i was going to post a picture of my tool boxes with all the drawers overflowing but the best pic i have won't reduce...no matter what i do to it

chimp koose

I machined and case hardened a prick punch and a center punch with my initials punched into them about 25 yrs ago.still have them as well as a drill press vice I machined back then.The boring head I made for a trade school project disappeared. I still have most of my craftsman set that I bought in 1980.

Crosley.In.AZ

obviously I did not need a malleable clamp at the time.. it ain't malleable any more.

Still functions good for me.  some stoopid pud would throw it out I guess.

8)

fireworks going off next door.  Need to call the sheriff
Tony