O/T Boat V-Drives?????

Started by Nick32Vic, December 23, 2007, 04:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick32Vic

I am looking for information about the v-drive units used in boats/drag boats. I have been reading the forums on hotboat.com but it is down for updates or something.

I was just wondering if anyone here is into drag boats or any kind of boats using v-drive. Or if you could lead me to some good websites with information. Im looking for info as to who makes/sells them and what kind of different set-ups are available.

I have found a little info on the internet but am looking for more.

Thanks,
-Nick

Dave

Quote from: "Nick32vic"I am looking for information about the v-drive units used in boats/drag boats. I have been reading the forums on hotboat.com but it is down for updates or something.

I was just wondering if anyone here is into drag boats or any kind of boats using v-drive. Or if you could lead me to some good websites with information. Im looking for info as to who makes/sells them and what kind of different set-ups are available.

I have found a little info on the internet but am looking for more.

Thanks,
-Nick

What do you wanna know Nick? Basically they are like a sprint car in and out box but they are set up to be hooked up behind the engine and in an angle configuration then the shaft for the prop can be sent down and out to the rear of the boat. Im used to jet drives and regular drives that hook to the rear of the engine with the engine pointing forward in the vessel not to the rear. All these pretty much hook up with a bell housing and a coupling to drive them. Im sure there is more than one place on the net to get info on these..
Dave

try here for a start bottom of the page.. these even have reverse something that the early ones for just racing i dont thing had..
http://www.perfprotech.com/store/articles/marine-transmissions.aspx

Nick32Vic

Thanks Dave. A couple specific questions I had: Do they make one direct drive? Say, 1:1? Like if you already have a transmision? I was thinking i saw one somewhere on the interent that was 1:1 with no reverse or neutral or antyhing like that. If i had one of those, could I just put the tranny in reverse if I need to back up?

Bugpac

Seems like if i remember correctly, a v drive attaches directly to the block, you dont use the transmission...Best bet IMO is to find a wrecked boat, they are all over, and buy a v drive unit..
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

donsrods

I'm more familiar with the ones used in pleasure craft as opposed to racing boats, but these units are usually part of the bellhousing as mentioned.  I do know also that they are generally less efficient than direct drive because of some power loss internal to the v drive itself.  Whether that has been dealt with in drag boat units, I don't know, but based on this video they evidently run pretty well.

Here is another site that might offer some help.

http://www.menkensvdrives.com/hallcraft.htm

Don

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Ya Nick if i remember right years ago they made them specifically for drag boats and no reverse and a im sure it was a 1to 1 ratio.. Just remember I was wrong one before .. I just cant remember when that was..  :lol:  :lol:
Dave

GPster

I see in the latest Rod and Custom magizine that Barnet Navarro has died. In their RIP they mention his boat racing and in a recent "rodder's Jpurnal" they did an in depth article on him. He was responcible for the design of a de-clutching drivefor the props on racing boats and I wouldn't be surprised that there would be a lot of interesting information on sites found using his name or maybe H & H . Maybe nothing but it would be an interesting journey. GPster

Dr Flowgood

That "declutching device" may have been a whirlaway.  It lets the prop freewheel in the event of a locked up motor at high speeds to prevent the boat from going end over end. When you let off the gas on a boat without one it feels like you hit the brakes (hard)

http://www.arnesonconsulting.com/WWII.htm

Doug

Quote from: "GPster"I see in the latest Rod and Custom magizine that Barnet Navarro has died. In their RIP they mention his boat racing and in a recent "rodder's Jpurnal" they did an in depth article on him. He was responcible for the design of a de-clutching drivefor the props on racing boats and I wouldn't be surprised that there would be a lot of interesting information on sites found using his name or maybe H & H . Maybe nothing but it would be an interesting journey. GPster

wayne petty

you might check this link

http://www.glenwoodmarine.com/Catalog.htm

wayne...

i always thought  that an overdrive tranny section like someone got lenco to modify for the salt flats racing would work better as once you get up on the plane you can use the extra prop speed in overdrive....

i am not a boat prop math major .. my total boat experiance was 22 years on a 104' wooden powerboat that was a converted army rescue vessel from wwII... it had twin disc 3:1 reduction drives to the 32" 28 pitch props..