Ford AOD trans identify

Started by zzebby, December 10, 2007, 11:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzebby

OK I give up.  Can't figure out what I've got as the info on the net has me confused.
Bought a junkyard low miles 5.0 HO Ford with attached automatic transmission.  Pulled it myself to get all the extras.  Junkyard said that it was a 93 Lincoln and I took their word for it.  When I started getting parts for it the NAPA guys said that no it was not a 93 Lincoln,  serpentine belt was different.
Anyway, I've got it installed in a 71 Ford pickup and am working through the wiring harness for the fuel injection.  It runs.....sorta but that is a separate issue.  If the trans is an  AODE then I need to wire it to the computer for it to be shifted.  If it is an not AODE then ???
One of the internet site said to count the pan bolts.  16  for an AODE / 4R70W     and 14 bolts for a plain AOD.    Well I just counted them and it has 14 bolts in the pan.  It does have a TV cable and I have not touched it.  It does have the speed sensor, 2 pin connector on the tailstock.   What has me confused is that it has an extra round connector above the shifter shaft.  This round connector was what made me think it was AODE.  It is round and has 4 pins and a space for a fifth that is not there.  This round connector is / was in the Lincoln wiring harness but I'm using a Mustang harness for MAF  (another subject) and that connector is not in the harness.  I am using the Mustang computer for an automatic Mustang,  supposedly a 90 model but again I'm taking someone elses word for it.
What have I got  AOD   or    AODE  or  4R70W  and what is the extra connector for ??
thanks

Leon

That round connector is for the neutral safety switch/backup lights, two pins neutral safety, other two for backup lights.  

When you say you haven't touched the TV cable, you mean you haven't changed the setting from what it was in the Lincoln?  Also, were the parts guys looking up a Lincoln Town Car?  The 5.0 HO was used on the Lincoln Mark LSC.

The Engine will be wired similar to the Mustang, but without the MAF sensor.  If you are using a Mustang computer, several wires need to be changed.

junkyardjeff

I doubt its a 93 since they went to the 4.6 in mid 91,I have a 91 lincoln in the back yard with a 5.0 and I put a headliner in a customers 91 and it had a 4.6.  If it has a TV cable its most likely a AOD since the others are computer controlled and the connector you mention is for the neutral safety switch.   Jeff

31suv

Go to Ford forums.com or txchange.com for tv cable adjustment procedure
East Texas,the right side of Texas