Rear axle for 32 roadster...

Started by Bugpac, December 02, 2007, 07:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bugpac

What is the ideal rear axle for my 32 roadster project, Fords 9" There seems to be a lot of variables in a 9" any particular one?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

Charlie Chops 1940

The 9" from 57-59 wagons has been in favor for a long while along with the 8" rears from Mavericks. The middle ground for width seems to be 56" wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface (any other measurement such as backing plate to backing plate is pretty much worthless ). I'm running a Winter QC in my '32 and it is right around 55-1/4".

There are some lists out on the web that list a whole slew of rear end widths but I don't have an address at hand.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Bugpac

if you stumble across that list please post it, thank you much!!

WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Bugpac

Another newb question, gear ratio, open, ls etc? what is the prefered choices?

GPster

I find a lot of good information on Enjenjo's web sit. He has a 8", 9" information under the tech heading on his site. Try High Q Ties You might also think about what wheel lug pattern you want, 4 1/2" 5" or 5 1/2". GPster

Bugpac

I just looked thru tech, maybe i am blind but i didnt see it, all tho I did see charleychops chassis, Bad azz, Kudos charlie, you look to be a real craftsman... :D

Bruce Dorsi

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Deuce

:D

At last ... a subject I know a little bit about ...

Same 32 3W ... just a little primer and fenders added. I have a 56 inch wide 9 inch under the 32 3W ... with 3  inch backspacing. Fits under the fenders and does not rub the inner body either. I used a 57 Ford 9 inch and shortened it ... one side only. TCI installs 56 inch wide 9 inch Fords under all their 32, 33 to 40 Ford frames.

The roadster has a 58 inch wide 9 inch from a late 60's Bronco. I am using rims with a 3 and 1/2 inch back space. The Bronco rear has the 5 on 5.5 wheel pattern so early Ford rims bolt up ... no problem.
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Bugpac"I just looked thru tech, maybe i am blind but i didnt see it, all tho I did see charleychops chassis, Bad gizmo, Kudos charlie, you look to be a real craftsman... :D

Oh no this comment is not going to be good for the size of Charlie's head.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

gregga

Have you seen the new Currie Plus 9 rear that Speedway carries?  New 56" housing with dual pattern axles.  They carry the new brakes and new nodular center sections, too.  Look at the Currie website for the details.  I'm going to get one for Christmas.
Sorry, Yogi's has the centers.  Speedway has rebuilt ones.

Charlie Chops 1940

Bugpac is doing pretty good for a newbie. He's learning how to suck up to his elders, John.

My head is doing just fine...LOL

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Bugpac

:D  Actually, I just know were to look for good info.... :D

river1

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Quote from: "Bugpac"I just looked thru tech, maybe i am blind but i didnt see it, all tho I did see charleychops chassis, Bad gizmo, Kudos charlie, you look to be a real craftsman... :D

Oh no this comment is not going to be good for the size of Charlie's head.

John

and he already doesn't have enough hair to cover it :roll:  :roll:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

donsrods

You ask about gear ratios, open drive etc.  Here is my experience.  I do not like posi units on a short wheelbase, light car.  They can tend to create some handling issues like the tendency to drive the car straight when you are trying to negotiate a turn.  Not always, but sometimes.  May be better on a heavier car like a '32, but I build mostly lighter cars.

Gear ratio is a matter of how much performance you want and what you are willing to put up with.  I have had cars on the street with 5:13 or 4:88 gears, but those days are long gone.  My present car has 3:00 gears and is PERFECT. Has all the power I want and cruises at 70 with very little throttle. My Kids T has 2:79 gears and he needs a deeper gear set, like 3:50's because his cam doesn't start to work until 2700 and he is out of his power band.

In any event, on a street driven car where you want to be able to travel the interstates, anything deeper than 3:50 starts to wind the engine pretty tight. My '27 has 3:70's, but it is a stick and has 30 inch tires in the back.

As for the 8 or 9 inch choice, you really do not need a 9 unless you intend on beating it up occasionally. The 8 inch is lighter and more compact and a good choice for a driver.  But if you want a little insurance, a 9 will provide that little margin of strength, especially with sticky tires.

Don