Purchasing a car from our neighbor to the North??

Started by 40, May 23, 2004, 02:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience bringing a car into the states from Canada?I have talked to a few people but nobody has brought one across since 9/11 and I understand things have changed a bit.I have contacted customs and after going thru what seemed like a million automated menus,I finally got to talk to a real person...unfortunately...her shoe size exceeded her IQ :roll: She explained to me what I believe would be the rules if I were bringing an everyday driver across...EPA emissions,DOT safety equipment etc which I believe will be exempt for a 60+ year old car.I am heading to Springfield this upcoming weekend so I won't be going North for a couple of weeks for sure.As always....Any help will be greatly appreciated!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

phat46

I'd call back, maybe you'll get a better Inspector, or you can ask for a Supervisor. Did you call the Customs office at the border crossing you are planning on using to bring the car across? I don't think it is a big deal to bring a car across, just don't try to sneak it across. My Dad was a Customs inspector for 35 years; they seems to be able to sniff out any attempt to smuggle a car over without paying the duty on it. Years ago he took my brothers and I up to the border one day to look at the classic Bently they had confiscated that day. The guy had put Michigan plates and some local bumper stickers on it. It was sold at auction in Detroit.
If you have a hard time finding any info let me know, I have a couple friends who are Customs inspectors that should be able to get the info for you.

btrc

Darlye,
 Did my freind who sells the trailers ever get in contact with you.  If so you could ask him about importing a car from Canada.  I know him and another couple of friends of mine have brought 3 cars over in the last couple of years.  One was a little over a year ago, about 6 months after 9-11.

Bob
Bob

coupla48s

I bought my '48 Chevy pickup in Calgary, Alberta and I live near Seattle.  I was stopped at the border driving it back into the states.  One, no license plate BUT I had a transport temporary sticker from Washington.  So they let that go.  Two, I had to inventory all the spare sheetmetal I had in the bed.  They never looked at my list.  Three, no certifications were required because of the gae of the vehicle. B-U-T............ if the engine is not original AND is newer than 20 years, you must have either (I don't remember which) DOT or EPA papers.  They were being sneaky and asked me the size of my SBC 305.  I told them it was a 327.  They lookes in a book, saw it was older than 20 years, and let me go.  Just had to fill out several sheets of paperwork.  BTW, the truck was Canadian-made.

Kevin in Seattle
Kevin in Seattle

I did make contact with the actual Customs station where I will be crossing the border....the gal was a lot sharper and it seems like it won't be much of a problem.
   Bob,Your buddy did contact me in regard to the trailer...I'll shoot him an e-mail regarding this deal....Thanks!
   Kevin...Thanks for the tip regarding the age of the motor....this old girl will definately have a 283 or 327 in it...at least untill I get thru Customs :wink:

btrc

Daryle,
 I talked to Dale last night and he said all you need is a bill of sale and a title.  There's no duty, just the normal taxes you will pay your state when you license it. He said that's if you are hauling or driving it over yourself.  If you use a transport company it's a little more complicated.  Him and a friend have brought 4 cars over in the last few years.
Bob

Rochie

Daryle,  I haven't forgotten about that Sarnia car we spoke of.  I can't get an answer on the phone.  I think because it was our long weekend just passed, they might have been out of town.  I'm off work today so I'll give them a try.
Talk to you later, Rochie

phat46

Quote from: "Rochie"Daryle,  I haven't forgotten about that Sarnia car we spoke of.  I can't get an answer on the phone.  I think because it was our long weekend just passed, they might have been out of town.  I'm off work today so I'll give them a try.
Talk to you later, Rochie

Sarnia?  I'm five minutes from there. Are you guys coming through this neck of the woods any time soon?

zzebby

Just last November I trailered a 64 Beaumont from Saskatchewan to Arizona.  Crossed the border late at night, about midnight and there was absolutely no lineup.  Had to show a bill of sale and a title (called ownership in Canada),  paid about $15 fee and was away in no more than 30 minutes.  Agents were good to deal with and they even joked about going so far for such a hulk.  It had no motor and yes if the car was much newer, then they would have got into the immissions and safety equip issues.  They gave me a customs clearance approved form which I took to the DMV in Arizona along with the Saskatchewan ownership and got an AZ title  for $4.
I wish big brother was always that easy to deal with.

ps: anybody got a full dash for a 64 Beaumont (same as Tempest GTO) ?

Thanks for all of the help! I'm planning to retrieve the car this weekend....going to try and stop by a little rod run in Devils Lake,North Dakota on the way home.I'll let you know how it goes!
  Wayne,Thanks for trying....it's really not a big deal...it just looked like a solid old project car....I really need another one of those :roll:

Well....Just thought I'd post a quick note to let anyone interested know how I made out at the border.Entering Canada...The fellow checked my drivers license,asked the purpose of my visit and the length of my stay..."Have a nice trip".Crossing the border back into the U.S.was about as easy...The lady checked my bill of sale and transfer of ownership,asked where I lived,I filled out one single page form and I was off...No fees at all!The trip was awesome,drove over to Balder and enjoyed the gracious hospitality of Rick Johnson(Mr. Lowboy),met Ken Harper(Binderskeepers) and his wife,checked out Ken's truck and several in-progress projects at Loboy's Rod Shop.Toured the "Field of Dreams"...If you think you've got too many projects...Stop by Balder! Left for home Sunday morning but not without first stopping by the Rod Run in Devils Lake,North Dakota...drove down with Rick and company,met up with the Lipstick Gals and thier entourage from Winnipeg and then after an all too brief visit,headed off for the 8 hour trip home.Though it was a whirlwind tour...it was a great weekend!Oh Yeah...I also picked up a pretty nice 40 Coupe along the way!

Almost forgot....Ken,quit lurking...jump in and post a picture update of that old "CornBinder"!It was nice meeting you and your wife...It's your turn to come South next!!

moparrodder

Quote from: "40"and then after an all too brief visit,headed off for the 8 hour trip home.Though it was a whirlwind tour...it was a great weekend!Oh Yeah...I also picked up a pretty nice 40 Coupe along the way!
Geez Daryle, I should have gone with ya and helped drive!!  I sure would have liked to see Rick again and the lipstick gals as we will not make it to BTTF again this year :(  * and we were looking foward to seeing that great Canadian group again, but the ole budget just wont allow it this year and will be saving the money that we would have used for that weekend for my b-day BBQ in July.  I'll post more details later.  :wink:  :b-d:  :b-d:          Later,   Bill

Jokester

Congratulations Daryle,  when do we get to see pictures?

It was great re-meeting you and everyone else at Springfield.  It was a good show.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

Brian,It was nice to see you and your wife again as well! Hope you can make it to the Goodguys in Des Moines....Look forward to a longer visit!The car exceeded my expectations and the owners description....It's sure nice to have that happen once in a while!I'm not very skilled at photo posting but I'll give it a try....here goes......
   UPDATE!! I tried but it says the file size is too large....Not sure how to shrink it....someone from the sight was going to e-mail me a program to adjust the size...I either didn't get it or didn't know what it was if I got it :roll: I'll post a shot or two when I am able!