Door poppers or trunk poppers..

Started by Dave, December 17, 2007, 06:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I got the latch stuff mounted for my deck lid.  :ha) About an hours worth of work today at the shop making a couple brackets ..Worked out great  I just need to get a cable going for it but no problem on that i have an idea.. ( i did learn im too old to be climbing in a trunk and closing myself in and measuring stuff) Its hard to get out ...Since this one isn't gonna have any handle on the deck lid im wondering if any of you have tried the door poppers to lift a deck lid enuff to get your fingers under it to lift it  :?: Id like to use just one if i can but it may require 2 to get the job done right.. This is another one of these deals where * that worked great but now ... Ive got to get a prop for it also.. Id also thought about a stock handle but i dunno if i can cut it off and fix it so it doesnt turn and just use it for lifting. I cant put a hole in the deck lid as the pin for the latch is where the handle hole would go.... I do have time to think about this ..
Dave  :wink:

enjenjo

Door poppers work fine. I have also used pin ejectors from box dies, only because I have some.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

EMSjunkie

I used two of the "stiff" poppers from Speedway on my Coupe.
they do OK, but I need to do some adjusting.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/2426,378_Stiffer-Door-and-Trunk-Poppers.html?itemNo=door%20poppers

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Charlie Chops 1940

Dave,

The OEM left side prop for a '32 trunk lid is as simple and elegant solution as there is. And, it looks like trunk prop, requires no wires or batteries and works with tupperware as well as steel.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

CQQL33

Here is what I used on my "33 Coupe.
First pic show the Deck support, cheap and does the trick.   Easy to install.

The second pic shows the fabricated lip on the Deck lid.   This is to allow you to put your fingers under the edge after the Deck is popped open.  This way I did not need a handle on the Deck lid.

This pic shows the two popers installed to pop the Deck lid when the solenoid has been triggered.   I also modified the latch and used a Bear Claw type latch.   It works great with a solenoid.   I also installed a pull cable (hood latch type cable) with the handle under the rear of the car,
just incase the battery went dead......    It could happen, and you need a way to get to the battery which is in the trunk area.    I hope this helps.

Please over look the dust and dirt in the deck area.   I have been working on the car (and in the garage area) and did not clean it up for these pictures.   I sure hope this gives you some ideas and helps.
Rich

MrMopar64

You could just tie a piece of rope to the inside of the deck lid and let it hang out the back  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Jus kid'n  :lol:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Dave

Quote from: "CQQL33"Here is what I used on my "33 Coupe.
First pic show the Deck support, cheap and does the trick.   Easy to install.

The second pic shows the fabricated lip on the Deck lid.   This is to allow you to put your fingers under the edge after the Deck is popped open.  This way I did not need a handle on the Deck lid.

This pic shows the two popers installed to pop the Deck lid when the solenoid has been triggered.   I also modified the latch and used a Bear Claw type latch.   It works great with a solenoid.   I also installed a pull cable (hood latch type cable) with the handle under the rear of the car,
just incase the battery went dead......    It could happen, and you need a way to get to the battery which is in the trunk area.    I hope this helps.

Please over look the dust and dirt in the deck area.   I have been working on the car (and in the garage area) and did not clean it up for these pictures.   I sure hope this gives you some ideas and helps.
Rich

That looks good rich.. ill have to get some pics of mine. It really went easy and im using one of the bear claw trunk/hood type latches.. Im gonna use a simple wire or cable to open the latch but id like to get the poppers to get the deck lid up enuff to get my fingers under it to open it.. No biggie just wondered what everyone was using.... Vance has he looking at the speedway ones cause the just mount in a 1/2 inch hole thats better than having a hole and adding 2 other holes to mount the * things.
Thanks everyone
Dave

CQQL33

Yes Dave, that is simular to what I did.   If you notice, in the second picture, I have cut away half of the thickness of the deck lid flange to make is easy to put your fingers under the lip of the deck lid when opening it.   The poppers will only lift the lid a little bit, by cuting away half of the flange makes it very easy to lift the lid without getting hand prints all over the back edge of the deck lid....   Good luck Bro.   I also provided a manual means of opening the deck with a cable pull.....just incase the battery failed (or something) to allow access to the inside of the deck.

Rich

C9

Taurus wagon gas cylinder.

A bit strong, I need a cushioned stopper so it doesn't bang the trunk lid open.
Works pretty good as it is, starts to open slow and then takes off fast.
I can reach the release ok from the outside while keeping a hand on the trunk lid to slow it down at the top of the stroke.

The multi-hole bracket is just to find the right place - ratio etc. - for the upper part of the gas cylinder.
I have a smaller single hole bracket ready to go.

I made a couple of poppers, but they won't be used.
The trunk lid starts open on its own except when it's cold out.
The weather stripping will give the lid a bit of a start when it's cold, so for now, no poppers.

Small Bear Claw style latch.

Diesel tuck pull cable with solid wire inside.

1/4-28 stainless bolt, head cut off, center drilled for release cable, JB Welded together.

A sheet metal cover will protect the latch mechanism and cable from stuff in the trunk knocking it open or hanging things up.
Been there, done that when I packed for three days at March Meet in the rumble seat 32 roadster.
Couldn't get the lid open.
A bit of a worry cuz along with the food & steaks, clothing and sleeping bag to use in my pals trailer all the beer was in there.

1/8" back-up plate which goes inside to reinforce the sheet metal as well as shim the latch out to the right place.

Whole deal works pretty good, smooth manual release and an electric release may be added later on.

Fwiw - I see Ford Explorers and other soccer mom vans with what look to be very nice back door latching mechanisms.
Many of them the Bear Claw type and they look easy to remove.
A plus is that many of them have an electric release.

The upper part of the latch.

The original bolt wouldn't work due to the angles involved so I came up with this.
Looks to be a bit of a head banger and it can be, but just opening the trunk and getting stuff out it's not a problem.
During construction though, banged my head more than a few times. :oops:

Many bad words were spoken.... :lol:
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Uncle Bob

Just a quick note on the Speedway poppers.  After waiting a few months for them to fill the backorder on the pair I ordered I ended up sending them back after receiving them last week.  They changed suppliers, as often happens, and the new ones are different than what's shown in the catalog/website.  These needed a 3/4" hole, and secured with a set screw clamped slip collar rather than a threaded collar.  Neither of those were the issues that caused the rejection.  In order to get the plunger to move AT ALL I had to lean my svelte  :wink: 205 # into it while holding it to a post.  I can see ruining a lot of body work trying to close a decklid on even one of those puppies.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Dave

Charlie I had to put in an order for my headlight parts that i needed and they had a trunk prop thats for a model a but the pic looks just like a 32 and im sure it will work so for 16 bucks and some change its ordered along with headlight stuff..  Thats a lot cheaper than the 50-60 dollar ones and it just holds the trunk lid open anyway :!:  8) .. Uncle Bob thanks for the info on the trunk poppers.. Ill work on that also.. They sure dont need to be that strong. I may just try and design my own but finding time to make the stuff at work isnt easy anymore.. I guess that just comes with being more important  :?: .
I was gonna take my headlight buckets in tomorrow and try blasting them but ive got a bunch of stuff to do and I dunno if i can get them done :x .  heading to the garage and im gonna take some pics of my latch mounts..
Dave :!:  :arrow:

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "jusjunk"Charlie I had to put in an order for my headlight parts that i needed and they had a trunk prop thats for a model a but the pic looks just like a 32 and im sure it will work so for 16 bucks and some change its ordered along with headlight stuff..  Thats a lot cheaper than the 50-60 dollar ones and it just holds the trunk lid open anyway :!:  8) .. Uncle Bob thanks for the info on the trunk poppers.. Ill work on that also.. They sure dont need to be that strong. I may just try and design my own but finding time to make the stuff at work isnt easy anymore.. I guess that just comes with being more important  :?: .
I was gonna take my headlight buckets in tomorrow and try blasting them but ive got a bunch of stuff to do and I dunno if i can get them done :x .  heading to the garage and im gonna take some pics of my latch mounts..
Dave :!:  :arrow:

Wow...there's hope for you after all - LOL

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!